Has anyone actually FAILED the DVLA medical?

Convicted Driver Insurance

YouTeeAitch

Be good to hear from anyone that failed it and hear why?

I'm getting more and more convinced that this medical is more scare mongering than anything else, people with any knowledge of medical things say it is completely untrue that you can trace alcohol in someone's body 3 months since they had a drink!

Doubt they can trace anything in your liver even two months before unless your liver is completely ****ed.

Yes, exactly what i'm being told.
What is this test actually for?? All i can think is the only people who would fail are people who neck a bottle of whisky a day??
I drink a couple of pints a day at lunch, then a fair bit at the weekends, but i'm fairly sure a bit of cutting down on the weekends will mean i'd be fine to be honest.

The test is to find out whether youre dependant or abuse alcohol. Basically to find out if you can be trusted to drive again. If someones a heavy alcoholic, it will obviously show because of the liver damage.

The test is to find out whether youre dependant or abuse alcohol. Basically to find out if you can be trusted to drive again. If someones a heavy alcoholic, it will obviously show because of the liver damage.

But for the casual drinker, even a 'big weekend' drinker, it should be fine with a week or so clean before the test?

I passed. I went a a week long booze trip to Egypt in march and used to drink 2 weekends a months, maybe 10 pints total. my test was in September.

I also lied about not drinking for the last 2 weeks, i had 4 pints on the Sunday before the test. I was pretty unhealthy but I still passed the test.

i had cut down my drinking.

i know someone else who went the doctor just looked at him, no piss test and just blood and he passed. I would class him as a heavy drinker and he was 55 but did a lot of running.

Just be make sure you stay in control of the drink.

This is good info to know, thanks, i reckon i'll be ok then.

how long did it take from taking the medical to them processing it all and getting your licence? i'm due my licence back on 9th december, if i take the medical early november will that leave enough time to have it returned by teh 9th?

I passed. I went a a week long booze trip to Egypt in march and used to drink 2 weekends a months, maybe 10 pints total. my test was in September.

I also lied about not drinking for the last 2 weeks, i had 4 pints on the Sunday before the test. I was pretty unhealthy but I still passed the test.

i had cut down my drinking.

i know someone else who went the doctor just looked at him, no piss test and just blood and he passed. I would class him as a heavy drinker and he was 55 but did a lot of running.

Just be make sure you stay in control of the drink.

Hi I know it's probably not that relevant but I don't know how to start a new thread.

i did the deal medical exam for high risk offenders yesterday and i am not a alcoholic by any stretch of the imagination but I am 23 and a lot of the questions refered to the last 3 years of my life. I am very worried because I stupidly answered honestly and said I had taken amphetamines over 2 years ago and cocaine over 1 year ago. I am worried if I am now going to fail the test even though it was a while ago. Will the see that as persistent misuse of drugs? Will I pass the test?

DVLA may well check this with your doctor.
it will not count as persistent abuse if it is as you describe.
did the doctor ask for a urine sample or indicate that further tests would be carried out on the blood sample?

DVLA may well check this with your doctor.
it will not count as persistent abuse if it is as you describe.
did the doctor ask for a urine sample or indicate that further tests would be carried out on the blood sample?

O right that's good news, yeah obviously it was a long a long time ago.
no the doctor said it was good that I was honest but he wasn't giving much away, but he was quite positive at the end of the appointment he just said give the dvla a call in a month to see where your results are because they are quite slow, other than that no mention of a urine test or any further tests on the blood. I've just been really worried.

Hi All

I have been classed as high risk so following a curfew, fine, dd course and a ban the final thing is a medical. Completing this DD course my ban will end July 2016 goodness me seams light years away!!!!!

Will I get a letter saying I have to arrange my medical? where do I go? Is it my family doctor? Lastly I am more than willing to give up drink altogether prior my thoughts our in the New Year, fresh start?

I know its a long way off but I really want to ignite that light at the end of the tunnel, being able to see it will be my motivation to get through the forth coming months, any advice will be most appreciated x

Hi All

I have been classed as high risk so following a curfew, fine, dd course and a ban the final thing is a medical. Completing this DD course my ban will end July 2016 goodness me seams light years away!!!!!

Will I get a letter saying I have to arrange my medical? where do I go? Is it my family doctor? Lastly I am more than willing to give up drink altogether prior my thoughts our in the New Year, fresh start?

I know its a long way off but I really want to ignite that light at the end of the tunnel, being able to see it will be my motivation to get through the forth coming months, any advice will be most appreciated x

Hi Ally well heres the matches lets get that fire lit:cool: First thing first once you,ve completed the course as you have some time to go give it a while and ensure DVLA have received the certificate and reduced your ban. I assume since your ban you,ve received a letter from DVLA stating you are an HRO and will need a medical i did about 2 weeks after sentencing don,t panic if you haven,t. Ok heres the long wait you will receive a letter from DVLA 90 days before your ban ends make a note on your calender when that 90 days is and if not received by that date get your D1 application form filled out and sent off on that day. The licence application fee to DVLA is £90 i sent a postal order which cost me £101 ish but saves them stalling for time don,t need to give them more excuses than they already got to slow things down. you will then receive a letter about the medical which will say something along the lines of you are classed as HRO and are required a medical by an appointed DVLA doctor which will be somewhere in your area or close to it will say please allow atleast 4 days from receipt of this letter before making an appointment with the DVLA doctor the reason for this is DVLA also send a letter to the practice and when you phone up they will have your info. Book the appointment and take the letter with you i did anyway and don,t forget the £98 could be more if the doctor charges vat mine didn,t but some do then it,s play the waiting game unfortunately thats the worst bit as i,m playing that game at the mo lol

Last edited:
Hi all 1st time poster here.

I'm a 53 year old Diabetic, and as such only get a 3 year licence anyway. My licence was up for renewal last November, and as a former drink driver, I was sent for this medical. I should have researched the details about it, but didn't, and only stopped drinking 2 1/2 days before. I've been out of work for over 2 years now, and had been going out for maybe 6 to 10 units per night, during the week, more over the weekend. Well, my CDT level was 4.9%, and so DVLA refused my licence. I've spoken to GP, and nothing about alcohol dependency was included on the form the sent in about me, so I should be able to reapply the beginning of June. I've since had a CDT Test by MediChecks (as advertised on here), which came back as 1%, which was after about 17 days alcohol free. I'll be getting another one done when I send off my application in early April 18.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off