Convicted Driver Insurance Quotes

Convicted Driver Insurance Quoteline
Convicted driver insurance quote line owned and operated by MCE Insurance

Follow Drinkdriving.org on:


Follow Drinkdriving.org on Facebook Follow Drinkdriving.org on Google+ Follow Drinkdriving.org on Twitter
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: What to do to pass the DVLA medical?

  1. #1
    YouTeeAitch is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    64

    Default What to do to pass the DVLA medical?

    I get my licence back on 9th December, but as my reading was 116 i have to take this medical.

    The information on what to do to ensure you pass is ridiculously vague and practically non existent. I've read a couple of things that suggest you don't drink for 2 months prior to taking the test????

    I have been in touch with a friend who works in medicine, and he said this:

    No, you do not have to abstain for 8 weeks. Alcohol is absorbed/metabolized pretty much the same for everyone (without Liver disease). It depends on how much you drink, body weight and so forth.
    That being said when you have your blood drawn and they check your Liver enzymes, your AST or SGPT will/can rise from alcohol. Your ALT/SGOT is not indicative of alcohol. Other drugs can affect your liver enzymes; Tylenol, NSAIDS,...Exercise, strenuous can also increase liver enzymes from muscle.
    You probably just need to abstain from alcohol for a few days before having your blood drawn.

    Can anyone here confirm or deny what my friend has said? most people i've spoken to and told them about this 2 months non drinking idea seem pretty shocked that that would be the case.

    So can anyone shed any light on just how careful i need to be about this test?


  2. #2
    DrunkDriver is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: What to do to pass the DVLA medical?

    as far as i understand they will test your liver functionality and health, but im not sure on that. If thats the case, no binging or heavy drinkin for you in the month coming up to the test (depends on age and fitness). But this is only what i think will happen cant guarantee anything

  3. #3
    YouTeeAitch is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: What to do to pass the DVLA medical?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkDriver View Post
    as far as i understand they will test your liver functionality and health, but im not sure on that. If thats the case, no binging or heavy drinkin for you in the month coming up to the test (depends on age and fitness). But this is only what i think will happen cant guarantee anything
    yes this is what i've heard as well, but i'm being reliably informed that unless you have severe liver damage it doesn't take a month to 'return to normal', more like a week, if that.

  4. #4
    DrunkDriver is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: What to do to pass the DVLA medical?

    Normal liver should flush filtrate and metabolize everything within a week. Milk thistle tablets can help with this. If you do light drinking within the month to the medical it shouldnt be a problem, however i would play it safe and not drink for two weeks before

  5. #5
    YouTeeAitch is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: What to do to pass the DVLA medical?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkDriver View Post
    Normal liver should flush filtrate and metabolize everything within a week. Milk thistle tablets can help with this. If you do light drinking within the month to the medical it shouldnt be a problem, however i would play it safe and not drink for two weeks before
    Cool, that sounds much more sensible and more realistic.

    What's your situation? are you taking it/taken it?

  6. #6
    DrunkDriver is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: What to do to pass the DVLA medical?

    No i havent been disqualified yet. i just happen to know stuff about drinking

  7. #7
    YouTeeAitch is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: What to do to pass the DVLA medical?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkDriver View Post
    No i havent been disqualified yet. i just happen to know stuff about drinking
    hahaha, fair play!

  8. #8
    richy1234 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: What to do to pass the DVLA medical?

    hi i am a fairly health 33 year old who i would say drinks regularly but i am not an alcohloic . i work every day play football and i am relatively fit and healthy . last year i failed the medical when i got the results i took them to my gp who agreed the results were high but not unusual to someone who drinks often but not dangerously high i was recomended to cut down my drinking but then i suppose everyone has.. i got my second medical booked for the 19 sept and this time i haven had a drink for 4 weeks so far if i dont pass this time think ill bee looking for a liver doner.. but to answer someones question YES you can fail the dvla medical

  9. #9
    YouTeeAitch is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: What to do to pass the DVLA medical?

    Quote Originally Posted by richy1234 View Post
    hi i am a fairly health 33 year old who i would say drinks regularly but i am not an alcohloic . i work every day play football and i am relatively fit and healthy . last year i failed the medical when i got the results i took them to my gp who agreed the results were high but not unusual to someone who drinks often but not dangerously high i was recomended to cut down my drinking but then i suppose everyone has.. i got my second medical booked for the 19 sept and this time i haven had a drink for 4 weeks so far if i dont pass this time think ill bee looking for a liver doner.. but to answer someones question YES you can fail the dvla medical
    So you failed?
    What were you doing in the lead up to the medical? did you stop drinking at all or just carried on as normal? be really good to know as much detail as possible so i don't fall foul of this!!

  10. #10
    richy1234 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: What to do to pass the DVLA medical?

    Convicted Driver Insurance Quotes
    i cut down quite alot but didnt stop completely my broyher passed the same test 2 weeks before i took it and he drinks similar to me so thaught it would be a breeze. as i said im fit and healthy have no medical problems and work everyday so it was a real shock when i failed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. DVLA Medical - Timescale
    By daracam in forum Have you been caught/convicted of drink driving?
    Replies: 140
    Last Post: 04-04-2017, 07:40 AM
  2. DVLA Medical a sham!
    By orca22 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 319
    Last Post: 04-15-2016, 05:02 PM
  3. DVLA Medical High Risk Offender Licence Application Timescale
    By coursecomplete in forum Have you been caught/convicted of drink driving?
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-16-2014, 02:16 PM
  4. DVLA Medical Team
    By gippa182 in forum Have you been caught/convicted of drink driving?
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-21-2011, 08:36 PM
  5. DVLA Medical
    By CHIPSMUM in forum Ask A Solicitor - FREE Legal Advice (Drink Driving Cases in England & Wales, UK)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-2011, 08:43 AM

Thread Rating Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

The thread 'What to do to pass the DVLA medical?' has been rated 5.00 out of 5 by 1 registered forum members and 27 members have commented