Convicted Driver Insurance Quotes

Convicted Driver Insurance Quoteline
Convicted driver insurance quote line owned and operated by MCE Insurance

Follow Drinkdriving.org on:

Follow Drinkdriving.org on Facebook Follow Drinkdriving.org on Google+ Follow Drinkdriving.org on Twitter
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: DVLA Medical - Timescale

daracam is offline Member

Default Re: DVLA Medical - Timescale

Gutted, Well that sounds OK. Sincerely hope things run as smoothly for me ! I would say that you were incredibly lucky to get 'only' 12 months for blowing 104. I blew 91 and got 24 months and 80 hours community service, which by all accounts, given legal guidelines, was entirely fair. Good luck to you though. Like most people on here, I am sincerely sorry for my actions but taking positives from it, I am fitter (thanks to much cycling through necessity) healthier, drink appreciably less than I did, and whilst it is all a hard lesson to learn, it is very much a lesson worth learning.

gutted is offline Established Member

Not luck - forward planning. You've just got to know the right things to say to the magistrate. I didn't even use a solicitor. I got a conditional discharge in lieu of a fine/community service, and the minimum ban.

StuPidIdiot is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by gutted View Post
    I was banned for 12 months from July 4th 2009. I did the DD course and got my license back on 4th April. As I blew 104 I was a HRO. I usually have a bottle of wine of a Friday and Saturday night in addition to occasional benders such as stag do's, birthdays and christmas etc. I stayed off the beer for 2 weeks before the medical which I had a few days before my license was due back. As soon as I had, had the test I rang the DVLA and they said it would take a few weeks to get the results of the test, but that they would send me a cover note which made it legal for me drive from 4th April. That arrived on the 3rd April. A few weeks later my license came through the post.
    Gutted - How long before 4th April did you take the Medical and contact the DVLA to ask for a cover note? I have mine 13 days before my ban end date and need to ensure I'm legal to drive on the first available date.

Thanks

Sillytoo is offline Member

It is a bit of luck though in that who you appear in front of in court. At my first court appearance I used the duty solicitor (I do recommend this as it's free and takes a bit of pressure off you if you're not used to being in this sort of situations!) and appeared in front of three magistrates (mature ladies shall I say...) who wouldn't sentence me! They asked for further reports: one from a probation officer and another from an alcohol worker. So a week later I had appointments with both people scheduled in the morning and the hearing in the afternoon. Armed with 2 character references (one from my employer and one from a charity I'm heavily involved with) I represented myself this time as the duty solicitor was really pleasant and honest enough to advise me how to present the case and not to waste my money on hiring him privately.

This time there was just one female judge and she really rushed through everything, but I had a feeling she was already briefed about my case. You know, you kind of get the feeling... The usher was extremely nice to me too and they swapped the court I was going to appear in at the very last minute. The whole thing took probably 5 minutes max this time and she gave me .... a 2 months curfew, 20 months ban (reduced to 15 after rehab course) and £40 fine. That was it! No community service which I was dreading and which was specifically recommended by the probation officer. He recommended a medium length one as well! Instead I got the curfew and they told me I'd be tagged. Was I ever tagged? No!!! Nobody checked my movements once, nobody ever phoned or knocked at the door and nobody ever contacted me to be tagged. Which is just as well as this was late spring and it wouldn't be exactly easy to disguise, although I usually wear trousers anyway!

I observed the curfew anyway between 7pm and 7am for 2 months which wasn't too much hardship anyhow as I hardly go out on a weekday and get home from work about 6.30-7pm. I just had to make sure it wasn't any later than 7pm. Weekends I was free to do whatever I liked during the day and if we wanted to see people, they came to ours instead of us going out.

I do think it was a bit lucky, which is why I'm not rocking the boat about the DVLA delay now. I'll be just mega pissed off if they refuse the licence.

Stupid Idiot, as long as you have at least BOOKED the test, you can legally drive with a cover note from the DVLA the moment your ban ends. So even if the test was booked fot 13 days AFTER you'd still be able to drive. If your medical is 13 days before your ban is up the odds are you probably won't get your actual license back by the time your ban ends. However you should ring the DVLA the minute you get out of the medical, inform them that you have had it and instruct them to send you a cover note - that way it will arrive before your ban is due to end.

Sillytoo if you are a HRO then it's normal for the magistrate to adjourn for probation reports to be made. I had my meeting with the probation officer a week after my first hearing and then my sentencing the day after that. In fact, as I've posted on here a couple of times it's what you say to the probation officer, rather than the magistrate, that has the biggest effect on your sentence. Magistrates really don't take a blind bit of notice to your mitigation - but the probation officer does ... i.e. if the probation officer recommends a 12 month ban and a conditional discharge it would take a brave magistrate to give you a 24 month ban and a community order.

Gutted - I fully appreciate what you're saying but I thought it was unusual for the magistrate to go against the recommendations of the probation officer and give me, what I considered to be, a much more lenient sentence. 2 months curfew or 180 hrs community work...errr, I'd rather stay at home and watch telly than spend my Saturdays working in a charity shop!

StuPidIdiot is offline Member

Gutted - As you seem pretty well 'in the know' so to speak do you think I could get away with rearranging my medical until after my ban is over even I have booked it for 13 days beforehand and still get a cover note license meaning I could drive to my medical as the DVLA being a lovely bunch have told me to go to surgery in a different county!

Yeah you can do that ... as long as it is booked you can get a cover note.

Convicted Driver Insurance Quotes
    Seeing all your posts about the cover note I got the taste for it and phoned DVLA today to get one! Even though don't have a car to drive, I'm just curious what it looks like! Who knows, it might arrive alongside the licence... It's going to be 4 weeks on Wednesday since my ban had ended... Why can't they issue those cover notes automatically? No, sorry - silly me - that would be too logical I suppose...

The DVLA guy didn't have a clue to be honest. He asked me whether I contacted my GP! I said...eeer, no...you have and why would I need to contact my GP? As far as I know I don't have an alcohol problem and was never treated for anything like that, so can't see why you're asking. Anyway, after putting me on hold a couple of times and reading me some sort of procedure word by word, he eventually said he'd send the cover note immediately...Oh dear!

By the way he also told me that they are NOW dealing with the cases from the 14th of June, so haven't caught up on the backlog by the look of it...They're still 2 months behind. Told him they needed to employ more staff and he laughed. Not funny at all... Well, I'm not amused...

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast