I blew 66

Convicted Driver Insurance

new_pedestrian

Established Member
I was caught over the legal limit at a petrol station about a mile from my house at about 11.30pm on a Friday night. I'm in court tomorrow.

I'm horrified, not at being caught and the ban and fine I'll get tomorrow, but at the idea of what might have happened. An everyday situation that would usually mean braking quite hard could have meant an accident that could have killed somebody. I'd not only be looking at a much harsher punishment in that case, but I'd have to live with it on my conscience for the rest of my life.

Luckily though, all that happened was that a policeman smelled alcohol on my breath as I was leaving the petrol station, where I'd bought some cigarettes. He waited until I got back into the car and then asked me to reverse into a parking space while he had a word. I was breathalysed and then found myself in the back of the police van on my way to the station.

A horrible, horrible experience and one I'll never repeat. I've had trouble sleeping since my arrest, and telling my children about it ranks as one of the worst experiences of my life, right up there with my marriage ending.

I'm trying to put a positive spin on what happens now. A ban might mean that I lose weight with all the extra walking, and with fuel prices being what they are, maybe I should have considered getting the train to work earlier. Still, the fact remains that I'm now a drink driver and that label will be hard to shake off for long after the ban I think.

I'll report back on what sentence I get in the appropriate thread. Just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks as I've got a lot of helpful information from this forum since my arrest.

with you on it being a terrible experience,the worst thing for me is the label too however you would be suprised how many people actually do drink and drive,none of my accquaintances can say they have never driven over the limit,however as they have yet to be caught they do not class themselves as 'drink drivers'..i think the fact that this has disturbed you so much and that you are aware of what might have happened shows that you are not 'a drink driver' but a good person who has made a mistake,as many of us are.best wishes

Thanks for that supportive reply alexandra21. I agree that it's only when caught that anyone would think of themselves as "a drink driver". I too know plenty of people who have done it and just not been caught.

I don't feel in a position to preach to anyone else about it now that I have been caught. After all, I'm going to be a convicted drunk driver tomorrow, why should anyone listen to me, right?

All I could do is tell people my story if I know they're planning to drive after drinking and try to get through to them how absolutely horrifying it all is. I suppose it's a positive outcome if my story stops anyone else from making the same mistake.

I was under the impression that seeing as i had been caught and convicted it would have an impact on my friends decisions about when to drive but it hasnt,i have begged people not to drive when they are drunk,but of course everyone thinks they wont get caught, which truly goes to show that you dont learn until you are caught!

Well the way I see it you've done your best if you've pleaded with people not drive when drunk. If they don't listen at least you know that you've done the right thing. Short of forcibly taking someone's keys, what else can you do?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off