HELP! DRINK DRIVING ACCIDENT

Convicted Driver Insurance

Mini23

Hi I had an accident on Sun morning breath reading of 46
Not claiming on insurance (wont pay out anyway).
Do I still have to inform them of the accident even if im not claiming?
Insurance paperwork says i wont be covered and they will stick to Road Traffic Act obligations and then claim any monies spent back from me??
Unsure if it will look bad on me if i do/dont??
Help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi I had an accident on Sun morning breath reading of 46
Not claiming on insurance (wont pay out anyway).
Do I still have to inform them of the accident even if im not claiming?
Insurance paperwork says i wont be covered and they will stick to Road Traffic Act obligations and then claim any monies spent back from me??
Unsure if it will look bad on me if i do/dont??
Help would be appreciated.

Thanks

A lot of insurance policies have a drink and drugs clause whereby any coverage will be limited to the insurance companies minimum obligations under the Road Traffic Act 1988 (third party liability only) in the event that the insured is convicted of an offence involving drink or drugs. This means, they will and are obligated to pay out for any damages incurred by any third parties that the insured is liable for, regardless of circumstances. The clause usually states that the insurance company reserve the right to recover any sums paid in the event of any such claim. This gives them the right to try and recover the costs of any settlement of such claims through a court of law, off the insured. In practice however, insurance companies rarely pursue the insured for any monies paid out in such cases, it is usually not cost effective.

I would advise you to read the small print and examine your insurance policy before proceeding any further.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off