Breath test of 140 - will it be jail?

Convicted Driver Insurance

binka

Not for me but a friend. He drove home 7 miles after drinking and smashed into a parked car. Otehr car badly damaged as is his. Blew 140 at the police station. First offence.

Not for me but a friend. He drove home 7 miles after drinking and smashed into a parked car. Otehr car badly damaged as is his. Blew 140 at the police station. First offence.

For a breath reading of 140 sentencing guidelines suggest a driving ban of between 29 and 36 months for a first offence and either a high level community order or up to 26 weeks in custody/prison. Magistrates can deviate from these guidelines depending on the aggravating and mitigating circumstances surrounding each specific case. The fact your friend was involved in a road traffic accident will be seen as an aggravating factor and can only go towards increasing any sentence imposed.

Your friend should be offered the drink driving rehabilitation course which can reduce any driving disqualification imposed by up to 25% once completed.

Your friend will also be classed as a high risk offender and will need to take a DVLA medical before their driving licence will be re-instated.

I would avise them to consult with a solicitor ASAP if they have not already done so.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off