18 MONTHS UP AT LAST

Convicted Driver Insurance

Markybhoy

Hi All,
18 months have come and gone since I was arrested for drink driving. It was a Friday night and I knew exactly that I was just going to drive home after having around 10 pints of guinness(I thought I would NEVER get caught) Anyway I was locked up until the Tuesday morning when I appeared in court, I was fined £500 and banned for 18 months.
I am about to have my high risk offender's medical and my GGT count is 65 which has come down from 137 in November 2008. Does this kind of reading pose a risk to me not getting my license back. I still have a few pints on a Friday night and or Sunday afternoon(not for last 4 weeks though)and honestly feel that I have learned a very serious lesson. Sorry if I droned on a bit but if anyone could answer my querie I would be thankfull.

Last edited:
I've read the GGT limit is 50, but then it depends on what your AST and ALT are. I have to go for a medical soon too (to get license back on 2nd April) and I'm a bit worried about it. I'm only a social drinker (few glasses of wine with a meal on a Fridy night) and also I've not had a drink since New Years Eve.

Nonethless I keep coming across stories of people who have failed despite not being a big drinker - usually they argiue that the test is not specific enough and a high reading could be caused by other factors.

How have you managed to have your levels tested? Do you just go to the doctors and ask or do you need to have had a specific complaint?

Hi Gutted,
Thank-you for answering and I hope you do fine in your medical. I have drug controlled diabetes and have been regularly checked at my medical centre and my nurse is very good at explaining my liver results to me. Since I posted I have had another blood test and believe it or not all of my results are up again despite me having no alcohol whatsoever although I have had my meds doubled in dose(Metformin, Roziglitazone, Simvastatin). I think that they will ask my Doctor after I take my medical anyway. It's so frustrating:(

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off