My story of how i ruined Christmas.

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hello there my name is Michael, i am 21 years old and have been driving for 6 months. Christmas Eve i got stupidly drunk at home with my family, and then when they went to sleep, went for a drive to see a friend in the early hours of Christmas Day.

Needless to say, i was caught. Pulled over after speeding through a 30 zone, and breathalized. Blew 83 and was whisked off to the cop shop. Once i got there i had to do my second test, which then i blew 62, and then was sent to the cells.

Worst Christmas ever, now so worried about getting a big fine, how long my driving ban will be, will i have to retake my test when the ban is over, and how im going to go about telling my father :(

Never felt so ashamed in my life.

Does anyone have a rough guess about what i may get? (e.g fines, ban, retake?) I intend on doing the course.

Thanks in advance from one ashamed Christmas Idiot.

Hello there my name is Michael, i am 21 years old and have been driving for 6 months. Christmas Eve i got stupidly drunk at home with my family, and then when they went to sleep, went for a drive to see a friend in the early hours of Christmas Day.

Needless to say, i was caught. Pulled over after speeding through a 30 zone, and breathalized. Blew 83 and was whisked off to the cop shop. Once i got there i had to do my second test, which then i blew 62, and then was sent to the cells.

Worst Christmas ever, now so worried about getting a big fine, how long my driving ban will be, will i have to retake my test when the ban is over, and how im going to go about telling my father :(

Never felt so ashamed in my life.

Does anyone have a rough guess about what i may get? (e.g fines, ban, retake?) I intend on doing the course.

Thanks in advance from one ashamed Christmas Idiot.

Hi Michael,

For a breath reading of 62 sentencing guidelines suggest a driving ban of between 17 and 22 months and a band C fine. The fine amount will depend on your financial circumstances, more information on how fines are calculated can be found here.

It is quite possible you will have to retake your driving test due to you being an inexperienced driver who has not been past his test very long, although this will be at the discretion of the Magistrates.

Last edited:
Hi,

how long was there between your roadside test and the test in the police station?? I only ask because the difference in readings is quite a lot..

Between 30mins-1hr was the difference. To first reply, 62 is the reading they are using in court, what kinda ban would you expect from that? Thanks for your replies, much appreciated :)

Right, thank you very much for your information. I am going to plead guilty, and take the awareness course. Just hoping i dont have to re-sit :( nevermind, spose i deserve whats coming to me. Now i know i will never, ever drink drive again, even a half pint! Not worth even a chance of the hassle and danger it causes.

your not alone !

I was caught 1st December...
banned by xmas...
only license for 9 months..
totally screwed up xmas for me and my family.

makes me angrier when I know some people are O.T.L every morning and never get caught.
One mistake and bingo.. purely by chance I get pulled over.

I truly hope you can try to have a happy year without your car.. I'm struggling to cope without mine for lots of reasons..
its a wake up call BIG TIME eh?

well looks like both of us are facing the driving test again! eeek! ( yes you will have to do theory and test again )
now that's as bad enough in itself ;-)

expect about 17 months.. attend the course if its offered and if you are not ona huge wage about £100-£200 fine and pay the costs to court too.. so between £200 and £300 prob ( you can pay it weekly if you ask )
The course costs about £150 to attend.

x

Last edited:
Think i have got off extremely lucky, 17 month sentence, reduced by a week for each month my sentence is, making it around 13 months i am banned for. £240 fine including legal fees/court costs, and no retake.

I thank my lucky stars i got off this lightly, and in a way im happy this happens, because i now know i will never, ever do this stupid mistake again.

The judge was very polite and formal, and the Duty Solicitor was very helpful and i do not know what i would have done without him.

I wish everyone here good luck with their driving and hope them the best :)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off