My story

Convicted Driver Insurance

DanielleA

In September this year I was working in a bar and finished work and had 2 large glasses of wine. It had been a long shift and I had barely eaten meaning the alcohol hit my system much quicker than it usually would. To top it off I was going through a period of illness (suspected cervical cancer) and was severly anaemic at the time. I didnt feel drunk so decided to drive to get my friend and was pulled over for "hesitating" at traffic lights. I was taken to the police station and breathalysed...the reading was just over the limit. I was not put in a cell, I was kept out with the officers who were adament that this was a precaution and they did not think i would be over the limit once a blood test was taken. Suprise suprise i was over the limit, 90mg in my blood and i received a 9 month ban and a £159 fine.

As a result of this my chosen future career (teaching) is probably not possible due the disclosing my conviction for my teacher training courses and then to future employers. My job meant that i commuted to schools to teach in after school clubs, this now meant that for 1 club i would be travelling 3-4 hours on the train to get there and back. I commute to university also (an hours drive) and this has meant relying on public transport which has caused me to miss classes due to cancellations, delays etc.

I was not interviewed at the police station, i did mention my illness and that i was very suprised to be over and the officers commented how they did not think i was drunk in the slightest.

I was inexperienced at court and the duty solicitor spoke very kindly on my behalf which meant i got a small ban and fine. However, the experience to say the least has ruined my life. I probably will not be a teacher because of this and I am now so scared to drink because of the repurcussions that i have not touched a drop since the incident. I have been researching car insurance for convicted drivers and i simply cannot afford the insurance which means my job commuting to schools will have to stop.

It is nice to see this forum as it is good know there are others in the same situation as me. I am 24 years old and I cant sleep, not eating properly because of what has happened. My life so far has centered around teaching and now all of a sudden I am going to have to change because of one stupid mistake.

My advice to others is to not set foot near a car if you have even had 1 drink. Drink affects different people in different ways!

I don't think it'll stop you being a teacher.

I have a good friend who is a teacher and during his training, drove into somebody's front garden and into the bay window. He ran away but was caught by the police. He was given a 3 yr ban and community service. He's now been working as a teacher for 5 yrs and is head of dept. People make mistakes. You don't need a driving license to teach so it shouldn't really be an issue (won't affect your ability to do your job). Also, having done the course you are probably less likely to make a similar mistake in the future (before I did the course I must have unknowingly drunk drove to church every Sun morning for about 10 yrs!!!)

In September this year I was working in a bar and finished work and had 2 large glasses of wine. It had been a long shift and I had barely eaten meaning the alcohol hit my system much quicker than it usually would. To top it off I was going through a period of illness (suspected cervical cancer) and was severly anaemic at the time. I didnt feel drunk so decided to drive to get my friend and was pulled over for "hesitating" at traffic lights. I was taken to the police station and breathalysed...the reading was just over the limit. I was not put in a cell, I was kept out with the officers who were adament that this was a precaution and they did not think i would be over the limit once a blood test was taken. Suprise suprise i was over the limit, 90mg in my blood and i received a 9 month ban and a £159 fine.

As a result of this my chosen future career (teaching) is probably not possible due the disclosing my conviction for my teacher training courses and then to future employers. My job meant that i commuted to schools to teach in after school clubs, this now meant that for 1 club i would be travelling 3-4 hours on the train to get there and back. I commute to university also (an hours drive) and this has meant relying on public transport which has caused me to miss classes due to cancellations, delays etc.

I was not interviewed at the police station, i did mention my illness and that i was very suprised to be over and the officers commented how they did not think i was drunk in the slightest.

I was inexperienced at court and the duty solicitor spoke very kindly on my behalf which meant i got a small ban and fine. However, the experience to say the least has ruined my life. I probably will not be a teacher because of this and I am now so scared to drink because of the repurcussions that i have not touched a drop since the incident. I have been researching car insurance for convicted drivers and i simply cannot afford the insurance which means my job commuting to schools will have to stop.

It is nice to see this forum as it is good know there are others in the same situation as me. I am 24 years old and I cant sleep, not eating properly because of what has happened. My life so far has centered around teaching and now all of a sudden I am going to have to change because of one stupid mistake.

My advice to others is to not set foot near a car if you have even had 1 drink. Drink affects different people in different ways!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off