Convicted Driver Insurance Quotes

Convicted Driver Insurance Quoteline
Convicted driver insurance quote line owned and operated by MCE Insurance

Follow Drinkdriving.org on:

Follow Drinkdriving.org on Facebook Follow Drinkdriving.org on Google+ Follow Drinkdriving.org on Twitter
Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Getting a USA visa (travelling to america with a drink driving conviction)

price1367 is offline TTC Group Associate Director

Default Re: Getting a USA visa (travelling to america with a drink driving conviction)

On the face of it, There is no difference between taking a digital photo and going to a booth to get a set of 4 visa pictures done and scanning one.. you have to make sure you do the 4 set, not the 5 for passport. The USA website talks about uploading a passport type photo but that is misleading. The passport one is rectangular and smaller that the 2 inch square that is required for their application.

i have tried before to take a digital picture myself and use that. I am a pretty good photographer but ended up pulling my hair out trying to make the phone fit their box online. It isnít just the size, there are specifications about the height between the eyes and the top of the picture, the mm between the eyes and the chin etc. The site kept saying that it was wrong and I had to alter it. In the end, I had a distorted grainy picture that I was ashamed of, and it was accepted!
    I would suggest therefore that you go to a booth and spend £6 on a set of 4 VISA pictures, scan one - that is where the 300 dpi comes in, that is the setting you use on the scanner. The default is probably 600 dpi. Check the file size fits the maximum requirements and upload it.
    if you do not have a scanner then perhaps you can visit a shop that takes pictures and ask then to supply it to you on a memory stick if you take one with you. Tell them that it is for a visa application and the size parameters of the file. This is likely to cost you double the price of the booth.

dino101 is offline Member

Default Re: Getting a USA visa (travelling to america with a drink driving conviction)

Quote Originally Posted by price1367 View Post
    On the face of it, There is no difference between taking a digital photo and going to a booth to get a set of 4 visa pictures done and scanning one.. you have to make sure you do the 4 set, not the 5 for passport. The USA website talks about uploading a passport type photo but that is misleading. The passport one is rectangular and smaller that the 2 inch square that is required for their application.

i have tried before to take a digital picture myself and use that. I am a pretty good photographer but ended up pulling my hair out trying to make the phone fit their box online. It isnít just the size, there are specifications about the height between the eyes and the top of the picture, the mm between the eyes and the chin etc. The site kept saying that it was wrong and I had to alter it. In the end, I had a distorted grainy picture that I was ashamed of, and it was accepted!
    I would suggest therefore that you go to a booth and spend £6 on a set of 4 VISA pictures, scan one - that is where the 300 dpi comes in, that is the setting you use on the scanner. The default is probably 600 dpi. Check the file size fits the maximum requirements and upload it.
    if you do not have a scanner then perhaps you can visit a shop that takes pictures and ask then to supply it to you on a memory stick if you take one with you. Tell them that it is for a visa application and the size parameters of the file. This is likely to cost you double the price of the booth.
    Thanks, John, you made me chuckle re the distorted grainy picture! Mine aren't usually the best visualisation of myself, currently I look like Casper the Ghost!

So, just to clarify, I scan one of the 2inchx2inch (Visa photograph) using the 300dpi setting and then just upload onto the form? What about the bit where it mentions about being 600pixels by 600pixel bit? I thought once scanned, I would need to play around with the photo reflecting that 600x600 pixels. It is ever so confused......Do you not read the same as I am interpreting it?

You can use software like photoshop elements or the free ĎGimpí to size the picture to ď600 pixels square if the scan didnít go right. If you scan a 2 inch picture at 300 dpi, it should be 600 pixels. Pixels and dpi are the same really.

dino101 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by price1367 View Post
    You can use software like photoshop elements or the free ĎGimpí to size the picture to ď600 pixels square if the scan didnít go right. If you scan a 2 inch picture at 300 dpi, it should be 600 pixels. Pixels and dpi are the same really.
    Hi John,

Last night, I went to my scanner settings and noticed that the resolution was in PPI and not DPI (assuming both are the same thing)? Anyway, I changed the default settings from 200 to 300PPI and then scanned the image and uploaded it onto my computer. When I checked the photograph's properties, the dimension was 592x574 PX. I am very confused, should it not be 600x600 pixels when you scan a 2inch by 2inch photo at a resolution of 300 ?

I then did what you said about editing it in GIMP, so after changing both the X and Y to 600 pixels at a resolution of 300, the file size is too big for the US embassy's requirements. It is 328kb. I am really stuck and also feel like an idiot for not be able to do this task.

Please help me
    Last edited by dino101; 04-26-2018 at 02:21 PM.

I have sent you a PM with a solution.

Jelly is offline New Member

Good morning all,

Ive read through this whole thread, wow, what a roller coaster of a ride!

I was after some assistance as I have a question that I cant see that has been asked before.

I have a DR10 that dates back to 2008, other than that no other records. I am hoping to visit New York this September/October for my honeymoon. From a lot of comments here and from reading the U.S. Customs and Border Protection page it looks like I can just complete the ESTA.

What makes my situation slightly different is that I went through the whole Visa process with the Embassy in London, including health check etc in 2009 when I went to the U.S. for a holiday.

My question is, will the fact that I have been through the Visa process previously hinder me at the border checks at the airport? I have a new passport, so dont have any physical sign of a Visa in there.

Sub question:

On the Customs and Border Control page it states that: A single DUI convictionis notgrounds to deny entry into the U.S. However, multiple DUI convictions or a DUI conviction in combination with other misdemeanor offenses can make a person inadmissible and require a waiver prior to entering the United States.

I cant find where is states unless there has been bodily injury or damage to property. Although the only damage from my conviction was to my own property, where would they be able to check this information?

many thanks guys

Customs and Border Protection

Customs and Border Protection

These are the questions that are asked on the ESTA application form:

Have you ever been arrested or convicted for a crime that resulted in serious damage to property, or serious harm to another person or government authority?
    Yes No

3) Have you ever violated any law related to possessing, using, or distributing illegal drugs?

It appears that you can answer NO to those questions. (Damaging your own property does not count) therefore you can apply for entry to the USA under the visa waive scheme. The fact that previously you applied for, and were granted a visa, should not make any difference to your eligibility for the ESTA scheme.

Jelly is offline New Member

Thanks for the info Price, greatly appreciated

Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344