Medicheck blood draw query?

Convicted Driver Insurance

stubear

How did anyone who has did the medichecks CDT test get blood drawn?

I didn't realise a full tube of blood was needed.

Thought it was perhaps just a finger prick test.

I tried to draw my own but wasnt very successful, brusied arms! - so i've ordered another kit.

I'll ask a more qualified friend to do it, or perhaps the practice nurse at my doctors would do it for me??

Many thanks

How did anyone who has did the medichecks CDT test get blood drawn?

I didn't realise a full tube of blood was needed.

Thought it was perhaps just a finger prick test.

I tried to draw my own but wasnt very successful, brusied arms! - so i've ordered another kit.

I'll ask a more qualified friend to do it, or perhaps the practice nurse at my doctors would do it for me??

Many thanks
Its very unlikely your local medical will help! It's not there equipment or service but!
Never been pricked I've heard Medi checks also offer a blood withdraw service# price above the normal check #please don't quote me but I recall about 50-60pnds phone Medi check find out cheaper than fail"s

Last edited:
Got a replacement kit.

And got one of my nursing colleagues to draw the blood from me. (Mental health not general!)

Sample took Sunday night, and sent off Monday 20th August.

Results from medi checks emailed on Thursday 23rd evening.

CHO deficient Transferrin 0.7 % < 1.6
CDT Interpretation :
-
<1.6% - No excess alcohol intake
1.6 - 1.9% - Intake may be high but not
necessarily in the range of dependence
>2.0% - Excess alcohol intake
-
Result from Referral Laboratory ID [941].

This result was after 21 days abstinence.

DVLA medical booked for Tuesday 28th Aug.

Would have changed this date had the medichecks result been borderline to allow more time. But allowing for any variances, I'm quite satisfied with the 0.7% result.

And can attend the medical now with some peace of mind.

Medichecks used to just say that you send off a blood sample to them, and in their blurb they said “most of our samples just require a fingerprick”. I now see that they highlight against the CDT test page that “veinous blood sample required.” In which case perhaps they should also indicate the cost from them to take it, to give a proper indication of what a person really has to pay. Not so many people are as lucky as Craig121 with a friend capable of taking a sample from a vein.

Medichecks used to just say that you send off a blood sample to them, and in their blurb they said “most of our samples just require a fingerprick”. I now see that they highlight against the CDT test page that “veinous blood sample required.” In which case perhaps they should also indicate the cost from them to take it, to give a proper indication of what a person really has to pay. Not so many people are as lucky as Craig121 with a friend capable of taking a sample from a vein.

When it gets to the checkout point, it gives options on how the blood is drawn and pricing options.

Had medical this morning.

Started with signing 2 bits of paperwork.

1. Authorisation for my blood to be tested by Viapath
2. The DVLA paperwork/questionaire.

The DR took my payment of £98.50 and checked my
Photographic ID.

He then asked me questions relating to my health and drinking and completed the questionaire (I thought I may have filled that in, but he did) and also the scoring martix thing with questions, my overall score was 3, one point each for the first 3 questions, the rest were zeros.

He asked my height and took my weight.

Took my blood pressure.

Checked my chest/breathing.

Had a feel at my stomach.

No urine check was asked for/ needed.

Then he took the blood from my arm.

The sample was then placed in the packet to be sent to the lab. I'm actually not sure if he maybe put the DVLA paoerwork in with the blood sample, but I could be mistaken. It was maybe just the sample paperwork and the DVLA stuff will go seperate.

And that was that - the paperwork and sample will now be sent off.

I was in for under 10 minutes, I reckon.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off