failed HRO medical - not given why or test results - is this letter normal???

Convicted Driver Insurance

n0thappy

Question: is it normal to not get the results of your blood test??

Here is my letter in it's entirety from DVLA received today

"Dear Mr ...

Thank you for attending your medical examination with DR .... We have now received the results.

To allow us to progress your application we have written to your GP for further information. We usually expect a reply with four weeks.

When we receive their reply our medical advisor will then consider your fitness to drive. This may take some time but as soon as a decision has been made we will let you know.

Yours ..."

Without sounding righteous you already aware you were HRO! Nobody has a given right for a full licence let alone an HRO# there are lots of disabilities that require doctors to intervene and you are no exception!
So calm down the DVLA are not the devil they are protecting civilians from high risk people and that did include me#
Now that you swallowed that part they are asking further information either you answered a question regarding your drinking habits or the blood sample was higher than expected# if your not alcoholic then the mandatory no alcohol for 4/6/8 weeks should of been a breeze!

Without sounding righteous you already aware you were HRO! Nobody has a given right for a full licence let alone an HRO# there are lots of disabilities that require doctors to intervene and you are no exception!
So calm down the DVLA are not the devil they are protecting civilians from high risk people and that did include me#
Now that you swallowed that part they are asking further information either you answered a question regarding your drinking habits or the blood sample was higher than expected# if your not alcoholic then the mandatory no alcohol for 4/6/8 weeks should of been a breeze!

Well you failed you do sound righteous.

My question was "is it normal to not get the results of your blood test?? which you did not answer.
I have not seen this "mandatory no alcohol for 4/6/8 weeks" statement you quote anywhere on here. And it's certainly not mandatory.
Please refrain from replying again, you clearly having nothing of value to add here.

My point is that I was under the impression from reading the threads on this website that they would share the blood test results with me.

Can anyone else with actual experience of this scenario shed any light please?

thanks

Last edited:
Please refrain from replying again, you clearly having nothing of value to add here

If you are going to reply with that attitude I suggest NO ONE bothers replying to you! Go pay for a solicitor, you will get all the sympathy, tea and biscuits you need

If you are going to reply with that attitude I suggest NO ONE bothers replying to you! Go pay for a solicitor, you will get all the sympathy, tea and biscuits you need

There was no attitude there, just stating the facts that person could not answer the question therefore there was no point in giving me their opinion, I asked a specific question and really don't expect replies from people that have not shared this experience.
here's another fact - yet another forum clogger-upper - thanks for your input.

I'm actually looking for help not people's strong uninformed opinions

If anyone can really help it really would be much appreciated :)

Last edited:
There was no attitude there, just stating the facts that person could not answer the question therefore there was no point in giving me their opinion, I asked a specific question and really don't expect replies from people that have not shared this experience.
here's another fact - yet another forum clogger-upper - thanks for your input.

I'm actually looking for help not people's strong uninformed opinions

If anyone can really help it really would be much appreciated :)

Good luck Suing the DVLA because your not a happy HRO!
I answered your question starting from asking for information it's perfectly normal regarding HRO whom have either answered incorrectly or blood samples indifferent

Last edited:
Question: is it normal to not get the results of your blood test??

Here is my letter in it's entirety from DVLA received today

"Dear Mr ...

Thank you for attending your medical examination with DR .... We have now received the results.

To allow us to progress your application we have written to your GP for further information. We usually expect a reply with four weeks.

When we receive their reply our medical advisor will then consider your fitness to drive. This may take some time but as soon as a decision has been made we will let you know.

Yours ..."

Yes it is normal not to receive your cdt test results, the DVLA don't inform you automatically what your cdt test result was. You have to request the result from them.

You have also not failed the medical. They are simply requesting further information from your doctor in order to help them come to a decision about your fitness to drive.

If your cdt test result was a fail they wouldnt bother contacting your doctor at all, they would simply refuse to issue you a licence. So you still have a chance to pass the medical.

Please keep all threads and posts on topic.

Re: Hro medical (your experiences)

UPDATE: got my result - 1.7% - still no clearer why they asked for further info as this is a pass

Last edited by a moderator:

At least you haven't failed.

This post has been moved into this section as the other section you posted in is for complete timelines of the whole medical process from start to finish.

Final update

Got my licence back, but only after my doctor had filled in questionaire that basically outlined that he'd never seen me for alcohol related illness - and I took another different blood test, which they didnt ask for but doctor thought it would strengthen my case. that test also came back within tollerances.

Still in the dark why they would want further proof given the CDT test is supposed to go back at least 6 months, if they dont trust it then why go to the trouble of making people pay £95 to meet a complete stranger with no case history.

This is a decent site, aside from a few idiots with uninformed strong opinions

Like a true gent Nohappy thank you for the private message! Your attitude showed from your first posts Hewl was right
Here's a copy for all

You dude are a compete retarded bellend and shouldn't be allowed to even ****ing comment on this site. ****ing strong uninformed opinion pusher - get a personality ya **** !!

I got my licence back yehaaa

Go suck a ####
Delete the whole thread might be best

Craig121, if that is what you received as a private message then you should report it as “inappropriate” to the site. It is unacceptable on a forum where people come for support.

Like a true gent Nohappy thank you for the private message! Your attitude showed from your first posts Hewl was right
Here's a copy for all

You dude are a compete retarded bellend and shouldn't be allowed to even ****ing comment on this site. ****ing strong uninformed opinion pusher - get a personality ya **** !!

I got my licence back yehaaa

Go suck a ####
Delete the whole thread might be best

go suck a dick ****wit ???

Craig121, if that is what you received as a private message then you should report it as “inappropriate” to the site. It is unacceptable on a forum where people come for support.

that person is a complete cock :)

So you come on here for advice, and then proceed to insult people giving advice.
i think your time on here will be very limited..........

i can only quote quote from a post that you put earlier:

“This is a decent site, aside from a few idiots with uninformed strong opinions”

Couldn’t have put it better myself!

Last edited:

Final update

Got my licence back, but only after my doctor had filled in questionaire that basically outlined that he'd never seen me for alcohol related illness - and I took another different blood test, which they didnt ask for but doctor thought it would strengthen my case. that test also came back within tollerances.

Still in the dark why they would want further proof given the CDT test is supposed to go back at least 6 months, if they dont trust it then why go to the trouble of making people pay £95 to meet a complete stranger with no case history.

This is a decent site, aside from a few idiots with uninformed strong opinions
The GP will include, or refer to, your summary care record with them which will have full notes about any recent appointments, then a one line summary of an significant medical conditions for your entire life. This is the information doctors and nurses access if you rock up in A&E and they want to know more about you.

This can work in your favour, if you had alcohol issues a decade ago but nothing recently it can be evidence you have issues under control.

I believe at one stage there was talk about allowing the DVLA to access this information directly with explicit consent to speed up decisions and reduce costs - they pay your GP to fill out the questionnaire. Eventually it was dropped and only NHS staff with a smart card can access the information.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off