Want to get a HGV licence to start a new career

Convicted Driver Insurance

Tonies

Hi All,

Hope you are all well.

I was banned for drink driving for 24 months, 2 and half years ago. I did a course and was reduced to 18 months. Was fined and do community service plus had to wear a tag.

Was convicted I think for DR30 and DR10. Refusing to supply a specimen and attempting to drive.

I have already my licence back and now thinking of starting a new career as a HGV driver.

I already have my Door supervisor renewed 2 months ago from the SIA with no problems.

Is it worth spending the money on it or is it a lost hope and will be refused and lose my money of trying to get it as it involves a financial and time investment which am worried about.

Anyone in the same position or has been? Did you get a HGV licence and what was your ban and how long ago and for?

Did you have issues getting a job if you did get a HGV or bus driving licence?

Any advise very much appreciated.

Thanks ever so much in advance.

You would be as well to ask round locally about your chances of employment with local firms with such a conviction before spending a lot of money on a course. The course provider will tell you that it will not be a problem.... well it isn’t a problem for doing the course, but it may well be a problem finding employment.
If you qualify and try to get a job through an agency then you are likely to find that your drink drive conviction will be a big obstacle. Many of them provide drivers for companies who insist on a full clean licence, and because you are signed up with an agency they input your details with DVLA including your national insurance number which makes it look like it is you making the enquiry. This means that your conviction shows up for 11 years rather than the 5 years that has to pass for it to officially be a spent conviction under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.

You would be as well to ask round locally about your chances of employment with local firms with such a conviction before spending a lot of money on a course. The course provider will tell you that it will not be a problem.... well it isn’t a problem for doing the course, but it may well be a problem finding employment.
If you qualify and try to get a job through an agency then you are likely to find that your drink drive conviction will be a big obstacle. Many of them provide drivers for companies who insist on a full clean licence, and because you are signed up with an agency they input your details with DVLA including your national insurance number which makes it look like it is you making the enquiry. This means that your conviction shows up for 11 years rather than the 5 years that has to pass for it to officially be a spent conviction under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.

With no previous driving experience might be difficult convincing employers along with your Dui# for first run employment! That being said there is a local company (drainage/environmental would take anyone and pay good wages !
It will be difficult but set your goals high without the disappointment.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off