DVLA medical next week help?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Soso

hello,

this week i had to make an appointment with a gp for the dvla medical, my appointment is booked in for next week which is only leaving me 4 days to stay of the drink, i had about 15 units yesterday and before that was 5 days ago, im a fit and healthy 29 year old man but i do like to have a drink, on average id say ive drunk around 50units of alcohol a week for the past few years, how do you think ill do in the blood test bearing in mind ive only got 4days to stay off?

im a regular gym user nd eat fairly healthy taking vitamins daily,

any advice on this would be greatly appreciated as im really worried now for this.

thanks.

50 units per week is the threshold for what is deemed to be "significant harm."
You should look to be only drinking 21-28 units per week max, for 5 or 6 weeks before your medical for your CDT blood results to be within an acceptable range.

50 units per week is the threshold for what is deemed to be "significant harm."
You should look to be only drinking 21-28 units per week max, for 5 or 6 weeks before your medical for your CDT blood results to be within an acceptable range.

yes i know what the guide lines are but no offence mate there ****ing ridicules every one i know and probably more then half of the uk population will drink twice that a week easy, i really cant see how having a drink even 2 days before the test should make a difference, unless your a total alcoholic and have abused drink for years, i mean everyone is allowed to drink, you have a rite, what goes on in the comfort of your own home has got nothing to do with anyone else, fair enough ban someone for drink driving but to keep them banned for the rest of there life just because they like to have 2 bottles of wine a week is bull, since originally posting my question i have spoke with 3 people that have taken the test and past , all of which are big drinkers, one guy that has drank 6-8 cans a night for the past 20 years and only took a week off only drinking 1 can a night past with flying colors, another who drinks the same amount for the same amount of time only stopped 2 days before the test and still past no bother, just makes me think what this test is all about like??

2 bottles of wine a week is only 18 units, so well within the guidelines.
having a drink on the day of the test will not affect the outcome, but 50 units a week up to when you do the medical is very likely to result in a fail. You will have to make your own choices.
Just because your circle of acquaintances drink 50+ units every week certainly does Not mean that over half the population do it.
Good luck with the medical

I can't help but agree with some points SOSO is making. I don't understand the whole purpose of this medical procedure. Although it's no problem for me to give up for 6-8 weeks or more. So, we've already been punished, paid fines, lengthy bans etc, etc. What is the point of this last humiliation? What does it prove anyway? what stops people to give up for 6 weeks and then get blind drunk every day after the medical?
Unless of cause they are trying to spot some chronically addicted alcoholics? But using this logic they should then check every single driver at least once a year. I am sorry but I fail to see what it proves actually if you drank 6 weeks ago or not, and how will it ensure that you will not drink after you passed this blooming test?

I can't help but agree with some points SOSO is making. I don't understand the whole purpose of this medical procedure. Although it's no problem for me to give up for 6-8 weeks or more. So, we've already been punished, paid fines, lengthy bans etc, etc. What is the point of this last humiliation? What does it prove anyway? what stops people to give up for 6 weeks and then get blind drunk every day after the medical?
Unless of cause they are trying to spot some chronically addicted alcoholics? But using this logic they should then check every single driver at least once a year. I am sorry but I fail to see what it proves actually if you drank 6 weeks ago or not, and how will it ensure that you will not drink after you passed this blooming test?
My alcohol intake was something like 30 units a day at it's worst (this was after my ban and obviously dependent), however I managed to stop completely after several relapses 2 years ago. I was given a 1 year licence last November (which was fair enough), but I have had to complete the same questionnaire as usual for my re-application recently, which meant I had to put down the issues from the last 3 years. My point is, I will probably just get another 1 year licence, but the fact is I am no more likely to relapse this year than in 10 years time, which is the nature of the problem (although I know I can't drink again).
In that sense the medical serves no real purpose. How many posts do we see from people asking how long they need to keep off alcohol before the medical? I would image that most repeat drink drive offenders are not alcoholics, they just always drive to the pub or whatever, there will be people who would not pass the CDT criteria who drink a lot most of the time, but not if they are driving somewhere.

Peter

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off