Blew 43 and 41

Convicted Driver Insurance

ct1979

Between 3pm and 2 am I had about 5-6 pints of beer and a pint of cider.

At around 4 am I thought I was ok to drive so I headed home.

Got stopped for speeding and failed the road side breathalyser.

In the station, at 4:34 am, I blew 43 and 41 and had to give a urine sample as a result. After the initial "flush" sample I drank about a litre of water and gave my final sample at around 5:10-5:30 am.

Is there any reliable way to guess what my urine sample will return?

Feeling pretty stupid and disgusted with my self atm, when you think you're getting away with it you don't really consider how stupid you're being, it's when you get called out you realise how badly you're risking your own and everyone else's lives.

Between 3pm and 2 am I had about 5-6 pints of beer and a pint of cider.

At around 4 am I thought I was ok to drive so I headed home.

Got stopped for speeding and failed the road side breathalyser.

In the station, at 4:34 am, I blew 43 and 41 and had to give a urine sample as a result. After the initial "flush" sample I drank about a litre of water and gave my final sample at around 5:10-5:30 am.

Is there any reliable way to guess what my urine sample will return?

Feeling pretty stupid and disgusted with my self atm, when you think you're getting away with it you don't really consider how stupid you're being, it's when you get called out you realise how badly you're risking your own and everyone else's lives.

I am definitely veering to you being under however, it is impossible for anyone to say with any degree of certainty either way so im afraid it is a the waiting game. The general advice is hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Did you get your own sample? Are you aware that you can get your sample independently tested? With the results being a lot quicker than the Police which can often take several weeks. Although there may be a slight differential it will certainly give you an indication of what to expect.

This PDF link is a list of independent testers http://www.rsc.org/images/road-traffic-analysts_tcm18-26336.pdf cost varies but should be circa £100ish. For peace of mind it could be money well spent.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes I got a sample which I'll get tested this week. They gave me that booklet you linked, but thanks for taking the time to provide it.

The PC was as nice as he could realistically be in the situation. He said he thought I was coming down and that my result would be under and that I should take this as a lesson to not be so stupid. But he did warn that his partner had seen urine samples come back much higher than the breathalyser and there is no certainty.

Between this, the empty calories and acting like an idiot around women I think it's time to take a break from drinking.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes I got a sample which I'll get tested this week. They gave me that booklet you linked, but thanks for taking the time to provide it.

The PC was as nice as he could realistically be in the situation. He said he thought I was coming down and that my result would be under and that I should take this as a lesson to not be so stupid. But he did warn that his partner had seen urine samples come back much higher than the breathalyser and there is no certainty.

Between this, the empty calories and acting like an idiot around women I think it's time to take a break from drinking.

You are very welcome.

I would be surprised if your sample came back over so this could be a positive all round if it has made you aware of the consequences of drink driving, (just have a read of this forum) something I am sure you wont risk again and also leads to an evaluation of your drinking so dont be too hard on yourself. It's easy to think you are under the limit so you didnt knowingly driven whilst over. Although this is no defence it does show morally there was no intention if you get my drift.

Please come back and let us know the results of your independent test.

Just got the results from my sample I sent off.

The Alcohol in Urine came back as 100 mg/100ml giving an equivalent of 75 mg/100ml in blood. Which was a relief, my heart was racing as I opened the letter.

My only concern now is how close the results will be between my sample and the sample the police have.

Thought I'd let you know as you had been so helpful.

Just got the results from my sample I sent off.

The Alcohol in Urine came back as 100 mg/100ml giving an equivalent of 75 mg/100ml in blood. Which was a relief, my heart was racing as I opened the letter.

My only concern now is how close the results will be between my sample and the sample the police have.

Thought I'd let you know as you had been so helpful.

Hi ct179,

Thats great news! Thanks for letting us know.

The results from your evidential specimen should be very close and will also have 6% or 6mg deducted to its a virtual certainty you are in the clear. I am assuming your independent results did not include this reduction.

From this page http://www.drinkdriving.org/police_blood_urine_specimens.php and I quote:

Police Forensic Laboratory Blood/Urine Analysis

Although the maximum legal prescribed limit is 80mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood, in practice those drivers whose blood alcohol level falls below 86mg per 100ml of blood are usually not prosecuted. This is because the police forensic blood specimen analysis procedure produces a series of results using gas chromatography. These results must fall within 3 standard deviations (or 6%) of each other, they are then averaged before 6% or 6mg (whichever the greater) is deducted from the final result. The same reduction is used for urine specimens.

A persons blood or urine alcohol specimen results are then reported back to the police as containing not less than xxmg of alcohol per 100ml of blood/urine.

I think you can relax now :)

Hi again ukboxer.

I'm not sure if the 6%/6mg was deducted in my samples calculation, what should I look for to check this?

The officer originally said if the evidential sample came back under they might call and cancel my bail appointment.

They haven't done this yet so I'm still sweating about it. Past few days have been a bit low in that respect. I find out for sure this Friday though, so I can only move forward from the result then.

Thanks again.

normally, when you pay for analysis, the lab gives the actual figure, rather than the one with 6 deducted.
What does the reading say? If it says 100mg /100ml urine then that is the actual reading. If it says 'not less than 100mg / 100ml urine then they have deducted the 6 already. Either way, with the legal limit being 107, you should be OK.

normally, when you pay for analysis, the lab gives the actual figure, rather than the one with 6 deducted.
What does the reading say? If it says 100mg /100ml urine then that is the actual reading. If it says 'not less than 100mg / 100ml urine then they have deducted the 6 already. Either way, with the legal limit being 107, you should be OK.

Hi ct1979,

Sorry I missed your post but Price1367 is spot on. Also I wouldnt worry that you havent had a phone call, they dont always do that.

Good luck for tomorrow, let us know how you get on.

Thanks.

It just says "TOX16 Alocohol in Urine 100 mg/100ml" so it must be the actual result.

Hi ct1979,

Sorry I missed your post but Price1367 is spot on. Also I wouldnt worry that you havent had a phone call, they dont always do that.

Good luck for tomorrow, let us know how you get on.

Will do. Thanks for taking the time.

I was waiting outside the station when the officer who had stopped me pulled up. He said he had tried to call me to cancel the appointment, i just hadn't answered (whoops i tend to ignore private numbers). Apparently the evidential sample came back as 97mg/100ml in urine.

Was quite a relief. Thanks again ukboxer and price for taking the time to respond and all the best to everyone whatever your situation.

I was waiting outside the station when the officer who had stopped me pulled up. He said he had tried to call me to cancel the appointment, i just hadn't answered (whoops i tend to ignore private numbers). Apparently the evidential sample came back as 97mg/100ml in urine.

Was quite a relief. Thanks again ukboxer and price for taking the time to respond and all the best to everyone whatever your situation.

Thats great news and a big relief! Pleased to hear its over for you mate.

Zero alcohol is the only way to be sure :)

CT1979
pleased for you, I will have a Glenfiddich tonight and toast you...... After I have finished driving of course!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off