Quick question

Convicted Driver Insurance

Adam.

I was done for drink driving and got a 9 month ban im wondering how long will this criminal offence be on record for?

I was done for drink driving and got a 9 month ban im wondering how long will this criminal offence be on record for?

Hi Adam,

Driving Licence Endorsement

A conviction of driving with excess alcohol will be endorsed on your driving licence for a period of 11 years.

Criminal Conviction

After a certain period of time, a criminal conviction for drink driving will become 'spent' under The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. Once 'spent', you do not usually have to declare the conviction, and can answer 'no' when asked if you have any criminal convictions, although certain exceptions apply. The rehabilitation period will depend on the exact sentence you received. More information and rehabilitation periods can be found here.

Last edited:
How will I know when it will become 'spent'? and do you know how long it will be untill I can say no if asked if i have any conviction

How will I know when it will become 'spent'? and do you know how long it will be untill I can say no if asked if i have any conviction

Your conviction will become 'spent' after a certain period of time (the rehabiliation period) depending upon the exact sentence you receive. For a fine, probation or community service this is 5 years. For a driving ban, the rehabilitation period is the length of the ban. However, if you receive a driving ban and a fine then the longer rehabilitation period applies which would be 5 years.

For a list of rehabilitation periods, when a conviction is classed as 'spent' and information about declaring your criminal convictions please see here.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off