DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Where are these posts explaining letter reference codes and higher risks?? I've not seen them, mine is HR03 is that bad? Does it mean they do more checks?

The posts are somewhere in this thread I think... HR03 is possibly quite bad... My letter was also marked HR03 and I got my licence back 10 weeks late i.e. 10 weeks after my ban ended...:) They have written to my doctor and then sat on the results since 20th of July, having marked my case as urgent on the 26th of July! The licence was finally re-issued on the 28th of September and arrived on the 30th. :D

I'm picking up my brand new car tomorrow and have just shelled out £1.6K :eek: to insure it as I lost my NCD and had an accident that was my fault...gggrrrrrr :rolleyes: Oh, btw - tried the links recommended here but they were more expensive than the quotes I already had. Their best quote was over £2.4K and Academy which Mr Waiting recommended said that their quote came in at over £2.8K! I insured with Admiral which popped up as the cheapest through comparethemarket.com. Simples! ;)

Received my driving licence in the post this morning :D:D

Looks like it all went through without a glitch!! Ive made a seperate post with details on the exact dates of the application medical etc in the hope the info is of some use to others.

Good luck to everyone else in a similar situation.

I'm more confused than ever now about these references. My original letter stated HR03, this morning I have recieved my letter to book medical and it's marked HR05 :eek: it seems I have been promoted!! I have to take the medical within 6 weeks of this letter. Was hoping to be on the road for xmas, ban ends 11th Dec, but judging by this thread I'll be lucky to be driving by summer :( I am now worrying about the medical, am convinced something's going to go wrong, this is a really stressful experience isnt it?

Oh and congrats to the new licence holders :D

Received my driving licence in the post this morning

Looks like it all went through without a glitch!! Ive made a seperate post with details on the exact dates of the application medical etc in the hope the info is of some use to others.

Good luck to everyone else in a similar situation.

Well done and I'm please it didn't take half as long as it did with mine! Happy motoring then! :):):)

Have to say my new vroom vroom drives beautifully and I couldn't believe how naturally it felt almost 18 months since I'd last sat behind the wheel. :p Will never do it again and just wanted to say that this thread in particular has been very helpful to me.

Many thanks to all of you who listened patiently to my frustrated rants and good luck to the few who are still waiting for their licence to be returned! It WILL happen, although sometimes you just don't believe it! It just seems to be a lottery! It also seems that if your ban ends during summer months you're stuffed. Those of us who had their bans finishing in July/August seem to have waited longer...:rolleyes:

Oh dear Mr Waiting, I'd be spitting feathers by now. I phoned to arrange my medical this morning, only to be told they wont even make me an appointment until they have recieved and cleared a cheque for £112.80 :eek: I was under the impression from here you paid on the day but apparently not. Am getting fed up with it already, they seem to be very quick to take money but work at a snail pace for anything else. :rolleyes:

Pippet - I was told to bring cash and the right money if possible! (no credit cards) and yes - I have paid on the day ....

Mr Waiting - have you tried what I suggested to you? Why don't you give them a call and demand they pull your case out. It's certainly worked for me! :) Don't just sit there waiting or else they wont rush either...:rolleyes:

Well I phoned them this morning after checking the cheque had cleared :rolleyes: and have my appointment on 3rd November. I'm really stressing out over this, I havent had anything to drink for nearly a year so that should be fine, my problem is, previously I drank quite a lot for several years so I'm wondering if I caused any damage years ago that may show up? It will be really frustrating knowing I dont drink now but still cant drive.

Well just to let you all know I got my licence back today,that makes it just short of 3 months from when my ban was up on 26 July.There is one thing I have noticed,ive not heard from one person to be refused their licence on this site or infact anywhere,so just be patient.

Hiya new to this forum, was a bit confused to see everyone flapping pending there medical results or before there medical, my 2yr disqualification ended end of september, i sent away my application shortly after ban finished and today recieved a letter for medical marked ref HR05 if thats relevant, i phoned drivers medical group and asked when I could drive they told me that under section 88 of rta im allowed to drive pending medical as they have a valid application and that they will send me out a cover note to produce if required, i was advised to get the ok from my gp but this is not a legal requirement as the urnest is on me to make sure im fit to drive or something, so as far as I know im now legal to drive as long as i complete my medical within the 6 weeks provided, to be on safe side im going to wait for cover note but i would think even driving without one if asked by police some simple enquiries to dvla by them would resolve the matter, cant wait to get medical out the way at 22 i'd be worried if ive caused too much damage yet lol, I was origianlly banned for blowing 135mgs alcahol breath thing got a 2yr ban, hope this is helpfull will post what happens after medical or when cover note comes at end of week :)

im abit confused with all this !:(
i got banned in 1997 for 3 yrs(2 x 18 mths) it is now 2010 an i requested my licence bk to be told i have to have a medical!this i dont understand as i have been referred to as a high risk offender but have no convictions of any kind since the above date!
i had a letter which states i had to make an appointment for medical on monday 25th oct i am brickin my results as i work in a pub an im a social drinker!
but.... i stopped drinkin las sunday an now worried my test will fail!this is a bit muddled but im very worried !:confused:

Well just to let you all know I got my licence back today,that makes it just short of 3 months from when my ban was up on 26 July.There is one thing I have noticed,ive not heard from one person to be refused their licence on this site or infact anywhere,so just be patient.

Well done mate - at long last, eh? So there was nothing to worry abot after all for you too. What a con though with those delays! Happy driving! :D

im abit confused with all this !:(
i got banned in 1997 for 3 yrs(2 x 18 mths) it is now 2010 an i requested my licence bk to be told i have to have a medical!this i dont understand as i have been referred to as a high risk offender but have no convictions of any kind since the above date!
i had a letter which states i had to make an appointment for medical on monday 25th oct i am brickin my results as i work in a pub an im a social drinker!
but.... i stopped drinkin las sunday an now worried my test will fail!this is a bit muddled but im very worried !:confused:

Doesn't matter whether you had any other convictions or not. The high risk offender classification relates to what your reading was when you were stopped. Do I understand correctly that you were off the roads for 13 years? I don't get why you say that your conviction was 2 x 18 months, not just straight 36 months. Did you get convicted twice? I'm also not clear why you got a letter stating that you have to have a medical on the 25th. They normally leave it up to you to arrange it. DVLA only gives you the details of the surgery you need to contact to have the medical - it's not your own GP. It's then up to you to call that surgery and arrange the date.

Anyway, good luck, hopefully you'll be OK.

Doesn't matter whether you had any other convictions or not. The high risk offender classification relates to what your reading was when you were stopped. Do I understand correctly that you were off the roads for 13 years? I don't get why you say that your conviction was 2 x 18 months, not just straight 36 months. Did you get convicted twice? I'm also not clear why you got a letter stating that you have to have a medical on the 25th. They normally leave it up to you to arrange it. DVLA only gives you the details of the surgery you need to contact to have the medical - it's not your own GP. It's then up to you to call that surgery and arrange the date.

Anyway, good luck, hopefully you'll be OK.
it is a bit muddled yea i have been off road for 13 yrs an decided to get my licence bk for drivin an identification!i got caught an banned an caught again so got 2x 18 month bans!jus wonderin why i still have to have a medical ?

it is a bit muddled yea i have been off road for 13 yrs an decided to get my licence bk for drivin an identification!i got caught an banned an caught again so got 2x 18 month bans!jus wonderin why i still have to have a medical ?

I think you've answered all your own questions with this post, don't you?

Why not apply for a passport if you really need an ID...?

Slightly suspicious suddenly applying for a licence after 13 years off the road, having been banned twice before etc. Things have changed a lot since 1997...

Just wanted to add my piece on the timescale as I'm half way through now.

1. October 19th Applied for licence
  2. October 30th Received passport back
  3. November 8th Received letter to apply for medical - only took 20 days, maybe because I sent a postal order so no cheque to clear!

Obviously booking medical tomorrow so will keep you informed.

I think the HRO reference is more severe the higher the reading too....mine is HRO5 as I never gave a sample - idiot I was!

Good luck all

scooter

I think you've answered all your own questions with this post, don't you?

Why not apply for a passport if you really need an ID...?

Slightly suspicious suddenly applying for a licence after 13 years off the road, having been banned twice before etc. Things have changed a lot since 1997...
jus didn need a car thats why i didn apply!went for my medical ....a 70mile round trip,phone call when i got home they didn label my bloods properly so had to go bk next mornin to give more blood
we went on hols for 2 weeks usin my passport:) came bk an not recieved anything....jus wonderin how long it takes or is no news good news???:confused:

Hi Guys you all seem to know quite a bit about this on here

I have been drinking quite a bit over the years about 1 or 2 bottles of wine an evening have reduced that consumption considerably now and would say I am down to about 3 bottles a week and I am looking to stop completely over the next few months by reducing it even further to zero

I was not aware that a medical was required I failed to supply as I refused as an arrogant sod nevertheless I see that makes it worse however I had a clean licence for 30 years and was only given 12 months which reduces to 9 if I take a course I am booked on in December although I think I might wait till June anyway as it will give me an ability to abstain for say three months before my medical

What you are all probably asking is why not just give up, I am liaising with an American team that works on a drink in moderation system the problem is I love fine wines and there system is not about abstinence but moderation its also supposed to be better for long term drinkers with me that probably 30 years

I suppose the question I am asking is will they ever give me a licence back with such history not on my medical records but through my blood tests my aim ultimately is to be able to enjoy a nice bottle of wine with good food two or three times a week that’s not unreasonable I don’t think and the one thing this has taught me is that I will not drink and drive again as next time it could be custodial which I would never risk

Any sensible opinions - and yes I know I drink but I am being honest

I cant answer your question because everyone is different but I can tell you that I drank quite heavily for many years until a year ago. I also was worried that although I had now stopped, previous damage would show up and I would be refused. I got my licence yesterday morning (YAY!!) which was a relief but I also recieved a letter telling me one of my blood tests was abnormally high and I should see my G.P as soon as possible. It didnt say what test it was and it may not be relevant but I wont know until I find out. All you can do I think is abstain leading up to the medical and hope for the best.

I cant answer your question because everyone is different but I can tell you that I drank quite heavily for many years until a year ago. I also was worried that although I had now stopped, previous damage would show up and I would be refused. I got my licence yesterday morning (YAY!!) which was a relief but I also recieved a letter telling me one of my blood tests was abnormally high and I should see my G.P as soon as possible. It didnt say what test it was and it may not be relevant but I wont know until I find out. All you can do I think is abstain leading up to the medical and hope for the best.

many thanks for that would be good to hear from any other heavy drinkers as well good luck with the gp

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off