Hro medical (your experiences)

Convicted Driver Insurance
Jesus thats **** mate I got 3 really nice magistrates luck of the draw I suppose but thats bang out of order all that stuff I didn't have half of that and they knocked off a year and half
It’s been said many times in here, it’s a lottery. And that’s the frustrating part. Nothing should be left to chance or incompetence. There should be an industry standard, a quality benchmark. Fail to meet those targets and they should be punished for it. But they act with total and utter impunity. I’m an hgv driver, and as such could potentially earn in excess of 4 grand a month. Now, in any other industry if an organisation or person prevents you from earning that, then you are entitled to compensation. Why should DVLA be able to fk with people’s lives without facing the consequences.

It’s been said many times in here, it’s a lottery. And that’s the frustrating part. Nothing should be left to chance or incompetence. There should be an industry standard, a quality benchmark. Fail to meet those targets and they should be punished for it. But they act with total and utter impunity. I’m an hgv driver, and as such could potentially earn in excess of 4 grand a month. Now, in any other industry if an organisation or person prevents you from earning that, then you are entitled to compensation. Why should DVLA be able to fk with people’s lives without facing the consequences.
True think you just got really really unlucky by the sounds of it 😕

Well after checking online religiously every morning noon and night, I've just checked now and have been granted a 1yr license as of midnight tonight. I had my medical on 15th August, so it's taken 5 weeks from the date of the medical for them to contact my GP, make a decision and grant me a 1yr license. Even though it's only a 12 month one, I'm over the moon! Just need to look for insurance now as I'm away for the weekend and can't get out on the road until Monday.

I was a HRO (two convictions, 2yrs apart) so if anyone wants to ask any questions about my experience, go for it.
Had my medical 2 weeks ago so can see i got another 3 weeks depending on how fast my dr sends paperwork back cheers for the post ✌

my doctor has now replied with no issues just said increased amount back in july 2020n ( personal issues and when i got my ban )
now got to go for medical had 2 pints of cider at the weekend then nothing before for 2 week 2 glasses of prosseco had a medichecks done 4 weeks prior came back at 0.9 do you think i will be ok with medical in 2 weeks? x

my doctor has now replied with no issues just said increased amount back in july 2020n ( personal issues and when i got my ban )
now got to go for medical had 2 pints of cider at the weekend then nothing before for 2 week 2 glasses of prosseco had a medichecks done 4 weeks prior came back at 0.9 do you think i will be ok with medical in 2 weeks? x
Honest question, are you having trouble staying off the drink? I only ask as you’re at a pivotal moment and shouldn’t be playing Russian roulette and then asking if you’re gonna be ok. One sure fire way of being ok is complete abstinence. Please don’t think I’m judging just trying to help and offer advice.

I got a 1 year licence after 2 medicals & they contacted my GP.
What’s the process when my year’s up?? I understand I can drive under a section 88.
It’s been lovely being able to drive that’s for sure!!
Got a golf GTtdi 2.0L!! It’s mint & I’ve had to set the alarm at 30mph cos Plymouth is bad for speed cameras!!
I’ve not been drinking if I know I’ve got to drive. Doing these bloody medicals is the real punishment!! The ban was nothing compared to the medical… 😵‍💫
I scored 0.7% on my last CDT test. I stopped drinking for 3 weeks before the blood test.
My mate just had his results back. Poor bastard scored 8.7%!!!! I told him not to drink for a month as well. Did not listen at all!! Now he’s got to show clean LFT’s for a year.
Anyway if anyone could tell me what the process is once my year is up that would be great, many thanks…

There was a guy on my Community Service that was a heavy drinker / borderline alcoholic, and he had managed to stop drinking for 7 months. His wife left him a month ago and he hit the bottle again, and continued drinking until 3 days before his CDT and hit 6.7%. That coupled with the fact he had been to is GP about depression and they picked up on alcohol misuse means he's really gone down the wrong rabbit hole.

There was a guy on my Community Service that was a heavy drinker / borderline alcoholic, and he had managed to stop drinking for 7 months. His wife left him a month ago and he hit the bottle again, and continued drinking until 3 days before his CDT and hit 6.7%. That coupled with the fact he had been to is GP about depression and they picked up on alcohol misuse means he's really gone down the wrong rabbit hole.
That’s a familiar story, and could be almost anybody. I think until the medical profession and the judiciary work more closely to understand some of the underlying problems (mental health etc) rather than just punish the symptoms, we are never gonna improve drink driving statistics. I know it’s a tricky one, because if you accept mental health as a mitigating circumstance to avoid a ban, then of course every Monday at the local court we would have a huge queue of people suffering from mental illness lol. In many areas of life pertaining to the judiciary we accept many of life’s issues as mitigating factors, but not alcohol. So there’s quite a disparity there. What they also don’t get is, the more you punish individuals without any compassion or understanding, the more you invariably destroy their lives, and send them down the very rabbit holes you speak of. And that’s before the DVLA and your own GP’s bend you over.

I got a 1 year licence after 2 medicals & they contacted my GP.
What’s the process when my year’s up?? I understand I can drive under a section 88.
It’s been lovely being able to drive that’s for sure!!
Got a golf GTtdi 2.0L!! It’s mint & I’ve had to set the alarm at 30mph cos Plymouth is bad for speed cameras!!
I’ve not been drinking if I know I’ve got to drive. Doing these bloody medicals is the real punishment!! The ban was nothing compared to the medical… 😵‍💫
I scored 0.7% on my last CDT test. I stopped drinking for 3 weeks before the blood test.
My mate just had his results back. Poor bastard scored 8.7%!!!! I told him not to drink for a month as well. Did not listen at all!! Now he’s got to show clean LFT’s for a year.
Anyway if anyone could tell me what the process is once my year is up that would be great, many thanks…
Hi Daron. Shocked 8,7 how much was he drinking. I am having a test done at Nuffield with path direct and they said you have to drink a lot to get 3% and majority of the tests they do come out at 1,6. Just curios.

Hi Daron. Shocked 8,7 how much was he drinking. I am having a test done at Nuffield with path direct and they said you have to drink a lot to get 3% and majority of the tests they do come out at 1,6. Just curios.
Don’t think stopping for 4 weeks would have been enough time!

I’m after some help.. I’m assuming the DVLA wouldn’t waste money contacting a GP if someone didn’t pass the CDT test?
Unless there is dependant or misuse on your records I think the end is in sight for you and you should have your licence back soon. Keep us up to date.

Unless you are really tanking it everyday, I would have thought 5/6 weeks no alcohol would be enough to get a low score.

Unless there is dependant or misuse on your records I think the end is in sight for you and you should have your licence back soon. Keep us up to date.
Bloody hope so, GP report scanned in etc so another waiting game with fingers crossed 🤞!

Cheers buddy

Hi Guys

I applied for my licence on Thursday 29th September and noticed they have cashed the cheque in today.
From your experiences how long after the cheque has been cashed did you get your medical letter?

Many thanks

24, male, overweight but healthy / no medical conditions.

I drink 1-3 times a week depending on events or my work shift pattern; averaging between 4 - 8 pints of premium lager most times I drink.

My medical was on the 30th september, on the 16th September I drank roughly 7 pints of Stella, on the 17th I drank around 7/8 pints Heineken, 5/6 bottles of Stella, 2/3 cans of Stella (family weekend away).
On the 22nd of September I drank 6 pints of Stella alongside a curry, yum.
On the 24th of September I drank 1 tipple of whiskey, 6 pints of Peroni and a glass of Prosecco (family wedding).

In the 6 days before my medical I went for a couple of runs, ate averagely healthy but not over the top, drank loads of water - which is not unusual for me anyway.

Medical lasted around 10 mins, questionnaire was done in which I answered no to all the medical problems honestly and also replied honestly about my drinking on a weekly basis.
The doctor took my weight, laid me down and poked around my liver, took a stethoscope to listen to my heart and told me to inhale and exhale slowly a few times. Then he took my bloods and said “provided your bloods are okay you should be fine as you’re healthy enough”.

A mere 11 days later I had a phone call confirming my licence was reinstated as of the 12th of October and 5 days after that I received my physical licence (10 years) in the post, alongside my CDT results of 1%.

I drink 1-3 times a week depending on events or my work shift pattern; averaging between 4 - 8 pints of premium lager most times I drink.

My medical was on the 30th september, on the 16th September I drank roughly 7 pints of Stella, on the 17th I drank around 7/8 pints Heineken, 5/6 bottles of Stella, 2/3 cans of Stella (family weekend away).
On the 24th of September I drank 1 tipple of whiskey, 6 pints of Peroni and a glass of Prosecco (family wedding).

In the 6 days before my medical I went for a couple of runs, ate averagely healthy but not over the top, drank loads of water - which is not unusual for me anyway.

Medical lasted around 10 mins, questionnaire was done in which I answered no to all the medical problems honestly and also replied honestly about my drinking on a weekly basis.
The doctor took my weight, laid me down and poked around my liver, took a stethoscope to listen to my heart and told me to inhale and exhale slowly a few times. Then he took my bloods and said “provided your bloods are okay you should be fine as you’re healthy enough”.

A mere 11 days later I had a phone call confirming my licence was reinstated as of the 12th of October and 5 days after that I received my physical licence (10 years) in the post, alongside my CDT results of 1%.
Result well played 🙌

congratulations on the return of the license!

Unless you are really tanking it everyday, I would have thought 5/6 weeks no alcohol would be enough to get a low score.
Yes I also believe 4 weeks would be enough but was referring to Darren’s friend who got a cdt of 8,7% that would take 6 weeks to normalise just wondering how much he had to drink to get such n high score.

I am not sure if I can believe this. Maybe you have a super liver. Are you for real?

Honest question, are you having trouble staying off the drink? I only ask as you’re at a pivotal moment and shouldn’t be playing Russian roulette and then asking if you’re gonna be ok. One sure fire way of being ok is complete abstinence. Please don’t think I’m judging just trying to help and offer advice.
I know totally understand it was a 21st and 50th bash
I didn’t expect my medical to come round so quick x

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off