Admiral Insurance Drink and Drugs policy

Convicted Driver Insurance
Were you involved in an accident? Was there an insurance claim?
yes it has all been paid out ,i did tell my insurer that iwas drunk (not proud by the way)i had a lot on at the time but it now turns out i was under the limit obviously i never got paid out but I'm now wondering if i can chase them for the damages to my vehicle . i did also get one of them indemnity form to sign but never did

yes it has all been paid out ,i did tell my insurer that iwas drunk (not proud by the way)i had a lot on at the time but it now turns out i was under the limit obviously i never got paid out but I'm now wondering if i can chase them for the damages to my vehicle . i did also get one of them indemnity form to sign but never did

You said you were drunk so you've incriminated yourself.

The blood test under the limit probably due to the delay doing the test.

They don't need you to have been convicted to invoke the drink and drugs clause.
They will work on the balance of probability (and your own admission) that you were over the prescribed limit at the time of the accident.

If I were you I wouldn't poke the sleeping bear.

You said you were drunk so you've incriminated yourself.

The blood test under the limit probably due to the delay doing the test.

They don't need you to have been convicted to invoke the drink and drugs clause.
They will work on the balance of probability (and your own admission) that you were over the prescribed limit at the time of the accident.

If I were you I wouldn't poke the sleeping bear.
thanks for your advice :)

Hi,
So I got into a drunk drive crash just under 3 years ago now and I am dreading getting notified. They said it’s very possible they will recover in the future and the time is probably almost here.
I just wanted to find out what was your outcome? Also how do you recommend I deal with it?
I’m pretty sure the sum they are going to want is over 20k and I don’t have that money. Nor do I really want to pay it I lost everything because of this mistake and this is like a weight I still can’t shake. I deserved it and I learnt my lesson justice done but I feel like there must be something I can do.

The insurance I was with was A Choice

Thanks for keeping this thread active:)
I'm from the other side, I was claiming for injury from drink driver. It seems solicitors collect all medical info for claim but if its not sorted in 3yrs it goes to court which is when the costs are decided. Offers are normally made in the hope it doesn't go to court which solicitors fees can raise to 100k.

I'm from the other side, I was claiming for injury from drink driver. It seems solicitors collect all medical info for claim but if its not sorted in 3yrs it goes to court which is when the costs are decided. Offers are normally made in the hope it doesn't go to court which solicitors fees can raise to 100k.

There is a 3 year statute of limitation for personal injury claims.

The likes of Admiral will often make a pre-medical offer to the injured party to try to keep costs down and cut out other parties who typically take a slice of the compensation.

AIUI there are guidelines for the level of compensation based on the type of injury.

AIUI New processes are in place, or will be soon to streamline the injury claims process, especially for whiplash.

Obviously some accidents result in much more severe injuries and more complex, expensive cases.

It's highly unlikely it has been dealt with under the RTA unless the third party took you to court.
More likely to be processed as MIB Article 75 insurer. Worth asking them to clarify although I suspect the answer will be unclear.

Did Admiral et the third party to sign an A&A form? Did you sign an indemnity agreement?

Ask for the engineers report and photos of the damage and try to assess whether £2.7k is a fair price. Did they get the car repaired by one of their own approved repairers, or was it done through a claims management company? A CMC is going to cost more.

Ask them what personal injury was suffered. Did Admiral's own medic check them over to confirm the injuries? Did they pay up without a medical examination? They do that to reduce cost because soft tissue damage is very hard to diagnose and find it easier to pay without evidence.

Did the vehicle damage make it undrivable or unsafe to drive?
How long was the car hire for? What make and model was the hire car? They are entitled to an equivalent car for a couple of weeks.

It's really just a case of asking them to explain the breakdown of the claim, show the evidence it is based on and justifying the amount if you think it is high.
I have sent them a list of querries that are still left unanswered. Admiral only provided me with a few documents where there is an engineer report, a rental vehicle agreement, bills for the 3rd party repairs and the payment made by admiral.

Looking through the information i could notice the following:
- the damaged car was a nissan pusar 2016 reg plate, 1.2 petrol engine with valued by the engineer at approx £7k
- the damage included 2no small identantions on the lower part of the bumper which made the corner of the bumper to become unclipped on the corner (above the wheel), a few cm's.
-the engineer concluded that the car is not roadworthy due to that corner protuding (which could have been clipped back by hand)
-the report includes an estimate to fix the car (£1k repair to rear bumper - i guess is labour, £700 for paint, £700 for parts - bumper with the aux parts) to a total of approx £2.7k
-the repair shop offered a replacement car - a prestige class mercedes e220 for 30 days. this was offered for a total of £4k and admiral accepted a lower sum of £3.9k
-there is a statement saying that the driver acceped a vehicle on credit to continue earing a living (uber) and that he did not received an offer from a replacement vehicle from the at-fault insurer.
-his car was in the repair shop for 10 days, he used the merc for 30 days, 2 days extra from the time his car was out of the shop.

I did not received any information about the injury claim.

Looking at the numbers, in this case, the insurance would have offered a total loss due to the hire price alone, i would say.
No one had a look at the car to make a temporary repair (clipping back the bumper) so the car could be used until the parts arrived at the shop.
In addition, he s been offered a premium class vehicle for a longer period of time than needed. I could argue that he could have joined the premium uber vehicles and make more money. It 's also listed that he did approx 5000 miles with the Mercedes.

looking forward for eveyrone's view on this one.

cheers.

You have plenty to challenge them on.

Who is the engineer working for?
Are they independent or being paid by a claims management company or the repairer.

What have Admiral done to mitigate the losses? £100 off the car hire is a joke.

He is only entitled to an equivalent car. It doesn't take a month for a simple repair.

I sometimes wonder if it is better to be taken to court and have a chance to dispute the costs in front of a Judge, or have the chance to make an offer direct to the third party.

Instead you have to fill the pockets of others with their inflated charges.

Maybe start with telling them that the costs look unfair, highly inflated and that you are not prepared to accept their demand until they have been challenged and your questions answered.

Are they independent or being paid by a claims management company or the repairer.

He is only entitled to an equivalent car. It doesn't take a month for a simple repair.

I sometimes wonder if it is better to be taken to court and have a chance to dispute the costs in front of a Judge, or have the chance to make an offer direct to the third party.

Maybe start with telling them that the costs look unfair, highly inflated and that you are not prepared to accept their demand until they have been challenged and your questions answered.
Hi

I’ve recently been involved in an accident. I was the driver. Road side breathalyser tested positive for alcohol. Car was seriously damage but involved no other vehicle and nobody was injured, thankfully. Breathalyser at station confirmed over limit.

Court hearing to take place in September. Car is with a recovery place at the moment. Admiral have been notified of an accident involving my car. I can only assume by police or in some other way. I lost my phone for days so could not report the Incident myself for days but plan on doing so in next day or so.

In all probability, reading the threads of others in similar situation, admiral are not going to cover the repairs to the car. My car. If they are not going to do so, do they have any right to step in and suggest the car should be written off?

I’ve had some advice on my own situation and looking at. Driving ban. I cannot argue with that. Also looking at a fine. Can’t argue there also. I’m just glad of no injury or damage to anyone or any other property but my car has serious damage to it and I’d hope to try and get it back so I can look to repair it myself, if it’s even possible; as I say, damage was significant to the car having hit a bridge/barrier at the side of a dual carriageway.

Any help, advice, comments on what to do would be helpful.

As far as I can see, I (obviously) need to report the incident to the insurer. I will do that. They will ask if police were involved and I’ll have to say of course yes to that also. Once they investigate matters they may conclude they wish to invalidate the insurance, notwithstanding I have not been convicted of anything. I guess I am just after any kind of thoughts on what to do if anyone reading this would be willing to share any help, recommendations in dealing with the situation, how to deal with admiral. Pretty much anything at this stage would be gratefully received.

Hi

I’ve recently been involved in an accident. I was the driver. Road side breathalyser tested positive for alcohol. Car was seriously damage but involved no other vehicle and nobody was injured, thankfully. Breathalyser at station confirmed over limit.

Court hearing to take place in September. Car is with a recovery place at the moment. Admiral have been notified of an accident involving my car. I can only assume by police or in some other way. I lost my phone for days so could not report the Incident myself for days but plan on doing so in next day or so.

In all probability, reading the threads of others in similar situation, admiral are not going to cover the repairs to the car. My car. If they are not going to do so, do they have any right to step in and suggest the car should be written off?

I’ve had some advice on my own situation and looking at. Driving ban. I cannot argue with that. Also looking at a fine. Can’t argue there also. I’m just glad of no injury or damage to anyone or any other property but my car has serious damage to it and I’d hope to try and get it back so I can look to repair it myself, if it’s even possible; as I say, damage was significant to the car having hit a bridge/barrier at the side of a dual carriageway.

As far as I can see, I (obviously) need to report the incident to the insurer. I will do that. They will ask if police were involved and I’ll have to say of course yes to that also. Once they investigate matters they may conclude they wish to invalidate the insurance, notwithstanding I have not been convicted of anything. I guess I am just after any kind of thoughts on what to do if anyone reading this would be willing to share any help, recommendations in dealing with the situation, how to deal with admiral. Pretty much anything at this stage would be gratefully received.

They will not provide cover for your car and your policy is likely to be cancelled.
They won't be able to say if the car is written off without an estimate for repairs and a valuation. A car is written off if it is uneconomical to repair. You will need to get your own estimates for repairs and decide if it is worthwhile.

You hit something very hard so the Highways Agency or the bridge owner might want to claim for inspection and potential repairs.

Hi

As far as I can see, I (obviously) need to report the incident to the insurer. I will do that. They will ask if police were involved and I’ll have to say of course yes to that also. Once they investigate matters they may conclude they wish to invalidate the insurance, notwithstanding I have not been convicted of anything. I guess I am just after any kind of thoughts on what to do if anyone reading this would be willing to share any help, recommendations in dealing with the situation, how to deal with admiral. Pretty much anything at

They will not provide cover for your car and your policy is likely to be cancelled.
They won't be able to say if the car is written off without an estimate for repairs and a valuation. A car is written off if it is uneconomical to repair. You will need to get your own estimates for repairs and decide if it is worthwhile.

You hit something very hard so the Highways Agency or the bridge owner might want to claim for inspection and potential repairs.
You should also check who is paying for your vehicle's storage? Give the storage company a call.
If they're not paying your claim. Will they be paying your storage fees?
They are FTSE 100 because they make large profit. A point lost on most people here.

More correspondence from the **** in the hat today. Same thing, shorter deadline.

Next reply written, pointing out yet more flaws in their procedure.

I will not let these lying ****s win.

I have challenged all these costs and i got a short reply from the claims department saying that they dealt with the vehicles damage in the best possible terms and that they will not negociate heads of the claims as they have already paid.

They have asked me to raise the points with the recovery team.

I have challenged all these costs and i got a short reply from the claims department saying that they dealt with the vehicles damage in the best possible terms and that they will not negociate heads of the claims as they have already paid.

They have asked me to raise the points with the recovery team.

Sounds like you had a lot of good points to raise with them and they are not playing ball.

Keep seeking clarification. If you don't get any joy raise an official complaint. They have to respond to that and if you're still not happy with the outcome raise it with the FOS.

Hi

Hi Mate, I was involved in a similar situation, assuming it was the police who arranged the 3rd party company to remove your car from the scene, you will be liable for all storage costs so would suggest getting it removed asap as these can mount up, you will be charged per day. If the car is a write off vehicle salvage companies may offer you a price / and collect it for free from the compound if you can make a deal with them, worth shopping around.
I had to do that for my car, the total scrap fee was deducted of my vehicle finance owed.
Assuming you own the vehicle (not pcp or hp)

hi
did anyone went through same issue as mine if you did or know what's the outcome?

I had incident 2years ago Drink and drive and 3monthes ago they come back to me asking for money which is 28k.
saying we have dealt with third-party claim for personal injury, and they lost. ( i still remember they all look ok they didn't even get hurt it was just a touch)

now my insurance company (Elephant) they are asking 28K from me CAN THEY DO THAT?
i mean why should i pay is that not something insurance company pay for.

Hello friends,

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a lawyer that deals with this type of thing. I don't know where begin looking!

Also, I've read a few people say they have got the initial price down by haggling with Admiral, is that a rare case or something that is common practice? I assume my bill will be between £20-30k at a guess.

Finally, do I have to disclose my financial status to Admiral? I am in a position to afford the £30k if I sold my house, or cashed in some investments. So I'm in a lucky situation in that regard but it will still financially hurt a lot!

Many thanks

James

Hello friends,

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a lawyer that deals with this type of thing. I don't know where begin looking!

Also, I've read a few people say they have got the initial price down by haggling with Admiral, is that a rare case or something that is common practice? I assume my bill will be between £20-30k at a guess.

Finally, do I have to disclose my financial status to Admiral? I am in a position to afford the £30k if I sold my house, or cashed in some investments. So I'm in a lucky situation in that regard but it will still financially hurt a lot!

Many thanks

James

It's hard to find a solicitor that understands this area of road traffic law and the MIB. They would need to engage with a barrister who specialises in their area. They usually work for the insurance companies, usually in arguments about who is liable.

I did recently find one barrister who was prepared to have a chat without me having to go via a solicitor. Cost £600 for 1 hour!
I couldn't justify the cost just to satisfy my need to understand if Admiral are operating within the law.

It has definitely been worth haggling with them. They dropped in stages from £23k to £9k. Still didn't pay.
They do seem to have reduced their engagement with the people they are pursuing. I don't know why. They always seemed incompetent to me.
The claim will be inflated and they will not have done much to challenge it on your (or their own) behalf.

You do not have to disclose anything about your financial status unless they take you to court and get a county court judgment against you. If they know you can afford it they'll keep pursuing you.

You will not need to sell your house!
Seek advice from Citizens Advice or StepChange about debt management options.

Hi,

I just wanted to share my Admiral story (so far) as I assume it's still ongoing in some capacity. Reading the posts from @Depressed Dad has been very helpful.

My case was actually discontinued prior to the first hearing, I was prepared to take it to trial but ended up not having to make a single court appearance.

Of course, Admiral continued to chase me for £2k. I haven't heard anything for 3 months or so and hope that due to the relatively small amount it has slipped the net, or they just have much larger balances to chase. Time will tell.

Hi,

I just wanted to share my Admiral story (so far) as I assume it's still ongoing in some capacity. Reading the posts from @Depressed Dad has been very helpful.

My case was actually discontinued prior to the first hearing, I was prepared to take it to trial but ended up not having to make a single court appearance.

Of course, Admiral continued to chase me for £2k. I haven't heard anything for 3 months or so and hope that due to the relatively small amount it has slipped the net, or they just have much larger balances to chase. Time will tell.

Thanks for sharing. It is very hard to find out the outcomes so your input is very much appreciated.

Why do you think they backed out?

Did you feel well prepared for the court experience?
Were you going to represent yourself, or did you have a legal representative?

If the law backs them as they claim then the court case should surely be a formality.

I suspect there's something in their strategy that is untested in court, otherwise just take everyone to court as soon as the claim has been settled.
Why keep harassing people over a number of years if they are on solid ground. Successful court cases would surely act as a lever to get others to cave in.

It's a mystery.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off