Concerned DVLA may classify me as a dependent/misuser

Convicted Driver Insurance

Richard84

Evening all. I was banned a few months back for a DR10 (long story but basically I had far too much to drink after meeting friends I hadn’t seen for months, stupidly got in my car after struggling to get a lift or taxi & crashed, was arrested & blew 98 at the station). It was a first offence & I was banned for 24 months (will be reduced by 24 weeks with the course) & I’m currently working my way through a chunk of community service (120hrs).
I realise I’m classed as an HRO & have been notified by the DVLA I’ll need a full medical. I was concerned as to what this entails which is what brought me to this site. I was concerned to read that it’s fairly commonplace for the DVLA to write to your GP and get them to complete a DD2 form as part of the medical process.
I last visited my GP in March 2019 with a stomach problem & when he asked me how much I was drinking at that time I told him truthfully (maybe foolishly!) that I was drinking between 35-40 units a week (I was in between relationships at the time & was going to the local probably 4-5 nights a week to get me out of the house). He told me I needed to cut down which I duly did & nearly 3 years later I’m happily settled down & drink about 10 units a week. I’ve never thought I had a problem with alcohol & I’ve never sought treatment for any drink related issues.
It’s just playing on my mind as to whether my GP will declare my admission from 3 years ago & this will put me into a dependent or misuse bracket in the eyes of the DVLA? I’ve got 14 months left of my ban & I don’t want any more unnecessary delays to me getting back on the road.
Should I be proactive & try & record some LFTs with my GP now to prove I now drink within the guidelines? Would asking my GP for LFTs be seen as me admitting I’ve got a drink problem? Or should I just see what happens in 12 months or so when I do my medical (fingers crossed!)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello, unfortunately by the nature of being a HRO they will inevitably write to your named GP for an opinion. I think all the HROs I know about have had to provide additional information to them as well as the DVLA medical.

The DVLA medical is essentially a questionaire and a blood test. The blood test bit is easy to pass without problem. Just stop drinking for a a few months before hand and it will be ok. Every person is different and it takes each person a different amount of time for their CDT level to fall. Remember its a marker of long term use and if your drinking lots for a long time it will take a while for this marker to fall. So I suggest complete abstinance for a few months before the blood test is due.

If and when they write to your named GP ( i say named specifically for a reason ), they will only be able to comment on what they know. If they look at their records and the person from a few years ago has written down the word dependence then that can be an issue. So Id suggest getting out in front of the problem and trying to change the narritive.

Id suggest finding out who your named GP is. Sometimes the person who has been seeing you for years isnt the person whos offically named as your GP and the named person in certain practices can be one GP for everyone. Its just how some practices work.

If you can see this named GP then great go ahead and try and get an appt with them. Why do you want an appt the receptionst will ask ,well just say I want to discuss "mens health" with them, or even "womans health" for those that are ladies. The receoptionist just needs a reason to book you in , not your life story.

Once you see the GP , id be honest and say something like ( change as suits) . Listen Im currently banned from driving as I was stupid and made a mistake. I dont have a problem with alcohol and I dont regularly misuse it, but I have previously drank inappropriately. However this has changed and im ok.

NB if your not ok with alcohol, PLEASE just be honest with them as there is help and if you do honestly need help with alcohol use help is available, and it can get better. Get that sorted before your driving ! honestly its much better to do that. I know how crippling an alcohol problem can be and id rather be playing this waiting game with the DVLA than going through that hell again. Take a look at yourself ( and all reading this message ) do you need help, could you have a problem, if so then just ask, even ask me . It can get better.

Anyway Id be honest with the GP explain that your not driving and you just want to have on record how you are as you know they will be asked about you in the future. Id suggest trying to have an update with the GP every 4-6 months. So that when the form drops on their desk they can say "oh yes I know him, hes doing ok, hes not dependent etc etc" The only way to get the GP / consultant to write what the DVLA wants to hear is by making sure that the Dr knows you and theres up to date documentation reflecting this during your ban.

So then if they do write you can have a conversation with them before about what they think and do they think your a misuser or a dependent.

Youll have more success that way as opposed to just turning up and saying , i need this filled in but dont tell them im dependent..........

Get the GP on your side , make sure they understand what your doing and what you need from them and prove to them that they can write what you want. Get the ban out of the way then the DVLA medical will be ok and any communication from your Dr should be ok.

The person filling in the form can only base their writing based on the information they have so make sure they have lots.

I hadnt drank for almost 2 years when I had my medical. I dont know the CDT result from them but I know its normal ( ive had other tests done around then not for the DVLA ). So i didnt have to worry about that. They have written to my Dr who wrote back in 2 days as he knew how important it was for me to get back on the road. He didnt say im dependent as he knew what that would result in. hes happy with me and so that wasnt a problem.

The issue is being a HRO the timescale for the licence being returned is like how long is a piece of string. So in summary id say control what you can i.e. your drinking and your relationship with your GP and what they know about you , and then just go through the process like we all are these days.

Good luck

and it anyone is wondering, yes im a Dr myself

Ha ha - did not see that last sentence coming!

All strong advice but just wanted to chip in and say I was a HRO and my Dr was not contacted. It does seem to be totally random but the DVLA Dr said I had a very low score on the questionnaire. A copy of their decision letter was sent to my medical practice though so that's a conversation (yet) to be had.

Also here is what are the "rules" per say to be classed as dependent

Alcohol dependence​

Guide to definition of dependence​

There is no singular definition to embrace all the variables within alcohol dependence – but DVLA offers the following:

“A cluster of behavioural, cognitive and physiological phenomena that develop after repeated alcohol use, including:

• a strong desire to take alcohol
  • difficulties in controlling its use
  • persistent use in spite of harmful consequences
  • and with evidence of increased tolerance and sometimes a physical withdrawal state”
Indicators may include any history of withdrawal symptoms, tolerance, detoxification or alcohol-related seizures.

The relevant classification code for alcohol dependence is World Health Organization F10.2 (ICD-10).

Thank you for your advice; it’s been very helpful. I shall get in contact with my GP next week, although according to one of my work colleagues they have a COVID outbreak amongst the staff at the surgery at the moment!!
I hope you get your licence back soon, I really feel for all fellow HROs that are struggling with DVLA delays currently. I only hope that when the time comes for me to reapply for my licence that they have returned to something approaching normality at Swansea.

Thank you for your advice; it’s been very helpful. I shall get in contact with my GP next week, although according to one of my work colleagues they have a COVID outbreak amongst the staff at the surgery at the moment!!
I hope you get your licence back soon, I really feel for all fellow HROs that are struggling with DVLA delays currently. I only hope that when the time comes for me to reapply for my licence that they have returned to something approaching normality at Swansea.
I hope things are better too, but if you look back at the posts in this Forum , the service was appalling long before covid. The DVLA « normal « is poor , unfortunately.

Evening all. I was banned a few months back for a DR10 (long story but basically I had far too much to drink after meeting friends I hadn’t seen for months, stupidly got in my car after struggling to get a lift or taxi & crashed, was arrested & blew 98 at the station). It was a first offence & I was banned for 24 months (will be reduced by 24 weeks with the course) & I’m currently working my way through a chunk of community service (120hrs).
I realise I’m classed as an HRO & have been notified by the DVLA I’ll need a full medical. I was concerned as to what this entails which is what brought me to this site. I was concerned to read that it’s fairly commonplace for the DVLA to write to your GP and get them to complete a DD2 form as part of the medical process.
I last visited my GP in March 2019 with a stomach problem & when he asked me how much I was drinking at that time I told him truthfully (maybe foolishly!) that I was drinking between 35-40 units a week (I was in between relationships at the time & was going to the local probably 4-5 nights a week to get me out of the house). He told me I needed to cut down which I duly did & nearly 3 years later I’m happily settled down & drink about 10 units a week. I’ve never thought I had a problem with alcohol & I’ve never sought treatment for any drink related issues.
It’s just playing on my mind as to whether my GP will declare my admission from 3 years ago & this will put me into a dependent or misuse bracket in the eyes of the DVLA? I’ve got 14 months left of my ban & I don’t want any more unnecessary delays to me getting back on the road.
Should I be proactive & try & record some LFTs with my GP now to prove I now drink within the guidelines? Would asking my GP for LFTs be seen as me admitting I’ve got a drink problem? Or should I just see what happens in 12 months or so when I do my medical (fingers crossed!)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I was revoked for misuse. Never committed a crime. Due to DVLA bullshit I've been able to drive for half that time
. You'll have to apply every year for ever it seems. Keep straoght and maybe section 88 will help you

Evening all, so I’ve been trying to get an appointment with my GP to discuss my medical history unsuccessfully for the past few months. I keep getting fobbed off that it’s not a situation of urgency, they’re really busy etc. I even tried seeing him about another medical matter in the hope I’d be able to discuss my alcohol consumption & whether he has any concerns with my history but I ended up getting a telephone appointment with a different GP at the surgery.
I’m just wondering whether anyone has any advice on what I should do? My GP is a decent chap & I’m sure he would listen to my concerns and help me out if I could actually get to see him.
The whole situation is causing me a massive amount of stress & anxiety, I mean, the DVLA may not even write to him, but it’d be just my luck that they do!

Hi can somebody help me please!
I have received a letter from dvla saying they have received information about a medical condition,i have no medical condition but i used to smoke cannabis.. I am clean now and have been for a while. Im just wondering if the dvla automatically take your license before attending the medical if you tell them you have smoked cannabis in the last 3 years. Please if anyone can shed some light would be much appreciated.

Hi can somebody help me please!
I have received a letter from dvla saying they have received information about a medical condition,i have no medical condition but i used to smoke cannabis.. I am clean now and have been for a while. Im just wondering if the dvla automatically take your license before attending the medical if you tell them you have smoked cannabis in the last 3 years. Please if anyone can shed some light would be much appreciated.
FIRST OFF, never mention any prior use of drugs or alcohol misuse, ever. They propper shaft you. All they do is tick boxes and those are red flags. Passed my drink driving medical but like an odiot admitted to smoking a joint 2 years ago, wanted to be honest, figured it would show im not lying about other stuff.
This delayed me a further year. Had 2 other medical checks. The second for urinde drug misuse problem tests. Its a complete joke really.
Bottom line. U will have to be assesed by your gp no doubt. And hope they then dont send you for a further urine test. They likely will. And with all the delays its like 8 weeks vetween writtem rellies and booked appointments so its a long road. Just keep ur chin up. Limit to just a few drinks a month and dont smoke weed or do drugs at all. They show for a month at least. Cant hide it.
Not worth the pain of a further ban for a year if tested positive. I messed up and took a bag of coke 3 days before what i thought was second blood test for alcohol (not had a drink in months)
But they suprised me with a drug test so i will likely fail and be off the road for a 4th year. If im lucky the stress of ot all wont drive me crazy and i may have a LITTLE hair left by the time i get back ok the road. Keep your chin up guys its brutal I know. Stay focused and dont let them get you down. One day at a time.

I’m HRO. I don’t think my GP was contacted post CDT. Like PP said, bit of a lottery unless you have spoken to GP about ‘dependence’ in the past…

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off