DVLA Delays with Medical Enquiries

Convicted Driver Insurance

ffrnd

Hello

I was banned as a HRO and got my first medical licence in September last year. This has now expired and I sent my new application in late July I think, knowing this did not leave a lot of time and in all likelihood I would face a period off the road whilst my application was considered.

As I spoke about on another thread, at the beginning of August I called the DVLA and asked for confirmation that they had received all the relevant forms. I was told they had, and also informed that under S88 I could continue to drive as long as I had consent from my GP, which I do.

Since then, I have heard nothing from DVLA and it is useless to try calling them. So I am left wondering what to do. I feel uncomfortable driving with only a verbal assurance that my forms have been received by DVLA, but I cannot contact them to ask for written confirmation (I assume writing a letter would be as pointless as trying to call). What worries me is if I get stopped by the police say, claim entitlement to drive under S88 (whilst medical enquiries are progressing) and then for the DVLA to say they have no record of having received my forms.

Does anybody have any advice or information an how long medical enquiries are currently taking please? I assume, as per last year, their first step will be to contact my GP but she has heard nothing and I have not received a letter informing me that this is happening.

Thanks

Hello

I was banned as a HRO and got my first medical licence in September last year. This has now expired and I sent my new application in late July I think, knowing this did not leave a lot of time and in all likelihood I would face a period off the road whilst my application was considered.

As I spoke about on another thread, at the beginning of August I called the DVLA and asked for confirmation that they had received all the relevant forms. I was told they had, and also informed that under S88 I could continue to drive as long as I had consent from my GP, which I do.

Since then, I have heard nothing from DVLA and it is useless to try calling them. So I am left wondering what to do. I feel uncomfortable driving with only a verbal assurance that my forms have been received by DVLA, but I cannot contact them to ask for written confirmation (I assume writing a letter would be as pointless as trying to call). What worries me is if I get stopped by the police say, claim entitlement to drive under S88 (whilst medical enquiries are progressing) and then for the DVLA to say they have no record of having received my forms.

Does anybody have any advice or information an how long medical enquiries are currently taking please? I assume, as per last year, their first step will be to contact my GP but she has heard nothing and I have not received a letter informing me that this is happening.

Thanks
My 1 year medical licence ran out in July, I sent all the forms off in April.

Beginning of July they wrote to me saying they were writing to my GP. I spoke my GP end July and they had already sent the forms off to DVLA.

Beginning of September, they wrote to me again saying they were writing to my GP as they had not heard back???? End of September, I spoke to my actual GP who went through the new forms on the phone with me. She said would post back same day.

Last week I actually got through to DVLA, they said my forms from GP were scanned on 26th October. I asked why it took so long to scan on, they said they don't give any timescales and they get to things when they get to them.... She was really arsey with me, saying I shouldn't be calling them for an update, I said my application has taken more than 7 months so far and they were not updating me, she actually said "Well that's life isn't it!?!? You'll just have to wait like everybody else."

Again she said they don't give timescales and not to call them again, they would get in touch with me when there was further information! I said that I will call every 2 days until I get an update (I'm not going to as I have more important things to do than sit waiting for an hour for them to answer the phone). She said you may be able to drive under Section 88, I said that I cannot drive abroad though and their incompetence meant I had to postpone a trip.

Still no further forwards. Next step is for medical, but no idea how long before they offer me one, and no idea how long will take after done it to reissue licence.

Happy Days!

My 1 year medical licence ran out in July, I sent all the forms off in April.

Beginning of July they wrote to me saying they were writing to my GP. I spoke my GP end July and they had already sent the forms off to DVLA.

Beginning of September, they wrote to me again saying they were writing to my GP as they had not heard back???? End of September, I spoke to my actual GP who went through the new forms on the phone with me. She said would post back same day.

Last week I actually got through to DVLA, they said my forms from GP were scanned on 26th October. I asked why it took so long to scan on, they said they don't give any timescales and they get to things when they get to them.... She was really arsey with me, saying I shouldn't be calling them for an update, I said my application has taken more than 7 months so far and they were not updating me, she actually said "Well that's life isn't it!?!? You'll just have to wait like everybody else."

Again she said they don't give timescales and not to call them again, they would get in touch with me when there was further information! I said that I will call every 2 days until I get an update (I'm not going to as I have more important things to do than sit waiting for an hour for them to answer the phone). She said you may be able to drive under Section 88, I said that I cannot drive abroad though and their incompetence meant I had to postpone a trip.

Still no further forwards. Next step is for medical, but no idea how long before they offer me one, and no idea how long will take after done it to reissue licence.

Happy Days!
Oh Dear.

Sounds like I'm not the only one in this particular (sinking) boat. The guy I spoke to at the DVLA said it could take up to ten weeks to even get my forms scanned onto their system. I have to say, unlike most of my experiences with DVLA he was friendly, considerate and reassuring. But I only have his word to go on.

So I guess I will continue, with some trepidation, to drive under S88. My GP will have documented that I discussed this with her but I do feel uneasy only having a verbal assurance from DVLA.

You can only drive for a year under S88 in any event. In normal times this would be a non-issue, but if you've been waiting 7 months and haven't had a medical yet that stipulation may become a factor for people waiting for medical renewal applications.

Hi ffrnd

Whatever anyone says about driving under Section 88, and I personally felt I met the criteria, as I had my GPs approval, but never felt comfortable about this. I kept the letter from the DVLA addressed to me in my car, in case I was stopped, which said I that might be eligible to drive under S88. It seemed to me to be a possibility rather than an absolute, and I didn’t totally trust it.
I live in a rural community where there are no, literally no, buses or any public transport.

So I decided that as I needed to get to work, as a nurse, in a care home 8 miles from home, that I would drive and keep my journeys to as short and local as I could, exercising defensive driving at all times. It kept me safe, but didn’t give me the freedom to move around that Section 88 might have done. I probably should have checked with my insurers in hindsight, but even then feel I would have had reservations.

I have seen on here recently that Admiral are ok with S88, but they recently declined by householder policy because of my DD conviction….so who knows!!

Just my own interpretation of it all and trying to keep myself safe. Take care everyone, Jane

I'm insured with Hastings and they were fine about S88 - but I'm 5 years post conviction so I didn't have to declare it to them. I've had to make a small claim since I've been with them and fingers crossed it all seems to be progressing smoothly.

I forgot that the DVLA letter only says you *might* be able to drive under S88 so it may not be much comfort but it is something.

If I got stopped my understanding is that I would have to satisfy the police that i) my licence had expired whilst a medical enquiry was ongoing - which it was as I had returned the medical enquiry forms to DVLA before my licence ran out and ii) I had consent from my GP.

It's the first point that is bothering me, and if I had the letter that would at least be written confirmation that they had received my forms, but I think I read somewhere on this forum that DVLA is no longer sending out S88 letters. So, assuming I can't get through on the phone (and god knows I've tried!) I won't know for sure that things are progressing with DVLA until I get the letter about them contacting my GP.

You approach sounds very sensible Jane and like you I live in a rural community and am trying to use my car as little as possible until this is all sorted. I'm lucky that the village I live is close to an A road with a bus stop and I can get a bus to Peterborough station relatively easily so I get the train for long trips.

I kick myself that I didn't send the forms back by recorded delivery.

Hi ffrnd

Whatever anyone says about driving under Section 88, and I personally felt I met the criteria, as I had my GPs approval, but never felt comfortable about this. I kept the letter from the DVLA addressed to me in my car, in case I was stopped, which said I that might be eligible to drive under S88. It seemed to me to be a possibility rather than an absolute, and I didn’t totally trust it.
I live in a rural community where there are no, literally no, buses or any public transport.

So I decided that as I needed to get to work, as a nurse, in a care home 8 miles from home, that I would drive and keep my journeys to as short and local as I could, exercising defensive driving at all times. It kept me safe, but didn’t give me the freedom to move around that Section 88 might have done. I probably should have checked with my insurers in hindsight, but even then feel I would have had reservations.

I have seen on here recently that Admiral are ok with S88, but they recently declined by householder policy because of my DD conviction….so who knows!!

Just my own interpretation of it all and trying to keep myself safe. Take care everyone, Jane
Try Nationwide for your householder policies.

I called and asked that same question and was told that the convictions would not affect the polices. I also made sure I got this in writing from then via email.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off