CDT Test (Carbohydrate Deficient Transferrin)

Convicted Driver Insurance
So CJ am I right in thinking you are on a one year licence and being CDT ‘d yearly as a way of being allowed to continue to drive ??

Autumntwist

To answer your question -

I was re-instated with a 12 month temporary licence in January 2021 following a drink driving ban. I am a HRO and I was put in the category of a 'misuser'. I did my first DVLA medical on the 19th November last year (2020) and I will need to attend a second medical in due course. Like I said in my previous post, I don't anticipate doing my second medical until early next year (2022), so I'll be using good old Section 88 when my current licence expires because of all this fiasco with the DVLA.

For anyone subject to the HRO process, it can last six years at the conclusion of the ban. The DVLA can plough you with 6 x 12 month licences, with a annual medical every year if they wanted to, but it is very rare for this to happen (you would have had to have p****d someone off at Swansea to be put in this scenario!). Everyone, I have spoken to on this site, always gets a 12 month month temporary licence in their first year if they are a HRO who has declared anything in their medical history. It is almost like a 'probation' period to ensure you remain on your best behaviour.

The second year is a conundrum - the DVLA could potentially just give you another 12 month driving licence or they may loosen the noose and give you a slightly longer licence (say 3 years). I am hoping for the latter next time around, then at least I don't have to put up with the DVLA nonsence again in another 12 months down the line.

CJ

Autumntwist

To answer your question -

I was re-instated with a 12 month temporary licence in January 2021 following a drink driving ban. I am a HRO and I was put in the category of a 'misuser'. I did my first DVLA medical on the 19th November last year (2020) and I will need to attend a second medical in due course. Like I said in my previous post, I don't anticipate doing my second medical until early next year (2022), so I'll be using good old Section 88 when my current licence expires because of all this fiasco with the DVLA.

For anyone subject to the HRO process, it can last six years at the conclusion of the ban. The DVLA can plough you with 6 x 12 month licences, with a annual medical every year if they wanted to, but it is very rare for this to happen (you would have had to have p****d someone off at Swansea to be put in this scenario!). Everyone, I have spoken to on this site, always gets a 12 month month temporary licence in their first year if they are a HRO who has declared anything in their medical history. It is almost like a 'probation' period to ensure you remain on your best behaviour.

The second year is a conundrum - the DVLA could potentially just give you another 12 month driving licence or they may loosen the noose and give you a slightly longer licence (say 3 years). I am hoping for the latter next time around, then at least I don't have to put up with the DVLA nonsence again in another 12 months down the line.

CJ
Ahhh fantastic I see now .
Drink I can live without…
Driving I cannot…

Its simple really if I want to drive and get my life and more importantly my mental health back don’t drink .

And as we have said also .. if it’s not written on paper it hasn’t happened.

who ever said ‘honesty is the best policy’ … well from more than one occasion in my life I can say ….

IGNORE THAT 🤦🏻‍♂️

Ahhh fantastic I see now .
Drink I can live without…
Driving I cannot…

Its simple really if I want to drive and get my life and more importantly my mental health back don’t drink .

And as we have said also .. if it’s not written on paper it hasn’t happened.

who ever said ‘honesty is the best policy’ … well from more than one occasion in my life I can say ….

IGNORE THAT 🤦🏻‍♂️
I agree with what you say re the importance of your health. I gave up drinking , belatedly, because of the severe impact it was having on every aspect of my well being . I’ve had my full 10 year licence returned, but as you indicate , the benefits of avoiding alcohol go way beyond that . I hope the process goes smoothly for you .

I posted on the medical thread as I've just received my licence back and promised I'd update here. I also posted how nervous I was around the time leading up to the medical and my experience from the day of the medical; concerns about the CDT analysis and questions from the DVLA Medical doctor. Posters have been so helpful along my journey - I wish I had found this site much earlier on..

I offended in Oct 2019 and following an extremely stupid decision, I found my life spiralling out of control somewhat with external factors contributing to the DD mistake (where fortunately I did not do serious damage as a result of that stupid 'decision'); but led on to serious mental un-wellness and debilitating shame.

So - I decided to quit drinking for 16 months from the January 2020 until May 2021. Not too difficult through lockdown and the guilt; if anyone can empathise - I had never been that person - whoever that person is.. I then took the decision to moderate post - final lockdown. Had a couple of blowouts through May and June then completely reigned myself in again 4 weeks before my due medical. I was supplementing everyday for those 4 weeks (and advice on here) with milk thistle, spirulina; a Vit C high strength effervescent tablet and a women's multi-vit. I was trying to drink alcohol-free, plenty of water and the odd Bud. I went to a wedding (close family) 2 weeks into my abstinence and had a glass and a 1/2 prosecco during the toasts; a very small glass of white wine and then about 4 hours late at night a bottle of Peroni. I was really paranoid this could raise my levels.

I have found out today after my medical (early July) that my CDT was 0.8%. It is for me a HUGE relief. It's almost like the licence reissued is small in comparison for what the CDT result reflects. I believe this was the most stressful time of my life and a waiting game for which I am very, very lucky I have been dealt with pretty quickly given the Covid situ and strain on the DVLA.

And I am very grateful to all of the people that have supported me throughout that split second decision.. You really find out who your true friends are. And I will never make the same mistake again ever. I have purchased a breathalyser to check - in case (not that I intend to ever use it); fully realise the luxury and privilege of being able to drive, necessity of chaperoning my kids. about after 2 winters on foot/train, seriousness of my mistake, acknowledgement of where I was when I messed up. I don't drink like I was. I won't ever again. I never respected alcohol and now I do..

And all of the people on here who have replied and privately messaged me - thank you so much.

No one can ever understand how an insane decision can steer the course of your path and the detrimental mental effects/trauma that follow. Please PM me if you need to or are struggling - this forum has become part of my daily life. I will never forget the people who have helped me on here..

And now I move on to the Insurance posts. Eek. Good luck to all that unfortunately have to work though all of this.... I hope my post helps one of you ...
curious , how did you find out your CDT result ?

Hi
I think we can take it as a given, that as HROs, the DVLA will contact our GPs
At the end of my ban, I was informed of this after my DVLA Medical. As a HRO classified as an abuser, my cdt was 0.3 so no real concerns, and I answered all the questions with an honest no.
When I applied for my second license the DVLA wrote to my GP before I received any information about the DVLA Medical.
I think keeping in touch with our GPs and making sure they are fully updated, and know in advance that they will be contacted by the DVLA is generally helpful, as is having a conversation with them about the responses on the forms they fill out. Also a good idea to take a photo of the forms that we forward to the DVLA…to ensure that there isn’t even a slight difference in what we put on the forms and what we discuss with our GPs. Any minor differences could cause problems….as has been stated on this site, it’s about integrity.
Good luck everyone, Jane
So even with a CDT reading of 0.30% they still contacted your GP.

My private reading was 0.20% and I don't expect the DVLA one to be any higher so I was kind of hoping that they would not contact my GP. I did speak with him last week though just to clarify things and I said the DVLA might be in touch.

He was very supportive. asked me when I'd last had a drink and went through what was in my notes re alcohol. Now here is something that surprised me. In 2014 another GP said I was alcohol dependent. I lost my licence in 2017 and re-applied in 2019 for it to be returned, which it was even after they had written to my GP who presumably told them I was classified as alcohol dependent (despite never having been hospitalised for any alcohol related illnesses.)

Hi, I have received this email from Tim burton. Does this mean I have passed?:

Dear Miss

We have received the result of your CDT test. However, we are still waiting for the report that accompanies that test.

As soon as we receive the report I have asked that one of my Doctors reviews your application and makes a licensing recommendation.

Yours sincerely,
Tim

Hi, I have received this email from Tim burton. Does this mean I have passed?:

Dear Miss

We have received the result of your CDT test. However, we are still waiting for the report that accompanies that test.

As soon as we receive the report I have asked that one of my Doctors reviews your application and makes a licensing recommendation.

Yours sincerely,
Tim
It means what it says, that for some reason they don't seem to have the form that the lab needs to send back with the test results. I don't think there's much you can personally do about that as you will not have access to anyone at the lab. It is up to them to chase it up.

Hi
Please can I have some advise how long would you not drink for before your medical test??
Hi Chris,

Waiting on my medical results from 2 days ago. I stopped drinking 37 days before.

One question in the medical "when did you have your last drink?"

I must say, it gave me great confidence that I had not had a drink in a month.

Hope to give you positive news on how this helped in the not-too-distant future.

Elsoal

Hello
My licence was issued about a month ago, but I never received my CDT results?! Does anyone know how I go about getting them, is there an email address?

Hi Chris,

Waiting on my medical results from 2 days ago. I stopped drinking 37 days before.

One question in the medical "when did you have your last drink?"

I must say, it gave me great confidence that I had not had a drink in a month.

Hope to give you positive news on how this helped in the not-too-distant future.

Elsoal
I’ve not booked it yet will you let me know how you get on please did you drink much before you stopped ?

Does anyone know who I contact to obtain my CDT results? Licence has been issued, but never got the results

Abigailjay

You will need to make a Subject Access Request (SAR) to the DVLA. They normally take about 4-6 weeks to respond via a standard letter through the post.

CJ

Does anyone know who I contact to obtain my CDT results? Licence has been issued, but never got the results
Mine came just after the licence, and in that letter they said they had also sent results to my GP. I don’t know if informing the GP is standard practice, or whether it was because in my case they had made enquiries of them.

I just received the results of my CDT score from my Subject Access Request to the DVLA on the 21st November 2021. It took almost exactly 4 weeks.

My Medichecks result was 0.20% and the DVLA result was 0.30%, which is fairly similiar.

Details were;

Date Sampled: 30/09/2021
Date Received: 02/10/2021
Date Reviewed: 05/10/2021
Date Reported: 05/10/2021

It then took the DVLA until the 16th of November to write to my GP for additional information.

As of last week my GP still hadn't returned the form to the DVLA.

I just received the results of my CDT score from my Subject Access Request to the DVLA on the 21st November 2021. It took almost exactly 4 weeks.

My Medichecks result was 0.20% and the DVLA result was 0.30%, which is fairly similiar.

Details were;

Date Sampled: 30/09/2021
Date Received: 02/10/2021
Date Reviewed: 05/10/2021
Date Reported: 05/10/2021

It then took the DVLA until the 16th of November to write to my GP for additional information.

As of last week my GP still hadn't returned the form to the DVLA.
Hi Luna, how did you do the subject access request, is this on email or by post?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off