DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Thanks Luna but. I think it is a bit sever if they punish me further by six months , if they had of got there finger out instead of waiting till 1 October to contact my doctor from medical on 17 May this would not of happened and it is not as if I am driving as they have my licence although my ban was up on the 8 May.

Yes
I understand what you are saying Luna but I think it is a bit unfair as I passed the cdt test in May 0.8 I was not told results till the letter saying I can not drive my ban was up on the 8 May as you can see I am being penalised for being honest
I had a private CDT test in July and my reading was only 0.20%.

You need to remember that the CDT test only gives an indication of what you have been drinking over the last 'few' weeks. (probably around 6-8 weeks.)

Even though you are not an alcoholic, the DVLA have probably classified you as a misuser based on information from you and your GP that you seem to regularly drink more than 30 units per week.

I know it's not fair, but the person assessing your fitness to drive will have been told to err on the side of caution.

It seems as well that the DVLA may have toughened up there rules recently.

This is my second offence. My first ban ended at the end of 2018. I got my licence back in March 2019 and lost it again in July 2019. I called my GP last week and had a discussion with him regarding the DVLA report as I knew they would write to him and surprisingly he told me I had been classified by them as dependant in 2014, which to be honest I probably was at that time. I assume they told the DVLA this in 2019 but I still got my licence back.

I have now been sober for 27 months and my GP knows this although I have not had any LFT's carried out by them. A private LFT in July showed no problems.

I will call again tomorrow and speak with him re the possibility of coming into the practice and sitting with him while he completes the form.

Hi again I didn’t know they had wrote to my Doctor till I got the letter saying not to drive and on the web site I had no licence entitlemen. I was not called in to be questioned or asked any questions it was all done without my knowledge.

Hi again I didn’t know they had wrote to my Doctor till I got the letter saying not to drive and on the web site I had no licence entitlemen. I was not called in to be questioned or asked any questions it was all done without my knowledge.
I know. They don't 'call you in for a discussion.' It is all done on the basis of box ticking and reports from people that don't really know you.

That's why it often pays to be pro-active.

Have you appealed the decision? (sorry if I missed that.)

Yes I emailed the complaints team also Julie Lennard the ceo all I got was the usual we are busy we will contact you within 10 working days, do not reply or contact us in writing,not holding any hopes for 10 working days. So what happens now how do I prove to the DVLA I am not exceeding the recommended 14 units per week, how often can you have a LFT test

Hi, was the advisor aware that you were coming through via this number and not the expected and public number for the medical section?
Were they OK with this?
Thanks
They didn't know the difference from what they asked me, exactly the same as calling the main number.

I’ve just called it now, got through in a couple of minutes. They’ve scanned my application in on 17/11/21 it was delivered to them on the 3/9/21 so 11th week and still no medical letter. It’s painful.

Hi all ,
Had appointment with Doctor as to why he put me down as alcohol misuse, apparently when I had a routine blood test with the nurse for a b12 injection she. asked me the usual questions about my health and how much do I drink I said I had been away for 4 days playing golf with 20 friends so I said probably about 30 drinks in all. A few weeks later I went for the last of my injections but saw a different nurse she asked the same questions I said I had drank about 10 drinks over the weekend as I was on a stag do in London . So since then I have had a blood test for alcohol as I only drink up to 14 units a week now when the nurse who was doing the blood test asked why I was having the test I told her the story she was gobsmacked as she said if she was tested on a Sunday after going out with her daughters she would have had over 14 units. I have contacted dvla again by e mail and included the ceo got the usual email back we will be in touch by 19 working days so what does Price or big Tom think will happen
I think that unfortunately you are stuffed. You told the GP's that you had drank in a manner that would be classed as misuse twice within a couple of weeks. Unfortunate probably because of the timing of the two social events, but the GP cannot go back on what you have told them and have reported what you have told them. As far as they are aware, this is a regular occurrence and you drink excessively on many occasions.

You didn't 'pass' the CDT test just because you got 0.8, the CDT is only 1 of the measures that they use. Your responses to the questionnaire and the GP's response are also important and along with any other information they have from any other agencies, this is how they make their decisions.

I don't think DVLA have any options other than to keep the misuse classification and demand that you drink within guidelines (or preferably abstain fully) for at least 6 months. You really need to keep the GP on board, ensure that they are aware of your drinking habits being within guidelines (14 units in a week, with no more than 6 units in 1 sitting). Get a LFT done now, and another in a couple of months so when they write to your GP again in 6 months, your history is up to date.

DVLA's way of thinking is that if someone is due a medical after a DD ban, they really should not be drinking excessively - after all, a driving licence is a privilege not a given right.

I’ve heard people say 10 weeks and 11 weeks to wait for the medical letter. Had anyone waited longer? I was hoping now that the strikes were over that the waiting times would go down not up.

I’ve just called it now, got through in a couple of minutes. They’ve scanned my application in on 17/11/21 it was delivered to them on the 3/9/21 so 11th week and still no medical letter. It’s painful.
Mines was received by medical department on 10th August and still no word of medical either.
15 weeks.

I’ve heard people say 10 weeks and 11 weeks to wait for the medical letter. Had anyone waited longer? I was hoping now that the strikes were over that the waiting times would go down not up.
Here's my timescale so far. It took 8 weeks to get a letter for my medical.

ACTIONDAYSCOMMENT
Licence Applied For
15/07/2021​
Application form Rec'd from DVLA
27/07/2021​
Called
24/08/2021​
Cheque Cashed
31/08/2021​
Called
03/09/2021​
Medical Letter Received
14/09/2021​
Medical
30/09/2021​
Driving Ban Ends
12/10/2021​
89Date when my driving ban ended.
Called
19/10/2021​
96Told by handler that everything had been received and was with medical section
Called
12/11/2021​
120Told the CDT DR1 form was missing and that Doctor had been contacted - 1.5 hour call
Called Doctor - Glasgow Medical Rooms
12/11/2021​
120They sent everything back on the 30th Sept stapled together. They have received NO communication from DVLA regarding missing forms
Called DVLA again
13/11/2021​
121Told that 'everything was in hand' and I would be contacted asap. No idea what that means or where this leaves myself.
Called Doctor to see if DVLA had been in touch with them.
17/11/2021​
125No contact from DVLA but was told that they had a copy of my form on file and they would Fax it to DVLA today. This is contrary to what they told me last week when they sadi they do not retain copies. This info could have been faxed on the 12/22/2021. Not happy.
Letter from DVLA dated 16/11/2021
19/11/2021​
127Received a letter from DVLA dated the 16th November saying they now had all the information from the Dr. who carried out my DVLA medical and that they had written to my GP for additional health info. Strange that when I called on the 12th November I was told the CDT DR1 from was missing and it was only on the 17th November that Dr. faxed it to the DVLA again. Someone, somewhere is telling porkies.

Here's my timescale so far. It took 8 weeks to get a letter for my medical.

ACTIONDAYSCOMMENT
Licence Applied For
15/07/2021​
Application form Rec'd from DVLA
27/07/2021​
Called
24/08/2021​
Cheque Cashed
31/08/2021​
Called
03/09/2021​
Medical Letter Received
14/09/2021​
Medical
30/09/2021​
Driving Ban Ends
12/10/2021​
89Date when my driving ban ended.
Called
19/10/2021​
96Told by handler that everything had been received and was with medical section
Called
12/11/2021​
120Told the CDT DR1 form was missing and that Doctor had been contacted - 1.5 hour call
Called Doctor - Glasgow Medical Rooms
12/11/2021​
120They sent everything back on the 30th Sept stapled together. They have received NO communication from DVLA regarding missing forms
Called DVLA again
13/11/2021​
121Told that 'everything was in hand' and I would be contacted asap. No idea what that means or where this leaves myself.
Called Doctor to see if DVLA had been in touch with them.
17/11/2021​
125No contact from DVLA but was told that they had a copy of my form on file and they would Fax it to DVLA today. This is contrary to what they told me last week when they sadi they do not retain copies. This info could have been faxed on the 12/22/2021. Not happy.
Letter from DVLA dated 16/11/2021
19/11/2021​
127Received a letter from DVLA dated the 16th November saying they now had all the information from the Dr. who carried out my DVLA medical and that they had written to my GP for additional health info. Strange that when I called on the 12th November I was told the CDT DR1 from was missing and it was only on the 17th November that Dr. faxed it to the DVLA again. Someone, somewhere is telling porkies.
My ban ended the same day as yours but I applied 6 weeks later, I stupidly didn’t realise it was going to take 6 plus months. Seems the timeframes are getting worse not better, called yesterday and no letter sent so it’ll be at least 12 weeks by the time I receive the medical letter.

My ban ended the same day as yours but I applied 6 weeks later, I stupidly didn’t realise it was going to take 6 plus months. Seems the timeframes are getting worse not better, called yesterday and no letter sent so it’ll be at least 12 weeks by the time I receive the medical letter.
I know. And there is nothing you can do about it. All it takes is for someone in the DVLA to go off sick and your application could sit there untouched until they get back.

Hi Tom thanks for that I am at the mercy of the DVLA, as I said previous I was unaware the DVLA had wrote to my GP the only thing I can do is wait until they contact me and go from there, but as I’ve said I only touch alcohol at weekend and stick to the 14 units

Hi Tom thanks for that I am at the mercy of the DVLA, as I said previous I was unaware the DVLA had wrote to my GP the only thing I can do is wait until they contact me and go from there, but as I’ve said I only touch alcohol at weekend and stick to the 14 units
You just need to be careful. The questionnaire specifically asks how many times in the last year you have drank over 6 units in 1 sitting. If you are having 7 units Friday, and then 7 on Saturday your answer would be 104 times! They would not issue your licence if you said that. Perhaps think that you want a drink but need your licence and make a decision based on that!

Hi I was never present when the form was filled in I had only met the Doctor once before and that was only for a injection, the only words asked was am I feeling ok jab done get out, so he does not know anything about me as he is part time as I have found out. So unfair.

I called my GP yesterday in the hope I could discuss the form with them. I got through to and admin 'gatekeeper' who was actually okay. She told me that only one or two Doctors in the practice complete the forms for return, and they do it out with their normal duties i.e. when they have the time. She also said they have a backlog and when I asked if I could come and sit with the GP when he competed they form, was told no. They would simply do it from medical reports they hold.

I called my GP yesterday in the hope I could discuss the form with them. I got through to and admin 'gatekeeper' who was actually okay. She told me that only one or two Doctors in the practice complete the forms for return, and they do it out with their normal duties i.e. when they have the time. She also said they have a backlog and when I asked if I could come and sit with the GP when he competed they form, was told no. They would simply do it from medical reports they hold.

It seems it varies greatly between different GP practices. I’m fortunate and a GP rang me to complete both last years initial form and this years renewal. Seems unfair you can’t do it on an appointment with him. I would get an appointment anyway and make sure they are completely aware of your situation and drinking habits etc.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off