I will finish my course this Sat on 06 Nov 21, disqualified until 10 Jul 2022.

Convicted Driver Insurance

TimTom

Hello,
What (and when) exactly I should do to get my licence ASAP?
I have to pick up some paperwork from Post Office, but that's all I know.

My ban was for 16 months, does it mean I can get my licence back 6 months earlier (10 July 22) on 10th of January 22?

Slow up!
You say the last day of your course is this saturday. The course provider should tell you in the last day what the process is for applying for your licence back (certainly we do at TTC)
But your dates are confusing.Looking back through your threads, you have mentioned being disqualified for 16 months, reduced to 12 with the course. That sounds right for your reading of 51 as it is within the guidelines.
But now you are saying about getting your licence back 6 months earlier, mentioning the ban was going to end in July, with a 5 month reduction where you can get it back in January…… (which cannot happen from what you have described)

Work out when you were banned
How much reduction you were given for completing the course. That is the date that your ban ends.
56 days before the ban ends, you can submit your application, either with a D27 form that DVLA send you or a D1 from the post office.
Your application may not be completed during the 56 days. If it isn’t, and DVLA have received your completed and correct application (get a proof of posting when you send the form, and check to see when your cheque / postal order has been cashed, AND you have checked with your GP that they have no objections to you resuming driving, then you may be able to drive under what is called S88 whilst they consider and process your application.

Slow up!
You say the last day of your course is this saturday. The course provider should tell you in the last day what the process is for applying for your licence back (certainly we do at TTC)
But your dates are confusing.Looking back through your threads, you have mentioned being disqualified for 16 months, reduced to 12 with the course. That sounds right for your reading of 51 as it is within the guidelines.
But now you are saying about getting your licence back 6 months earlier, mentioning the ban was going to end in July, with a 5 month reduction where you can get it back in January…… (which cannot happen from what you have described)

Work out when you were banned
How much reduction you were given for completing the course. That is the date that your ban ends.
56 days before the ban ends, you can submit your application, either with a D27 form that DVLA send you or a D1 from the post office.
Your application may not be completed during the 56 days. If it isn’t, and DVLA have received your completed and correct application (get a proof of posting when you send the form, and check to see when your cheque / postal order has been cashed, AND you have checked with your GP that they have no objections to you resuming driving, then you may be able to drive under what is called S88 whilst they consider and process your application.
Thank you for quick response.
It's just what I've heard- that course cuts 6 months off driving ban. Not sure about anything and that's why I am asking on this forum.

I checked it all today.

GOV.UK is showing:
Licence details:
Driving status You are disqualified until 10 Jul 2022

Court papers say:
ORDER: The court has disqualified you from driving for 16 months.

These are details I know.

The obvious thing is I want to get my driving licence ASAP.
And I am not sure when exactly should I apply.

Last edited:
Thank you for quick response.
It's just what I've heard- that course cuts 6 months off driving ban. Not sure about anything and that's why I am asking on this forum.

I checked it all today.

GOV.UK is showing:
Licence details:
Driving status You are disqualified until 10 Jul 2022

Court papers say:
ORDER: The court has disqualified you from driving for 16 months.

These are details I know.

The obvious thing is I want to get my driving licence ASAP.
And I am not sure when exactly should I apply.

Tim

There is a bit of a process to get the reduction confirmed.

Once you have completed the course on Saturday, the course trainer will need to send the completion list to the TTC offices in Telford.

From there, the admin people at Telford have to contact each respective court who banned their course candidates. This is to notify the court clerk that the defendant has completed the reduction course.

The court clerk then has to rubber stamp and sign their own paperwork which is then sent to the DVLA in Swansea to acknowledge and make the necessary ammendments to your disqualification period.

You can access your driving licence and ban details on the GOV.UK website and this will eventually be ammended to reflect the new date of expiry.

Because of the time scale this process takes, it won't be completely updated for several weeks, but it will be done in ample time for you to benefit from the reduction.

CJ

So if you were given 4 months off (some people only get 16 weeks, not 4 months, check what the court offered) then your ban ends on 10th March, not January or February.
You can apply for your licence back no earlier than 56 days before the ban ends, I make that 13th January.
You submit your application, then, as I said before, so long as DVLA have received your complete and correct application, and your GP is happy for you to resume driving, you can, if you have not got your licence back by 10th March, drive under S88 whilst you wait for the licence.
but you CANNOT drive before 10th March under any circumstances!

Thank you for all responses.
So after completing the course my ban will end in March.
Do I need any GP checks?
I blew 51 microgrammes, I am not HRO and age just over 40- I thought I didn't need any medical checks?

Nothing has been said about medical checks before you get your licence back. You are NOT a HRO.
BUT, if your application is not processed before the date your ban ends, and you want to drive before you get your licence back under s88, one of the requirements is that your GP has no issues with you resuming driving, so you need to check that with the GP, It is not a “medical check” as in a thorough medical that HRO’s have to have, including a CDT test, just confirmation that he / she has no issues with you driving.

You pay £65. The £90 is for those who have to complete the DVLA medical. Remember I indicated before that 13th January is the earliest that you can apply.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off