DVLA Medical High Risk Offender Licence Application Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi just looking to see what the time scale is roughly from when you send your form away to when you can do your medical? Sending my form to dvla tomorrow and hoping to get the medical out the way before Christmas, cheers

Hi just looking to see what the time scale is roughly from when you send your form away to when you can do your medical? Sending my form to dvla tomorrow and hoping to get the medical out the way before Christmas, cheers
Mine took 11 weeks from sending off to getting the medical form. 2 weeks later I had the medical.

Cheers maybe a while to go then. Hoping a month or so off the drink will be enough to pass it
Depends how much you drink, but the longer the better. Hopefully it doesn’t take that long to get the medical. But if it does just think one Christmas without booze to get your license back.
Also be mindful of the fact they may contact your GP to see if you have any previous history of alcohol problems.
Im on week 25 since sending the form off, still don’t have my license back.

So it will be a temporary license if I get it back?
Your story really baffles me. I really hope you do get your license back, the DVLA have really messed up your application process and the stress it must have caused you has been so unnecessary.

I’m just a little confused. Even if your drinking got moved from dependence to misuse you still unfortunately haven’t displayed 6 months controlled drinking and your GP has stated you drank 20 units in one session in June. With no LFT’s or proof of anything, It just doesn’t match with how others have got their licenses back.

I mean all of this in the nicest possible way. I do seriously hope this is resolved for you and I you have not deserved to be messed around like this.

Jessica

As a HRO if you have declared any medical issues, particularly surrounding alcohol and the GP discloses any historic info from your case history - the DVLA will only give you a temporary licence in your first year (post the ban). That can be certain as night follows day!

Some HRO's do get 5 or 10 year licences after their DUI ban, but these people are the ones with a 'clean' medical history, with no declarable issues with alcohol.

I like to think that the 12 month temporary licence is almost like a 'probation' period, where we have to go through the DVLA medical gauntlet, a year later.

As time rolls on, you should eventually secure a longer licence from the DVLA. I'm just approaching the end of my 12 month temporary licence, with a second DVLA medical on the horizon.

I am keeping my fingers crossed I get maybe a three year licence this time around, but who knows?

CJ

Jessica

As a HRO if you have declared any medical issues, particularly surrounding alcohol and the GP discloses any historic info from your case history - the DVLA will only give you a temporary licence in your first year (post the ban). That can be certain as night follows day!

Some HRO's do get 5 or 10 year licences after their DUI ban, but these people are the ones with a 'clean' medical history, with no declarable issues with alcohol.

I like to think that the 12 month temporary licence is almost like a 'probation' period, where we have to go through the DVLA medical gauntlet, a year later.

As time rolls on, you should eventually secure a longer licence from the DVLA. I'm just approaching the end of my 12 month temporary licence, with a second DVLA medical on the horizon.

I am keeping my fingers crossed I get maybe a three year licence this time around, but who knows?

CJ
Ok, so I'll need another medical if my application is accepted and then another when the 12 months is up?
The letter just Said that my doctor had sent new information since their decision was made that I was unfit to drive, but I've no idea what this information is! I sent a letter to my doctor explaining why I MISUSED alcohol, but I only emailed it across the beginning of this week so it can't be that?

Ok, so I'll need another medical if my application is accepted and then another when the 12 months is up?
The letter just Said that my doctor had sent new information since their decision was made that I was unfit to drive, but I've no idea what this information is! I sent a letter to my doctor explaining why I MISUSED alcohol, but I only emailed it across the beginning of this week so it can't be that?

Jessica

I can't speak for your own personal circumstances, but if there has been alcohol problems highlighted in the past, you will inevitably be looking at a 12 month temporary licence to begin with.

Fast forward 12 months and you will have to go through the same cycle again - DVLA medical and the DVLA writing to your GP.

Even though the DVLA already have your medical history on their own records, they still write to your GP again one year later to determine if there are any 'new' issues to identify in the intervening 12 months.

The High Risk Offender process lasts for around six years from the end of the DUI ban. If you are very unlucky, you will have to ensure 6 x 12 month licences, with 6 DVLA medicals inbetween.

It is very rare for this to happen. As I said most people who have disclosed alcohol problems in the past will do 12 months on a temporary licence, then come the second year there is a strong chance of a slightly longer licence once they pass the second medical.

The good thing about reaching the end of the first year on a temporary licence - is Section 88. This means your don't necessarily have to be waiting on a tender hooks for the DVLA and your GP to get their act together.

The most painful experience everyone on this forum goes through is reaching the end of their DUI ban and being kept waiting for weeks/months while the wheels of the medical process slowly turn.

CJ

Jessica

I can't speak for your own personal circumstances, but if there has been alcohol problems highlighted in the past, you will inevitably be looking at a 12 month temporary licence to begin with.

Fast forward 12 months and you will have to go through the same cycle again - DVLA medical and the DVLA writing to your GP.

Even though the DVLA already have your medical history on their own records, they still write to your GP again one year later to determine if there are any 'new' issues to identify in the intervening 12 months.

The High Risk Offender process lasts for around six years from the end of the DUI ban. If you are very unlucky, you will have to ensure 6 x 12 month licences, with 6 DVLA medicals inbetween.

It is very rare for this to happen. As I said most people who have disclosed alcohol problems in the past will do 12 months on a temporary licence, then come the second year there is a strong chance of a slightly longer licence once they pass the second medical.

The good thing about reaching the end of the first year on a temporary licence - is Section 88. This means your don't necessarily have to be waiting on a tender hooks for the DVLA and your GP to get their act together.

The most painful experience everyone on this forum goes through is reaching the end of their DUI ban and being kept waiting for weeks/months while the wheels of the medical process slowly turn.

CJ
Oh ok, so I won't have another medical now, just when the 12 months is up? They gave me my full licence back before revoking it. Nothing seems to be straightforward on my life, I think I'm just one of them people 😬 but at least there is some light shining through at last

Reactions: RSC
More than likely yes. Most people who are previously classed as misusers or dependent will be issued a 1 year 'medical' licence. This means that after a year, you have to go through the DVLA medical again and GP being contacted etc. There is no cost to this however, DVLA need to ensure that previous offenders are not being drawn back into their old ways so they pay the fees.

Medical licences for DD cases are generally issued annually for up to 6 years (some report they have had them for longer). Some people get a 3 year licence, others the full 10 years, but generally at least for a couple of years it is a 1 year licence.

Remember though, once you have been issued a medical licence, at the end of its' validity, as long as you reapply correctly and the GP is fine for you to be driving, you can continue driving under Section 88 until DVLA carry out their medical enquiries and either issue you a new licence, or revoke you.

Hi folks,

Just wanted to provide some information on the timeline (at least in my case) from when I applied for my driving licence until I received it. I am a high risk offender so needed to go for a medical also.

9th August
Sent driving licence application off in the post with a cheque for relevant amount (£96 if i remember correctly)

1st September
Cheque cleared

10th September
Received letter from DVLA informing me of the doctors details I needed to make an appointment with for my medical and that I had 21 days to make an appointment. Had a reply slip with pre-paid envelope I had to fill out and return to DVLA once I had booked the appointment, this was to inform them of the time and date of said appointment.

22nd September
This was the date of my medical. Was pretty straightforward really. Gave a urine sample and a blood sample which a nurse took. I then seen the doctor who asked me questions about my drinking habits, took my blood pressure etc

11th October
Driving licence arrived in the post, YES!!! :D

I completely stopped drinking for 6 weeks leading up to the medical. I dont drink that regularly anyway, was just being safe rather than sorry. I was however worried as I had been taking a lot of ibuprofen and co-codamol in the weeks leading up to the medical due to a foot sprain and had read that this could lead to elevated liver enzymes. Looks like I was worrying needlessly anyway.

Well thats it folks, the whole sorry and stressful mess finally completely and utterly over with :D:D:D:D

Hope this info proves helpful to some one, good luck to everyone in a similar position.

P.S: This web site has been a great help
Hi, quick question. Did you have to sit all the tests again?

Hi, quick question. Did you have to sit all the tests again?

Only if the judge orders you to retake your test at court. This is not the norm in England/Scotland/Wales but it is the standard in Northern Ireland, everyone in Northern Ireland must retake their test when banned.

More than likely yes. Most people who are previously classed as misusers or dependent will be issued a 1 year 'medical' licence. This means that after a year, you have to go through the DVLA medical again and GP being contacted etc. There is no cost to this however, DVLA need to ensure that previous offenders are not being drawn back into their old ways so they pay the fees.

Medical licences for DD cases are generally issued annually for up to 6 years (some report they have had them for longer). Some people get a 3 year licence, others the full 10 years, but generally at least for a couple of years it is a 1 year licence.

Remember though, once you have been issued a medical licence, at the end of its' validity, as long as you reapply correctly and the GP is fine for you to be driving, you can continue driving under Section 88 until DVLA carry out their medical enquiries and either issue you a new licence, or revoke you.
Is the section 88 process as long as the first time ? or can we not really answer that due to the "backlog" and strikes etc. I wonder how long this process would have taken prior to covid

I was exactly 120days from posting the form and fee until the medical. and that medical was on 24 sept...... still waiting

And today it’s been updated to a full
License until Nov 2022.
so the full Timeline.

Background

28th November 2019 charged with DR30/AC10

12th February 2020 Court date banned for 12 months

12th February 2021 Ban ends

Due to finances and losing my part time job due to COVID I waited a few months to reapply

The Process.

26th April Application send off

2nd July Medical letter arrives

19th July Medical

27th September DVLA letter informing me they are contacting my GP.

5th October LFT and filled out form with GP

8th October GP sends off medical questionnaire

6th November 1 year license issued.

Total time banned by the courts:52 weeks

Total time taken for DVLA to progress the application: 28 weeks.

And today it’s been updated to a full
License until Nov 2022.
so the full Timeline.

Background

28th November 2019 charged with DR30/AC10

12th February 2020 Court date banned for 12 months

12th February 2021 Ban ends

Due to finances and losing my part time job due to COVID I waited a few months to reapply

The Process.

26th April Application send off

2nd July Medical letter arrives

19th July Medical

27th September DVLA letter informing me they are contacting my GP.

5th October LFT and filled out form with GP

8th October GP sends off medical questionnaire

6th November 1 year license issued.

Total time banned by the courts:52 weeks

Total time taken for DVLA to progress the application: 28 weeks.
Excellent news … it gives me hope . You must be over the moon !!🥳🥳🥳

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off