DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
I hope no-one minds if I touch base here.

My current 12 month driving licence expires on the 21st January 2022. I will have to do a second HRO medical with a view to getting my next driving licence.

I am sending off my D1 on Monday (25th), so it just sits under the 90 day application period.

Does anyone know what type of time scale I am looking at to do my next medical?

Realistically, I should be doing my second medical before the end of this year, but I have a sneaking feeling I could be waiting until the Spring of 2022 before I am summonsed to see the DVLA doctor.

Anyone got any ideas about how long the wait time current stands at?

CJ
CJ

Sent my forms back in April for my renewal in July, still not got my medical arranged so driving under Section 88....

Think it all depends on the circumstances, My GP was written to in July, and then again in September. They said they replied on both occasions but DVLA are being pretty obstructive/denying everything...

Might just be my situation, but who knows????

Tom

CJ

Sent my forms back in April for my renewal in July, still not got my medical arranged so driving under Section 88....

Think it all depends on the circumstances, My GP was written to in July, and then again in September. They said they replied on both occasions but DVLA are being pretty obstructive/denying everything...

Might just be my situation, but who knows????

Tom

Big Tom

Has your GP replied via e-mail or through the traditional Royal Mail?

Has July's correspondence gone adrift?

I am always very cagey about any sensitive information about our medical history getting lost in the post.

CJ

Big Tom

Has your GP replied via e-mail or through the traditional Royal Mail?

Has July's correspondence gone adrift?

I am always very cagey about any sensitive information about our medical history getting lost in the post.

CJ
I presume they responded through the post. No idea what happened with the July forms, more than likely sitting in a box in Swansea waiting to be opened.

Things seem to be getting worse not better at the DVLA
Yup, I was a tiny bit more optimistic (for a couple of weeks) but from some recent posts I've read it does seem that way.
Here's hoping that the new ballot will not result in more strike action but I'm not holding out much hope, particularly given the Covid situation.
My application has been with them since March 10th and no word yet of possible medical. If it is looked at this week it'll probably be spring before its issued at least.
Shambles really.

Yup, I was a tiny bit more optimistic (for a couple of weeks) but from some recent posts I've read it does seem that way.
Here's hoping that the new ballot will not result in more strike action but I'm not holding out much hope, particularly given the Covid situation.
My application has been with them since March 10th and no word yet of possible medical. If it is looked at this week it'll probably be spring before its issued at least.
Shambles really.
Have you chased this up? How long has it been with the medical team?

Have you chased this up? How long has it been with the medical team?
Hi, It's been with the medical team since 10th August, confirmed by advisor on September 1st.
Didnt seem much point in chasing up as there's nothing they can do.
The online licence updates were updated yesterday and are showing they are looking at licences from 16th August which would (surely??) mean it was looked at last week when they were looking at them from 9th August onwards.
The difficulty is that the online delay sections do not show the medical department individually - only the paper applications and photocards.
I also applied for a new licence and photocards on the same day as sending my info to the medical department.
I assume that the medical department will need to make a decision and then contact the licensing department who would then issue licence though if according to the dates above the licencing department have checked mine then perhaps they will contact the medical department - confusing and tangled or what?
So, 11 weeks today it's been with medical department.

Hi all ,
Sorry if it sounds like a moaning I was convicted 2 Dec 19 got 23 months ban
Ban was up 5 May
medical 17 May
20 May dvla received medical reports
18 September they wrote to my Doctor
1 October Doctor received forms
Today on view your licence website it says I do not have any current Driving Entitlement
rang at 9 to be told a letter was sent yesterday saying they have refused my licence due to me being alcohol dependant ,it’s the first I have heard it I have never been to the doctors over alcholhol in fact I very rarely go to the doctors. Any one have any answers and what can I do next to get my licence back

Hi all ,
Ban was up 5 May
medical 17 May
Today on view your licence website it says I do not have any current Driving Entitlement
rang at 9 to be told a letter was sent yesterday saying they have refused my licence due to me being alcohol dependant ,it’s the first I have heard it I have never been to the doctors over alcholhol in fact I very rarely go to the doctors. Any one have any answers and what can I do next to get my licence back
Sorry to hear about that!
If you doctors have never been informed of your drinking habits they may have not been able to answer some of those questions in a way that would help your case.
See if you can contact your doctor to speak to them about what was written and your current drinking habits.
Do you drink ? Did the DVLA give you your CDT results?
If they have classed you as dependent then they require you to be abstinent for 12 months with LFT’s from your GP every 3 months.

I do drink a can or two when watching sport on the telly, the dvla has not given me any results, the lady I spoke to earlier said there was a letter posted yesterday so maybe results in that I will contact my doctor with the letter to see if there is any thing that can be done. This has been going on since the 1 March when I applied to get my licence back, e mailed ceo three times wonder if I am being victimised?

I do drink a can or two when watching sport on the telly, the dvla has not given me any results, the lady I spoke to earlier said there was a letter posted yesterday so maybe results in that I will contact my doctor with the letter to see if there is any thing that can be done. This has been going on since the 1 March when I applied to get my licence back, e mailed ceo three times wonder if I am being victimised?
That’s fair enough, I doubt your CDT was high. And if it was then they wouldn’t have bothered contacting your GP.
If you answered the questionnaire at the medical and said you drink within guidelines and don’t exceed 6 units in one sitting then it must have been what your GP said.
You are not being victimised for complaining. It’s just a shit system.

Hi all ,
Ban was up 5 May
medical 17 May
Unfortunately you have been classed as dependent due to some information that the DVLA has received. It may be that your questionnaire, the CDT results and your GP report indicate that they think you are showing signs of dependence. It may be that there are contradictions between what is being said and what the CDT report is suggesting. Your GP not having seen you will mean that they can not give accurate information, they will say what the situation was when you last saw them - which may not be the case now.

Having the GP on board is always a help, you can ask them to see what they sent to DVLA, you can always request a SAR from DVLA to see what your notes say. If your GP is willing to support you, it may be that DVLA may reverse their decision or at least 'downgrade' you to alcohol abuse.

If they will not change their minds, you will have to remain completely abstinent for at least 12 months and supply proof of this (regular LFT's from the GP is a help with this). If your GP will help you, and they do declare you as a misuser, you have to show at least 6 months of controlled drinking or abstinence. Either way, you need to be speaking to the GP ASAP...

it seems the doctor who is at the practice is a stand in so he has only seen me to give me a injection for B12 difficancy, and then he commented I don’t look my age as I look so well so I am lost as no one has questioned me about drinking or my lifestyle

Hi all I thought I would share my experience with this process

I applied for my paper application the end of June. Received it a week later, I then filled out the application with the £90 fee, I saw that the cheque was cleared on the 26th of July so I’m assuming the had a look at it.
I then received the dreaded letter that I need to book a medical, I done so straight away and the earliest appointment was the 26th of August at 10am. I went to the clinic and answered truthfully all the questions. My last drink was half a bottle of Stinking cheap Glens Vodka the 1st of May and proud I’ve not touched a drop since (you can honestly break the habit!) I waited till the 10 week timescale before ringing the DVLA, this was a nightmare and phoned about 40 thousand times, I got passed to the medical department and I spoke to a Welshman who told me that they have my report but can’t disclose my details over the phone (complete waste of time) I waited a couple more weeks and rang again and the lady said have you not received a letter? I said what letter and she read it out to me, it basically said my Blood had Haemolyzed, I had to google it, nothing wrong on my end, she said that I would need to redo another sample, make another appointment. Basically start over again, no further fee. I phoned straight away and the clinics receptionist said that the doctor is on annual leave for a week, I was frustrated as you can imagaine. She told me to leave a number for him to get back to me. I waited another week and she phoned my wife saying my second appointment was yesterday 25th October. I went yesterday and gave my sample, same questions and the doctor couldn’t be a***d with it. I was told he could retest me as it was a second sample but otherwise I would’ve had to wait until the end of November as he’s extremely busy. Now I’m here waiting again hopefully not too much longer as I don’t want my car to be all rusted away when it’s time to drive it. Thanks for reading my lovely experience and don’t lose faith with the DVLA

Just called the DVLA, actually can’t believe I got through, I went for my medical on the 28th September and they have received all my paper work, and was added to the system on the 7th of October, but still haven’t got to my bloods yet. Due to the backlogs. Soooo frustrating.

Anyone got any advice on the length of time it took between the GP sending off their questionnaire to receiving your license?
Losing my mind with this lengthy process.
About a month. It can take up to 10 working days for the DVLA to upload the response from the GP onto their system.

About a month. It can take up to 10 working days for the DVLA to upload the response from the GP onto their system.
Thank you! The wait is very frustrating. Just want this anxiety out of the way, it’s only been nearly 3 weeks since they sent off the form so could be a week or two till I find out I suppose.

Hi all I thought I would share my experience with this process

I applied for my paper application the end of June. Received it a week later, I then filled out the application with the £90 fee, I saw that the cheque was cleared on the 26th of July so I’m assuming the had a look at it.
I then received the dreaded letter that I need to book a medical, I done so straight away and the earliest appointment was the 26th of August at 10am. I went to the clinic and answered truthfully all the questions. My last drink was half a bottle of Stinking cheap Glens Vodka the 1st of May and proud I’ve not touched a drop since (you can honestly break the habit!) I waited till the 10 week timescale before ringing the DVLA, this was a nightmare and phoned about 40 thousand times, I got passed to the medical department and I spoke to a Welshman who told me that they have my report but can’t disclose my details over the phone (complete waste of time) I waited a couple more weeks and rang again and the lady said have you not received a letter? I said what letter and she read it out to me, it basically said my Blood had Haemolyzed, I had to google it, nothing wrong on my end, she said that I would need to redo another sample, make another appointment. Basically start over again, no further fee. I phoned straight away and the clinics receptionist said that the doctor is on annual leave for a week, I was frustrated as you can imagaine. She told me to leave a number for him to get back to me. I waited another week and she phoned my wife saying my second appointment was yesterday 25th October. I went yesterday and gave my sample, same questions and the doctor couldn’t be a***d with it. I was told he could retest me as it was a second sample but otherwise I would’ve had to wait until the end of November as he’s extremely busy. Now I’m here waiting again hopefully not too much longer as I don’t want my car to be all rusted away when it’s time to drive it. Thanks for reading my lovely experience and don’t lose faith with the DVLA
So if you hadn't called you would still be waiting on a letter telling you that you needed a second blood test?

I mean, that is soo incompetent it's almost funny.

How long does it take to send a letter?

I went to the clinic and answered truthfully all the questions. My last drink was half a bottle of Stinking cheap Glens Vodka the 1st of May and proud I’ve not touched a drop since (you can honestly break the habit!)
You saying you told Doc that your last drink was half a bottle of vodka? 20 units… in one session, 3 months before your medical ?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off