Driving job after conviction

Convicted Driver Insurance

J1THU

Hi,
New to the group.
I was recently convicted of drink driving. Got a 9 month ban and £130 fine. No points.

I hold a PSV license and have been unable to find any employer that will take me on.

Anyone here have any similar experience and if so, how did you get on?

Thanks

Do you mean a 12 month ban with a 3 month reduction if you complete a Drink Drive Rehabilitation course?
Generally, companies will set a maximum of 3 or 6 points on a licence to employ someone as a PSV driver.
But they all either refuse employment to someone with an unspent Drink Drive conviction (so 5 years) or go as far as saying no employment if you have a drink drive conviction “on your licence” (which is visible for 11 years.

I think that it is related to problems with their insurance for a PSV driver with a DR10 or similar.

Do you mean a 12 month ban with a 3 month reduction if you complete a Drink Drive Rehabilitation course?
Generally, companies will set a maximum of 3 or 6 points on a licence to employ someone as a PSV driver.
But they all either refuse employment to someone with an unspent Drink Drive conviction (so 5 years) or go as far as saying no employment if you have a drink drive conviction “on your licence” (which is visible for 11 years.

I think that it is related to problems with their insurance for a PSV driver with a DR10 or similar.
Yes, 12 months reduced to 9 after completing the course, and no points, so license is sort of "clean".
The 9 months finished a year ago but since then I've applied to a few firms and been refused.
Am I right in saying I won't be able to drive a bus for 11 years?

Thanks

Yes, 12 months reduced to 9 after completing the course, and no points, so license is sort of "clean".
The 9 months finished a year ago but since then I've applied to a few firms and been refused.
Am I right in saying I won't be able to drive a bus for 11 years?

Thanks
Your licence is NOT ‘clean’. !! You have to declare the drink driving conviction for 5 years for any job application and is almost certain to be a no-no for driving buses, or minibuses, for that time. For many companies they want a ‘clear driving licence’ and as the DR10 remains on your driving licence record for 11 years then yes, you would not gain employment with them for that period of time.
What is supposed to happen is that when you seek employment, you get a code generated by DVLA and give that to the firm that you want to work for. They run that code and it shows unspent convictions, so after 5 years it shows up as clear.

What actually happens is that the firm offer you a job, get tour personal details including national insurance number and then run that through the online checker. Because your national insurance number and date of birth have been inputted, the system thinks that it is you that are checking for yourself, and therefore it is treated as a request: “have I got anything recorded on MY licence” and it reports any drink drive convictions in the past 11 years. (11 years is the time it is retained for sentencing purposes for ‘2 offences in 10 years = min 3 year ban)
The firm will have asked you ‘do you have a CLEAN licence?’ And you said “no” …. But that is not true. You should have been up front about it, but done your homework to see what their stance is on a ‘spent’ drink drive conviction is on gaining employment.

So the answer to your question is that you will not be able to drive a bus for 5 years, and quite possibly for 11 years. Those times run from the date of your conviction in court.

Your licence is NOT ‘clean’. !! You have to declare the drink driving conviction for 5 years for any job application and is almost certain to be a no-no for driving buses, or minibuses, for that time. For many companies they want a ‘clear driving licence’ and as the DR10 remains on your driving licence record for 11 years then yes, you would not gain employment with them for that period of time.
What is supposed to happen is that when you seek employment, you get a code generated by DVLA and give that to the firm that you want to work for. They run that code and it shows unspent convictions, so after 5 years it shows up as clear.

What actually happens is that the firm offer you a job, get tour personal details including national insurance number and then run that through the online checker. Because your national insurance number and date of birth have been inputted, the system thinks that it is you that are checking for yourself, and therefore it is treated as a request: “have I got anything recorded on MY licence” and it reports any drink drive convictions in the past 11 years. (11 years is the time it is retained for sentencing purposes for ‘2 offences in 10 years = min 3 year ban)
The firm will have asked you ‘do you have a CLEAN licence?’ And you said “no” …. But that is not true. You should have been up front about it, but done your homework to see what their stance is on a ‘spent’ drink drive conviction is on gaining employment.

So the answer to your question is that you will not be able to drive a bus for 5 years, and quite possibly for 11 years. Those times run from the date of your conviction in court.
Thank you for taking the time to explain it to me.

Looks like I'll have to explore other options that don't involve driving. 😞

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off