DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
I received my letter on the 14th September, 61 days after my application was made. Their letter to the Doctor arrived on the 16th September, 2 days later (?) and the first appointment I can get is the 30th September 2021, 77 days after my application.

That gives the DVLA 13 days to process, assess, and issue my licence to meet the 90 day target. Given that I know they will write to my GP, this will obviously not happen.

I have already resigned myself to not having a licence until around early December. That's the same time as my birthday so it will be a nice present.

Than I need to begin looking for cars and insurance.
Same when it comes to the maths. Likewise I'll be happy if I get it by Xmas. Kept my car and insurance is near enough the same for me circa 200 quid more as i lost my 6 years NCB. Reason insurance is near enough the same as I was already declaring a drink drive conviction from 2014 and that's spent as insurers only ask you for the last 5 years so its back to square one with me plus minus the ncb

Glad you've both got one sorted, wish mine was nothing available till at least November but can't advise as the calendar of appointments for Nov isn't visible yet.

It’s now 5 weeks since my DVLA medical.
3 weeks ago the DVLA confirmed on the phone that the results and notes were on the system, and needed to be reviewed by the medical team, but there was no ETA on when that would happen, and that chasing would not help.
Ive been checking my license status daily as an exercise in futility, but it still shows ”you can now apply for your driving license”
Im in exactly same position as you having had my medical on 10th august. Keep us posted if you have any update at all. Hopefully it won’t be too long for us both

Last edited:
Hey everyone. My HRO medical was on the 19th July and I still haven’t heard anything back yet (close to 9weeks later). Tried to call but can never get through, roughly 300 attempts to the DVLA. I’ve emailed but get a generic reply. I’ve put in a complaint, but another generic reply came back. I’m at a loss as to what to do, I haven’t even received confirmation they have received my bloods.
if they contact my GP are they likely to inform me of this ?
It’s the uncertainty which is the biggest problem. Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

Hey everyone. My HRO medical was on the 19th July and I still haven’t heard anything back yet (close to 9weeks later). Tried to call but can never get through, roughly 300 attempts to the DVLA. I’ve emailed but get a generic reply. I’ve put in a complaint, but another generic reply came back. I’m at a loss as to what to do, I haven’t even received confirmation they have received my bloods.
It’s the uncertainty which is the biggest problem. Any advice would be greatly welcomed.
Keep up with ringing and press option 1 then 2, only way to get through!! It has worked for me recently

Im in exactly same position as you having had my medical on 10th august. Keep us posted if you have any update at all. Hopefully it won’t be too long for us both
So that's nearly 5 weeks. Have you been informed if they will be writing to your GP?

You will get through. It takes about 6 consecutive attempts. Best time time call is 8.00am in the morning when they open, although even then you are automatically referred to the 'High Volume of Calls' message.

To be honest though you will only get to speak to a call handler who will look up your details on the IT system and let you know what you already know, that you have had your medical and the results are being assessed. You will never get to speak to anyone beyond this. It just doesn't happen.

Got my licence back this week (If you have the energy. see my loooong list of complaints. ) Anyway, just received an email saying that my complaint has been logged.

You will get through. It takes about 6 consecutive attempts. Best time time call is 8.00am in the morning when they open, although even then you are automatically referred to the 'High Volume of Calls' message.

To be honest though you will only get to speak to a call handler who will look up your details on the IT system and let you know what you already know, that you have had your medical and the results are being assessed. You will never get to speak to anyone beyond this. It just doesn't happen.
You are probably right. I guess I just need to accept that I will have to wait as long as it takes for them to process the application. Just feels like a horrible wait. 10 weeks from application to medical letter, luckily two weeks later I had the medical. And 9 weeks later still awaiting some news. Oh well! Thanks for the advice, I will try and accept the situation for what it is.

So that's nearly 5 weeks. Have you been informed if they will be writing to your GP?
No haven’t heard anything at all. I called after 3 1/2 weeks and they said they’d received everything and was in the queue so that’s good news I guess

No haven’t heard anything at all. I called after 3 1/2 weeks and they said they’d received everything and was in the queue so that’s good news I guess
HI all still waiting, had my medical 17 May that was 18 weeks today ban was up 8 May contacted ceo( Julie lennard x2) nothing! Complaints team took my address date of birth licence no .that was 11 days ago . When I can get through to dvla I am told I am in a queue awaiting medical people to respond what a joke they are they are a law to themselves

HI all still waiting, had my medical 17 May that was 18 weeks today ban was up 8 May contacted ceo( Julie lennard x2) nothing! Complaints team took my address date of birth licence no .that was 11 days ago . When I can get through to dvla I am told I am in a queue awaiting medical people to respond what a joke they are they are a law to themselves
Oh god! That’s horrendous! Im on 9 weeks today and the thought of having to wait another 9 and still be no further down the line is a joke.
it basically puts us at the whim of whatever they say and whatever timeframe they dictate. Like you say, they appear to be a law to themselves.

Oh god! That’s horrendous! Im on 9 weeks today and the thought of having to wait another 9 and still be no further down the line is a joke.
it basically puts us at the whim of whatever they say and whatever timeframe they dictate. Like you say, they appear to be a law to themselves.
Okay here is my 'live' timeline.

Licence Applied For
15/07/2021​
Application form Rec'd from DVLA
27/07/2021​
Called
24/08/2021​
Cheque Cashed
31/08/2021​
Called
03/09/2021​
Medical Letter Received
14/09/2021​
Medical
30/09/2021​

As you can see, from application until receipt of letter from DVLA took 8 weeks.

The DVLA letter says that you must then take the examination within 12 weeks from the date of the letter (not the date you received it.)

At present, these are fairly 'normal' timescales.

My ban expires on the 12th October, but from what I have read on this site, I do not expect my licence returned (all being well,) until around the 1st week in December.

To be honest I am actually working to early January.

Regarding CDT levels. I haven't drank anything since 24th July 2019 and a recent private CDT test gave a reading of 0.20%.

Today marks 6 weeks since my medical. I have just spoken with the DVLA and they told me they have written to my GP and sent me a letter stating this (said it was sent to me yesterday)

They also gave me an email address in which my GP can send the questionaire back to the DVLA providing it comes from an NHS email address.

Hopefully not long left of this hellish rollercoaster ride!

Sent off my d1 application via recorded delivery on the 5th august. Called dlva today and was told my application had been scanned onto system on 13th september. Any idea how long it will take now to get the letter to book my medical.

Today marks 6 weeks since my medical. I have just spoken with the DVLA and they told me they have written to my GP and sent me a letter stating this (said it was sent to me yesterday)

They also gave me an email address in which my GP can send the questionaire back to the DVLA providing it comes from an NHS email address.

Hopefully not long left of this hellish rollercoaster ride!
Mine was exactly 6 weeks ago today too. I may try ring dvla see if they’ve got an update. Did it take you long to get through?

Sent off my d1 application via recorded delivery on the 5th august. Called dlva today and was told my application had been scanned onto system on 13th september. Any idea how long it will take now to get the letter to book my medical.
Have they cashed your cheque yet?

Mine get scanned on the system around 12th August, cheque cashed 1 week after that and then 2 weeks after that i got the letter to book the medical.

This should give you a rough idea as myself and a couple of others are around the same stage on here.

Have they cashed your cheque yet?

Mine get scanned on the system around 12th August, cheque cashed 1 week after that and then 2 weeks after that i got the letter to book the medical.

This should give you a rough idea as myself and a couple of others are around the same stage on here.
Didnt ask if my postal order had been cashed, i thought they would have done that when they scanned it onto the system. Is there any other way to find out if my postal order has been cashed?

26 attempts, then was on hold for about 20 mins, good luck 🤞
Managed to get through to dvla, no further update since I called on 3rd September, all he could say was that they have everything in hand, just waiting for the medical team to review it, same thing I was told beginning of the month

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off