DVLA Medical High Risk Offender Licence Application Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Just got off the phone with the medical department, if I can get my doctor to write to them saying she has made a mistake and that I haven't been alcohol dependent 1year 3 months ago that she's stated 😒🤷‍♀️ then they'll review it and I won't have to wait the 6 or 12 month's! They've cocked up by giving me my licence back before they got all the evidence that they needed!
Good luck. Same thing happened with me. A Dr at my practice filled the forms in and implied that I was alcohol dependent. DVLA extended my ban by at least 12 months, I spoke to my GP who bol**cked the Dr, wrote to DVLA explaining that I wasn't, and never had been dependent, and a few months later (delayed because of Covid) they reissued my licence.

Keep on their back, get a copy of what the GP sends also for your records...

Good luck. Same thing happened with me. A Dr at my practice filled the forms in and implied that I was alcohol dependent. DVLA extended my ban by at least 12 months, I spoke to my GP who bol**cked the Dr, wrote to DVLA explaining that I wasn't, and never had been dependent, and a few months later (delayed because of Covid) they reissued my licence.

My GP isn't in until Thursday 😒 but I'm hoping I can get her to change it! We went through the form together so I've no idea where it's come from! Apparently because I put that my last drink was in March it's contradicted everything, but surely my bloods would of shown that I'm not dependent?! It's a messed up system...

My GP isn't in until Thursday 😒 but I'm hoping I can get her to change it! We went through the form together so I've no idea where it's come from! Apparently because I put that my last drink was in March it's contradicted everything, but surely my bloods would of shown that I'm not dependent?! It's a messed up system...
Well the DVLA owe you a big apology. Issuing your licence before they had the info has generated all of this hassle for you. Not on . Good luck with it.

How did u even get through to them? I must have tried over 250 calls today and still didnt get through.
RE STATUS OF A D1 APPLICATION

Call at 8.00 am. It usually takes around 6 tries to get into the queue, but generally you will only get a call handler who will simply look at your info on their system and tell which stage you are at.

You will NEVER get to speak to ant decision makers.

What time did u try?
There is no "right time to call" it's just the luck of the draw. People on her say 8am.. every time I have rang it has been between 1-2pm, six to ten times max and I'm in a queue of about 15-20 mins. It really is a lottery. Just keep trying

Big Tom

Interesting one. To date, I have no knowledge of what my GP has divulged to the DVLA at the end of last year.

When I recieved my necessary paperwork back along with the 12 month temporary licence I saw I was put into the category of a 'misuser', which I don't dispute. I was actually surprised I wasn't classed as 'dependant' judging by the alcohol problems I had prior to my ban!

With GP's are they allowed to make reference to you being alcohol dependant or a misuse? I always thought any labelling of being a 'misuser' or 'dependant' is made by the DVLA Medical Team.

CJ

Big Tom

Interesting one. To date, I have no knowledge of what my GP has divulged to the DVLA at the end of last year.

When I recieved my necessary paperwork back along with the 12 month temporary licence I saw I was put into the category of a 'misuser', which I don't dispute. I was actually surprised I wasn't classed as 'dependant' judging by the alcohol problems I had prior to my ban!

With GP's are they allowed to make reference to you being alcohol dependant or a misuse? I always thought any labelling of being a 'misuser' or 'dependant' is made by the DVLA Medical Team.

CJ
CJ

DVLA give guidance to GP's about misuse/dependence - see here DVLA Guidance

I think DVLA use a mix of what they know/think they know, and what the GP says in making the decision of what they categorise people as.

Have you done a Subject Access Report from DVLA to see what the GP sent in about you? Might just ease your mind.

Tom

Does anyone have info?
After having a blood test in 2019 my ALT came back higher than it should be, I was sent for scan and told I had fatty liver, GP advised me to cut down drinking which I did. Go forward to Jan this year and I was banned with breath reading of 70 so under the HRO marker. My question is, would my Dr have informed the DVLA of my fatty liver diagnosis?

Doctor called thismorning, said she'll write to the DVLA and tell them that I'm not dependent but that I was drinking 20 units a werk back in 2019 as misuse. Finger's Crossed the worse case is the 6 months controlled drinking before getting Mt licence back AGAIN. Will keep you updated when I know more.

Does anyone have info?
After having a blood test in 2019 my ALT came back higher than it should be, I was sent for scan and told I had fatty liver, GP advised me to cut down drinking which I did. Go forward to Jan this year and I was banned with breath reading of 70 so under the HRO marker. My question is, would my Dr have informed the DVLA of my fatty liver diagnosis?

GGG

If this is your first ban and you blew 70, your GP will not need to be contacted at the end of your ban as you do not need to go through the medical saga.

In terms of the GP going out of his/her way to contact the DVLA - this seems unlikely if your fatty liver was diagnosed in 2019. If the GP was going to notify the DVLA, they would have done it at the time and you would have received some notification that the DVLA medical team were looking into your suitability to drive.

GP's tend to have different approaches to their work. One or two GP's are 'jobsworths' who will report you to the DVLA if anything minor comes to their attention (like saying you drink 20 units a week, instead of the recommended 14 units). In most cases, a sound GP will just make a judgement call as to whether their patient is a danger on the road.

If say you have simply had a unhealthy lifestyle, with too much drinking and fast food, the GP will merely add it to your patient notes and not take it further.

I visited my own GP surgery a handful of times between 2014 & 2018 for alcohol issues and at no time did the different GP's pursue the matter with the DVLA. They were more than within their right to do so, but they didn't. I was eventually potted for drink driving in 2019.

I don't think you have anything to worry about with your circumstances.

CJ

CJ

I think DVLA use a mix of what they know/think they know, and what the GP says in making the decision of what they categorise people as.

Have you done a Subject Access Report from DVLA to see what the GP sent in about you? Might just ease your mind.

Tom

Big Tom

I did a Subject Access Request at the start of the year to find out what my CDT score was.

I am not too concerned about what the GP has said about me - it cannot be too scathing as I would have been put into the 'dependence' category if they had disclosed anything too detrimental!!!!

CJ

Big Tom

I did a Subject Access Request at the start of the year to find out what my CDT score was.

I am not too concerned about what the GP has said about me - it cannot be too scathing as I would have been put into the 'dependence' category if they had disclosed anything too detrimental!!!!

CJ
How long did it take to get your subject access request back?

GGG

If this is your first ban and you blew 70, your GP will not need to be contacted at the end of your ban as you do not need to go through the medical saga.

In terms of the GP going out of his/her way to contact the DVLA - this seems unlikely if your fatty liver was diagnosed in 2019. If the GP was going to notify the DVLA, they would have done it at the time and you would have received some notification that the DVLA medical team were looking into your suitability to drive.

GP's tend to have different approaches to their work. One or two GP's are 'jobsworths' who will report you to the DVLA if anything minor comes to their attention (like saying you drink 20 units a week, instead of the recommended 14 units). In most cases, a sound GP will just make a judgement call as to whether their patient is a danger on the road.

If say you have simply had a unhealthy lifestyle, with too much drinking and fast food, the GP will merely add it to your patient notes and not take it further.

I visited my own GP surgery a handful of times between 2014 & 2018 for alcohol issues and at no time did the different GP's pursue the matter with the DVLA. They were more than within their right to do so, but they didn't. I was eventually potted for drink driving in 2019.

I don't think you have anything to worry about with your circumstances.

CJ
Thanks CJ, yes first ban, I'm in last 5 month of my ban and started to over think things.

CJ

Tom
The GP should have a copy of what was sent in. It should be quicker to access it via this route and not necessary to go via DVLA .

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off