CDT Test (Carbohydrate Deficient Transferrin)

Convicted Driver Insurance
Afternoon John,

I thought I'd update you as follows.

Appointment with my GP last Thursday, explained the situation and he was very helpful. Like a number of people in this situation, GP don't know a lot about CDT tests as not used in normal GP practice.

He took bloods and sent off for the following tests:
• Liver function (LFT)
• Gamma-Glutamyl Transferase (GGT)
• Mean Corpuscular Volume (MCV)
• Alanine Transaminase (ALT)
• Aspartate Aminotransferase (AST)
• I'm also waiting for an appointment for a NASH Test - Ultrasound scan of liver for fatty deposits not related to alcohol - This could take a few weeks to come through.

He also gave me a copy of the Doctors Medical Questionnaire that was submitted as part of my licence application. All questions answered in support of my application - No issues with alcohol.

The results came back early afternoon Friday - All fine - No Further Action Needed. He left a copy of the results for me to collect from reception. I'm not medically trained, so I need to research what each figure signifies in relation to my case?

I have yet to contact him regarding how to use the above results (and the eventual NASH test) to challenge the DVLA's decision.

I did mention EtG / FAEE & PEth tests to prove previous abstinence at my appointment, but he was unaware of these tests and didn't know how to refer me for these. So I guess this is where the DVLA could ignore these results as they are not through my GP. These are used by CAFCASS in child custody cases and I have quotes from 2 Labs. They're quite costly - £800. So I need to be sure they'll be regarded?

Any advice/info gladly received.

Many thanks,

Ian.

No do not spend money like that as it will not be of any use in a DVLA application. They rely on CDT themselves, and will accept LFT results done through, and reported by, your GP.
Any independent tests poses the problem of ‘who supplied the actual sample?’ And DVLA will not consider the results, so save your money!

No do not spend money like that as it will not be of any use in a DVLA application. They rely on CDT themselves, and will accept LFT results done through, and reported by, your GP.
Any independent tests poses the problem of ‘who supplied the actual sample?’ And DVLA will not consider the results, so save your money!
I spoke to my surgery today and they send a letter back to the dvla on the 18/5/2021 so i am hoping to get a letter to book a medical soon. Question are these the current traffic light system used by the dvla john. I saved it off a thread a while back so not sure if its up to date as i have booked a private CDT test for piece of mind.

A %CDT result below 1.7 suggests no recent excess alcohol intake.

A %CDT level result between 1.7 and 2.2 suggests recent excess alcohol intake.

A %CDT level result between 2.3 and 2.9 indicates regular
heavy amounts of alcohol consumption and can be an indication of increasing risk or higher risk drinking.

A %CDT result of 3 or more indicates regular excess amounts of alcohol consumption and can indicate alcohol dependence.

The above is so called the traffic light system, if they allow you to drive or not or if they ask questions to your doctor for more information. I put NO to everything on the questionaire.

Now here's the rub for you all, on the actual medical test by SYNLAB it states this, i think this is VERY important for all on here:

Classic CDT (%)
DVLA Green <1.3
DVLA Amber 1.3 - 1.6
DVLA Red >1.7

I spoke to my surgery today and they send a letter back to the dvla on the 18/5/2021 so i am hoping to get a letter to book a medical soon. Question are these the current traffic light system used by the dvla john. I saved it off a thread a while back so not sure if its up to date as i have booked a private CDT test for piece of mind.

A %CDT result below 1.7 suggests no recent excess alcohol intake.

A %CDT level result between 1.7 and 2.2 suggests recent excess alcohol intake.

A %CDT level result between 2.3 and 2.9 indicates regular
heavy amounts of alcohol consumption and can be an indication of increasing risk or higher risk drinking.

A %CDT result of 3 or more indicates regular excess amounts of alcohol consumption and can indicate alcohol dependence.

The above is so called the traffic light system, if they allow you to drive or not or if they ask questions to your doctor for more information. I put NO to everything on the questionaire.

Now here's the rub for you all, on the actual medical test by SYNLAB it states this, i think this is VERY important for all on here:

Classic CDT (%)
DVLA Green <1.3
DVLA Amber 1.3 - 1.6
DVLA Red >1.7

A simple question, but a hard answer!

I would say that the Synlab one is the closest to the DVLA position, UNLESS they are looking at someone who has been classified as alcohol misuse or alcohol dependent when they will be looking for a lower score than that scale. Certainly for alcohol dependence they seem to want a reading in CDT of below 1%

Afternoon John,

Just an update regarding the various tests I’ve had. As I mentioned previously, all of my blood work came back as normal. I’ve had the liver ultrasound scan and received the results last week, all normal.

The doctor has kindly provided a covering letter including all of the test results and my 8 months abstinence, requesting these be taken in to consideration when assessing my fitness to drive on appeal.

Do you have any advice as to how to word my appeal letter. As my CDT levels were 2.4 after 6 months abstinence, I assume the best I could hope for is another DVLA medical and blood test which, fingers crossed, would read below 1.0?

My fear is after all of these tests reading ‘normal’ and a further CDT test comes back high, where do I go medically to prove these readings are not alcohol related?

Your advice would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks, Ian.

Ian,

Generally DVLA would not entertain a further CDT test until 6 months have elapsed.
There are 2 ways of appealing a decision, you can go to the Magistrates court for a formal appeal, but it seems that these always fail, or you can do a written appeal to dvla.

If you appeal in writing to DVLA you should detail what tests have been done by your GP and how long you have been abstinent.
You can try asking them to perform another CDT test but that this should be more detailed to break down the CDT into it’s ‘finer’ points. There can be (rare) instances where a general CDT result can be elevated, point out the below report:

I am wondering if it would help your case if you made a Statutory Declaration of the fact that you have not consumed alcohol since XX date, and that you know of no reason why your CDT score should be elevated.
Whilst this is not legally binding, it is more formal than just saying in a letter that you have not been drinking…..
You can complete one in the link below, print it out and have it formally witnessed before you send it with your appeal letter.

Ian,

Generally DVLA would not entertain a further CDT test until 6 months have elapsed.
There are 2 ways of appealing a decision, you can go to the Magistrates court for a formal appeal, but it seems that these always fail, or you can do a written appeal to dvla.

If you appeal in writing to DVLA you should detail what tests have been done by your GP and how long you have been abstinent.
You can try asking them to perform another CDT test but that this should be more detailed to break down the CDT into it’s ‘finer’ points. There can be (rare) instances where a general CDT result can be elevated, point out the below report:

I am wondering if it would help your case if you made a Statutory Declaration of the fact that you have not consumed alcohol since XX date, and that you know of no reason why your CDT score should be elevated.
Whilst this is not legally binding, it is more formal than just saying in a letter that you have not been drinking…..
You can complete one in the link below, print it out and have it formally witnessed before you send it with your appeal letter.

Many thanks John.

I just got through to DVLA to chase medical and whether they’ve received everything and whether she could tell me anything and she said “it is likely that they are going to write to my GP..”

Does that mean I failed the CDT or is it because they are doing this with all HRO now?

Last edited:
I just got through to DVLA to chase medical and whether they’ve received everything and whether she could tell me anything and she said “it is likely that they are going to write to my GP..”

Does that mean I failed the CDT or is it because they are doing this with all HRO now?
From reading a lot of posts on here i think they're contacting GPs more these days and more so if there is anything on your medical declaration or from the Dr who done the medical and of course if your CDT was higher than expected Mind if i ask when your medical was cos i had mine on 20th July and not a peep since

Hi
I think we can take it as a given, that as HROs, the DVLA will contact our GPs
At the end of my ban, I was informed of this after my DVLA Medical. As a HRO classified as an abuser, my cdt was 0.3 so no real concerns, and I answered all the questions with an honest no.
When I applied for my second license the DVLA wrote to my GP before I received any information about the DVLA Medical.
I think keeping in touch with our GPs and making sure they are fully updated, and know in advance that they will be contacted by the DVLA is generally helpful, as is having a conversation with them about the responses on the forms they fill out. Also a good idea to take a photo of the forms that we forward to the DVLA…to ensure that there isn’t even a slight difference in what we put on the forms and what we discuss with our GPs. Any minor differences could cause problems….as has been stated on this site, it’s about integrity.
Good luck everyone, Jane

From reading a lot of posts on here i think they're contacting GPs more these days and more so if there is anything on your medical declaration or from the Dr who done the medical and of course if your CDT was higher than expected Mind if i ask when your medical was cos i had mine on 20th July and not a peep since
Thanks Both.

@jimbo2167 12 July

I posted on the medical thread as I've just received my licence back and promised I'd update here. I also posted how nervous I was around the time leading up to the medical and my experience from the day of the medical; concerns about the CDT analysis and questions from the DVLA Medical doctor. Posters have been so helpful along my journey - I wish I had found this site much earlier on..

I offended in Oct 2019 and following an extremely stupid decision, I found my life spiralling out of control somewhat with external factors contributing to the DD mistake (where fortunately I did not do serious damage as a result of that stupid 'decision'); but led on to serious mental un-wellness and debilitating shame.

So - I decided to quit drinking for 16 months from the January 2020 until May 2021. Not too difficult through lockdown and the guilt; if anyone can empathise - I had never been that person - whoever that person is.. I then took the decision to moderate post - final lockdown. Had a couple of blowouts through May and June then completely reigned myself in again 4 weeks before my due medical. I was supplementing everyday for those 4 weeks (and advice on here) with milk thistle, spirulina; a Vit C high strength effervescent tablet and a women's multi-vit. I was trying to drink alcohol-free, plenty of water and the odd Bud. I went to a wedding (close family) 2 weeks into my abstinence and had a glass and a 1/2 prosecco during the toasts; a very small glass of white wine and then about 4 hours late at night a bottle of Peroni. I was really paranoid this could raise my levels.

I have found out today after my medical (early July) that my CDT was 0.8%. It is for me a HUGE relief. It's almost like the licence reissued is small in comparison for what the CDT result reflects. I believe this was the most stressful time of my life and a waiting game for which I am very, very lucky I have been dealt with pretty quickly given the Covid situ and strain on the DVLA.

And I am very grateful to all of the people that have supported me throughout that split second decision.. You really find out who your true friends are. And I will never make the same mistake again ever. I have purchased a breathalyser to check - in case (not that I intend to ever use it); fully realise the luxury and privilege of being able to drive, necessity of chaperoning my kids. about after 2 winters on foot/train, seriousness of my mistake, acknowledgement of where I was when I messed up. I don't drink like I was. I won't ever again. I never respected alcohol and now I do..

And all of the people on here who have replied and privately messaged me - thank you so much.

No one can ever understand how an insane decision can steer the course of your path and the detrimental mental effects/trauma that follow. Please PM me if you need to or are struggling - this forum has become part of my daily life. I will never forget the people who have helped me on here..

And now I move on to the Insurance posts. Eek. Good luck to all that unfortunately have to work though all of this.... I hope my post helps one of you ...

Last edited:
looking back at all these posts, im suddenly very worried.. what happened is about 5 years ago i was done for drunk in charge, but got off with 10 points , no ban. like a fool, 6 weeks latter i was caught d/driving again and the judge threw the book at me.. whilst waiting to go to court i had a very bad time, drunk every night, so bad i was hospitalisd 3 nights in a row... at court i got a 5 year ban, and 12 weeks in prison.. inside i got all the help i could ever have asked for.. alcohol counciling, full detox. etc,etc.... since that day i went in prison, iv not had so much as a shandy.. and thats the truth.. NOW , to today.. i should get my paperwork for my medical no 6/1/22, my ban is over 7/4/22... nobody ever told me that i would have to prove that i havent had a drink, i dont think iv even been to my doctors in the last 5 years , iv not even thought of having any tests done.. the CDT test will show that , but how for back can the CDT go..? hope someone can give me some answears

I posted on the medical thread as I've just received my licence back and promised I'd update here. I also posted how nervous I was around the time leading up to the medical and my experience from the day of the medical; concerns about the CDT analysis and questions from the DVLA Medical doctor. Posters have been so helpful along my journey - I wish I had found this site much earlier on..

I offended in Oct 2019 and following an extremely stupid decision, I found my life spiralling out of control somewhat with external factors contributing to the DD mistake (where fortunately I did not do serious damage as a result of that stupid 'decision'); but led on to serious mental un-wellness and debilitating shame.

So - I decided to quit drinking for 16 months from the January 2020 until May 2021. Not too difficult through lockdown and the guilt; if anyone can empathise - I had never been that person - whoever that person is.. I then took the decision to moderate post - final lockdown. Had a couple of blowouts through May and June then completely reigned myself in again 4 weeks before my due medical. I was supplementing everyday for those 4 weeks (and advice on here) with milk thistle, spirulina; a Vit C high strength effervescent tablet and a women's multi-vit. I was trying to drink alcohol-free, plenty of water and the odd Bud. I went to a wedding (close family) 2 weeks into my abstinence and had a glass and a 1/2 prosecco during the toasts; a very small glass of white wine and then about 4 hours late at night a bottle of Peroni. I was really paranoid this could raise my levels.

I have found out today after my medical (early July) that my CDT was 0.8%. It is for me a HUGE relief. It's almost like the licence reissued is small in comparison for what the CDT result reflects. I believe this was the most stressful time of my life and a waiting game for which I am very, very lucky I have been dealt with pretty quickly given the Covid situ and strain on the DVLA.

And I am very grateful to all of the people that have supported me throughout that split second decision.. You really find out who your true friends are. And I will never make the same mistake again ever. I have purchased a breathalyser to check - in case (not that I intend to ever use it); fully realise the luxury and privilege of being able to drive, necessity of chaperoning my kids. about after 2 winters on foot/train, seriousness of my mistake, acknowledgement of where I was when I messed up. I don't drink like I was. I won't ever again. I never respected alcohol and now I do..

And all of the people on here who have replied and privately messaged me - thank you so much.

No one can ever understand how an insane decision can steer the course of your path and the detrimental mental effects/trauma that follow. Please PM me if you need to or are struggling - this forum has become part of my daily life. I will never forget the people who have helped me on here..

And now I move on to the Insurance posts. Eek. Good luck to all that unfortunately have to work though all of this.... I hope my post helps one of you ...

Think (am no medical expert) that drinking lots of water can only be good. PS Congrats

Am no medical expert but sure drinking lots of water is good Ps Congrats
Go to your GP and make sure they are updated re your progress. People on here who have been abstinent for only a few months report very acceptable CDT scores. You have done brilliantly. Well done .

looking back at all these posts, im suddenly very worried.. what happened is about 5 years ago i was done for drunk in charge, but got off with 10 points , no ban. like a fool, 6 weeks latter i was caught d/driving again and the judge threw the book at me.. whilst waiting to go to court i had a very bad time, drunk every night, so bad i was hospitalisd 3 nights in a row... at court i got a 5 year ban, and 12 weeks in prison.. inside i got all the help i could ever have asked for.. alcohol counciling, full detox. etc,etc.... since that day i went in prison, iv not had so much as a shandy.. and thats the truth.. NOW , to today.. i should get my paperwork for my medical no 6/1/22, my ban is over 7/4/22... nobody ever told me that i would have to prove that i havent had a drink, i dont think iv even been to my doctors in the last 5 years , iv not even thought of having any tests done.. the CDT test will show that , but how for back can the CDT go..? hope someone can give me some answears
If you haven’t touched a drop then don’t spend a second worrying . You’ve done your jail time and you will serve your ban .
There are people on here that I’ve read that have carried in drinking until 2 weeks before and passed the cdt test .
Seriously don’t spend to much time in here reading and reading as you will do your head in . You will see people contradicting each other as well … because we are all different and our bodies different.

Stay off the beer and any other substances and take it all as it comes .

I found this after a quick search online.

Our metabolisms are different so each will have a different reading.

After 24 months abstinence (absolutely NO alcohol,) my private CDT reading was 0.20%.

The thing to remember is that the DVLA is very 'black & white' in their attitudes to drinking and alcohol. It's very much a zero tolerance attitude, all across the board for anyone unlucky enough to become a High Risk Offender.

If you are labelled as a 'misuser' or 'dependant' you need to be very careful about your drinking habits, certainly while the DVLA have you under their microscope.

I've not consumed alcohol for two years now. As I have a second DVLA medical due around the end of the year (it might be early 2022 due to the DVLA delays) I don't propose consuming any alcohol until I am at least clear of my second medical.

Once, the second medical is out of the way and I have been granted a longer licence (wishful thinking!), I might be in a position to enjoy a drink without feeling guilty or looking over my shoulder.

The first few years of the HRO process is definately the hardest - having regular LFTs with your GP and passing your first couple of CDTs. I would advise anyone on here, just to simply refrain from alcohol during this phase so that you have that sound piece of mind.

As another forum member has highlighted, if you do still enjoy a drink, the DVLA must never be told about it. Even declaring a celebratory glass of sherry at Christmas will get your licence revoked.

This goes back to what I said at the start of my thread - it is very black & white! My Dad has a saying of ''sometimes being too honest does you no favours'' and this is exactly true with the HRO system.

''If it isn't written down, it hasn't happened!'' is another phrase I relate to that one of my old work supervisors used to say. This is exactly true with the DVLA and anything held on a NHS database. If you have had any recent alcohol, this must not be documented anywhere!

I cannot criticise safe, sensible, controlled drinking but it is important to remember that CDTs are designed to monitor us and ensure we are behaving ourselves.

Certainly, whilst anyone is subject to annual (yearly) CDTs, I would encourage them to simply avoid any alcohol until at least a longer licence has been issued.

Thats my thoughts on the subject anyway, for what it's worth.

CJ

The thing to remember is that the DVLA is very 'black & white' in their attitudes to drinking and alcohol. It's very much a zero tolerance attitude, all across the board for anyone unlucky enough to become a High Risk Offender.

If you are labelled as a 'misuser' or 'dependant' you need to be very careful about your drinking habits, certainly while the DVLA have you under their microscope.

I've not consumed alcohol for two years now. As I have a second DVLA medical due around the end of the year (it might be early 2022 due to the DVLA delays) I don't propose consuming any alcohol until I am at least clear of my second medical.

Once, the second medical is out of the way and I have been granted a longer licence (wishful thinking!), I might be in a position to enjoy a drink without feeling guilty or looking over my shoulder.

The first few years of the HRO process is definately the hardest - having regular LFTs with your GP and passing your first couple of CDTs. I would advise anyone on here, just to simply refrain from alcohol during this phase so that you have that sound piece of mind.

As another forum member has highlighted, if you do still enjoy a drink, the DVLA must never be told about it. Even declaring a celebratory glass of sherry at Christmas will get your licence revoked.

This goes back to what I said at the start of my thread - it is very black & white! My Dad has a saying of ''sometimes being too honest does you no favours'' and this is exactly true with the HRO system.

''If it isn't written down, it hasn't happened!'' is another phrase I relate to that one of my old work supervisors used to say. This is exactly true with the DVLA and anything held on a NHS database. If you have had any recent alcohol, this must not be documented anywhere!

I cannot criticise safe, sensible, controlled drinking but it is important to remember that CDTs are designed to monitor us and ensure we are behaving ourselves.

Certainly, whilst anyone is subject to annual (yearly) CDTs, I would encourage them to simply avoid any alcohol until at least a longer licence has been issued.

Thats my thoughts on the subject anyway, for what it's worth.

CJ
So CJ am I right in thinking you are on a one year licence and being CDT ‘d yearly as a way of being allowed to continue to drive ??

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off