DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
I am so angry today guys. Ban was up March 1st - had a DVLA medical beginning of March - they then wrote to doctors for further info - they received doctors reply and scanned on last week - now just received a letter saying I need ANOTHER DVLA medical! Surely this isn’t right? Thoughts??

I am so angry today guys. Ban was up March 1st - had a DVLA medical beginning of March - they then wrote to doctors for further info - they received doctors reply and scanned on last week - now just received a letter saying I need ANOTHER DVLA medical! Surely this isn’t right? Thoughts??
You have mentioned issues before with codeine, it may well be that DVLA want you to have a medical with one of their doctors to get a urine sample to check for codeine abuse. It is detectable in urine for longer than in blood, and anyway the blood sample you supplied would ONLY have been tested for the CDT element, not for drugs or even alcohol.

You have mentioned issues before with codeine, it may well be that DVLA want you to have a medical with one of their doctors to get a urine sample to check for codeine abuse. It is detectable in urine for longer than in blood, and anyway the blood sample you supplied would ONLY have been tested for the CDT element, not for drugs or even alcohol.
Yeah… I called them and you’re right, it’s to get a urine sample. God knows how long will be waiting for that

Hey,

I received my letter to book my medical today (sent application 17th June), however they still haven’t cashed my cheque. Was just wondering if this is normal?

Hey,

I received my letter to book my medical today (sent application 17th June), however they still haven’t cashed my cheque. Was just wondering if this is normal?
Took about a month for me so probably this week if the backlog hasn’t affected things

Following my medical I’m really not sure of timescales and when I should be bothering DVLA. Any advice?

Following my medical I’m really not sure of timescales and when I should be bothering DVLA. Any advice?
I’d contact them after 4 weeks to check they have results/ report. It’s not « bothering » them .
I’d agree with Polly, I think 4 weeks is more than reasonable for you to give them a call just to check that they have the results of your bloods and have received the questionnaire. I know the waiting is torture! Good luck.

I’d agree with Polly, I think 4 weeks is more than reasonable for you to give them a call just to check that they have the results of your bloods and have received the questionnaire. I know the waiting is torture! Good luck.
Thanks Polly and Bull just don’t want to lose any time. I’m gutted I can’t take the kids anywhere this summer which I thought I’d be doing by now :( I really do get everyone’s frustration but we are all criminals so there we go !

Thanks Polly and Bull just don’t want to lose any time. I’m gutted I can’t take the kids anywhere this summer which I thought I’d be doing by now :( I really do get everyone’s frustration but we are all criminals so there we go !
I truly understand. There’s no harm in giving them a call earlier than this of course - if you’re especially anxious, you can give them a call any time just to check they’ve received everything they need, but don’t be disappointed if the answer is ‘no’ before the four week mark. It’s a long slog, but when you have that licence in your hand it’s all worth it. Please don’t beat yourself up about your kids either, as a single Dad I’ve been there, done that. You’re doing your absolute best to fix your mistake and that is all that matters in the long run. You sound like a fantastic parent. Take care.

So things have moved on in my palava.
So my ban was up in November 2020 (9months ago).
My blood was taken in May 2021(actually 10 weeks ago)
On the questionnaire I answered with all honesty and as expected I now have another questionairre and the dvla are informing me they are contacting my doctor.
This is the beginning of another round of waiting and presumably a urine test which is fine. I'm completely clean and sober now. But I'm guessing I'll be punished for my past mistakes and have to wait and jump through a lot more hoops.
So 10 months from the end of my ban and I'm not expecting a licence anytime soon.
My advice is be very patient buy an electric bike or something and don'tose your mind.
The dvla medical group are very clear that they can take as long as they want. Probably have the right to refuse my application too if they feel that way which is scary.
Advice... Just blow in the bag. Never refuse to give a sample. In my case I was asleep in my camper van, did not feel like they had the right and I got stubborn.
Big mistake. If I'd blown in the bag this would have been over 10 months ago.

Actually does anyone on here know for sure what the dvla can do?
As in the temporary licence I've heard of....
Or even refusal to return a licence
Do they have those legal options
Anyone know the extent of this?
It would be good to know
And wether it's advisable to get a solicitor at some point in the process

I'm really concerned what Sillytoo has said about the mandatory writing to your GP. IS THIS DEFINITELY CORRECT ? 2 years ago I had a depressive spell due to marriage breakdown (young children involved) and family bereavement, and I was frank and open with my GP about drinking far too much, 50 units a week. For the depression I was put onto Citalopram which I still take, albeit entirely at my own choice. My life is good now, and healthy, but my frankness in speaking to my GP has already prevented me from taking a mortgage insurance policy out as GPs are duty bound to report anything and everything that they know about you as an indiviudal, even if it is detrimental to you, patient confidentiality does not exist any more. I appreciate that GPs are duty bound in their obligations but as a consequence of this being too frank and honest with them can 'bite you' whilst not receiving any worthwhile positives from the conversation.

I read somewhere elase on this forum that someone was refused their licence for an admisssion of chronic drinking 30 months ago. Therefore, is it possible that DVLA will penalise me for being an acknowledged heavy drinker 2 years ago ?
I'm interested what your palava is going to be like because I'm in a similar boat.i Hope you are ok

As long as you have booked or undertaken the medical, the DVLA will issue you a cover note enabling you to drive legally from the moment your ban ends, until the results of the medical are analysed. They won't to this automatically, you have to ring up and ask them to send it out.
Are you sure about that?
Have you dove it?
The information I have from the dvla is clear that until the process is over we will not be legal to drive

I just realised I'm reading posts from 10 years ago.... Sorry.... Pointless comments..
Unless it was true 10 years ago that the dvla issued temporary right to drive????

So things have moved on in my palava.
So my ban was up in November 2020 (9months ago).
My blood was taken in May 2021(actually 10 weeks ago)
On the questionnaire I answered with all honesty and as expected I now have another questionairre and the dvla are informing me they are contacting my doctor.
This is the beginning of another round of waiting and presumably a urine test which is fine. I'm completely clean and sober now. But I'm guessing I'll be punished for my past mistakes and have to wait and jump through a lot more hoops.
So 10 months from the end of my ban and I'm not expecting a licence anytime soon.
My advice is be very patient buy an electric bike or something and don'tose your mind.
The dvla medical group are very clear that they can take as long as they want. Probably have the right to refuse my application too if they feel that way which is scary.
Advice... Just blow in the bag. Never refuse to give a sample. In my case I was asleep in my camper van, did not feel like they had the right and I got stubborn.
Big mistake. If I'd blown in the bag this would have been over 10 months ago.
I applied on the 15th July but cheque has still not been cashed and have had no correspondence. I know this is very early and given the issues they are having I don't expect anything soon.

Did I read that correctly that you were sleeping in your camper van when they woke you up to try and breathalyse you?

This is the second time on here I have read about this happening.

Does anyone know the rules around drinking and living in a camper van.

I applied on the 15th July but cheque has still not been cashed and have had no correspondence. I know this is very early and given the issues they are having I don't expect anything soon.

Did I read that correctly that you were sleeping in your camper van when they woke you up to try and breathalyse you?

Yup that is what happened. I wish I had just given the sample. Under the circumstances I Was understandably refusing to cooperate. I was mistaken in my believe that the courts would find in my favour. Be careful about that. Apparently you need to lock your keys in a time safe so you are not.. "under the influence in control of vehicle". Yeah right. Like we all have one of those

I actually had a good solicitor. The rules are grey and black and white. It's illegal to be in a vehicle with the keys and over the limit period.
I was in bed in my pajamas. I was handcuffed and put in the police station. I had to walk back to the van in bare feet. There was a bulkhead between me and the drivers seat.
It didn't matter
I'm hro now.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off