Hro medical (your experiences)

Convicted Driver Insurance
1) Date you applied for new licence: 19th April
2) Date when you got the letter to book medical:
A DVLA Doctor rang me 2 weeks after I applied to re-new and asked me to come in the same day but I couldn't so we arranged for me to go in 12th May for May. I received letter from DVLA after id already booked my medical through Doctor.
3) Date when you sent letter back to book medical: N/A
4) Date of Medical: 12th May
5) Date of Results and Outcome: 2nd JULY I called up DVLA and they said I can drive from midnight tonight and my licence should be dropping thru the post in 3-5days.

Prior to my medical I was drinking easily a bottle of wine every night during lockdown. I came on here for advice and was basically told I had a problem and don't deserve to get my licence back 🤣
As i didnt have long to abstain before the doc booked me in i did exactly 2 weeks abstinence and again came on here and was told absolutely no chance i would get my license back.
yet here we are... 😉!! i wanted to post as there is ALOT of scaremongering going on in this forum and unhelpful comments.
I made a mistake and I've paid the price end of.
Good luck to anyone else waiting for theirs back.
Also I dont know if it helped but worth mentioning that in my 2 weeks of abstinence I drank s*it loads of water and took milk thistle, vit c and zinc. I also had a huge blow out for my fellas 40th 2 weeks before my medical.
Had you been disqualified? What was your disqualification end date if you don’t mind me asking .

Finally got my letter this morning to book my medical after 7 months of waiting.Only ever classed as misuse but did full 12 months x 4 blood tests and liver scan so GP would give me the support when applying this time as was not aware of how it all worked 3 years ago. Phoned today and can get in for medical within a week so that is nice after all the stories on here. Going to have a private test done for my own piece of mind then book appointment.

Can I ask what questions the doctor will ask? I know you have to fill out the medical form but will they 'test' you to see if your story correlates to the answers - are they trying to catch you out? I have mine tomorrow and seem to have become completely paranoid about more judgement/my life being in someone else's hands again :(

He will just go through the questions with you. They do not try to “trap you”.
Some add little bits, like checking your eyesight, or having you pee in a sample bottle but this is just used as a dip test for Diabetes, nothing else.
Some look at your arms, looking for needle track marks.
They often feel your abdomen to see if you have a swollen liver protruding from under your rib cage.
Considering that it is a ‘standard DVLA medical check’, there are lots of variations to it!

He will just go through the questions with you. They do not try to “trap you”.
Some add little bits, like checking your eyesight, or having you pee in a sample bottle but this is just used as a dip test for Diabetes, nothing else.
Some look at your arms, looking for needle track marks.
They often feel your abdomen to see if you have a swollen liver protruding from under your rib cage.
Considering that it is a ‘standard DVLA medical check’, there are lots of variations to it!
Thank you so much @price1367 I have a tendency to turn in to a bit of a spinning top about feeling in trouble etc. I'm so anxious the day is a bit of a right off.. Thanks again.

Thank you so much @price1367 I have a tendency to turn in to a bit of a spinning top about feeling in trouble etc. I'm so anxious the day is a bit of a right off.. Thanks again.
I did not have the opportunity to fill in the form. The doctor did it. I certainly didn’t experience a feeling of him trying to catch me out. I answered yes to only two questions, and it was only these that he asked fir a bit if detail of . I answered honestly that my last alcoholic drink was nearly 2 years ago so he didn’t ask anything re units etc x

Had 2 pints yesterday in a wedding so after reading all details on here about CDT tests i should be fine as medical 2 weeks away yet. 2 pints will not affect CDT levels anyway i should think as a one off.

I know @price1367 has already done so, but just to put your mind further at ease @Reets - I was a nervous wreck before the medical (even though I had nothing to hide!) and can honestly say it was a huge worry over nothing: the GP was nonchalant at best - it couldn’t be further from an interrogation. As long as you are honest then they really are not trying to catch you out. I was actually given my questionnaire to fill out myself in the waiting room. When I had finished it, I told the receptionist who lead me into the GPs office, where he read over the questions and VERY quickly went through them with me.
He did the usual checks - fewer than most I think (he just took my blood pressure, my weight and height) and then very politely asked me where I worked etc - essentially just small talk, to distract me - as he took my blood. He told me he would send the blood sample off straight away and asked if I had any questions (I didn’t). And I was free to go.
I will say however that it is now nine weeks since my medical and the DVLA are still processing my application. So I know you already know to expect a wait.
But in terms of the medical itself - if you have nothing to hide, then you have absolutely nothing to worry about. I wish I hadn’t stressed myself out so much prior! Wishing you luck.

Last edited:
I know @price1367 has already done so, but just to put your mind further at ease @Reets - I was a nervous wreck before the medical (even though I had nothing to hide!) and can honestly say it was a huge worry over nothing: the GP was nonchalant at best - it couldn’t be further from an interrogation. As long as you are honest then they really are not trying to catch you out. I was actually given my questionnaire to fill out myself in the waiting room. When I had finished it, I told the receptionist who lead me into the GPs office, where he read over the questions and VERY quickly went through them with me.
He did the usual checks - fewer than most I think (he just took my blood pressure, my weight and height) and then very politely asked me where I worked etc - essentially just small talk, to distract me - as he took my blood. He told me he would send the blood sample off straight away and asked if I had any questions (I didn’t). And I was free to go.
I will say however that it is now nine weeks since my medical and the DVLA are still processing my application. So I know you already know to expect a wait.
But in terms of the medical itself - if you have nothing to hide, then you have absolutely nothing to worry about. I wish I hadn’t stressed myself out so much prior! Wishing you luck.
What a really helpful post. I do think there should be consistency in the way the medical is conducted though . The Dr I attended filled it all in himself. I 100% agree with the nonchalant description.

Thank you so much Bulldog for sharing your account 😊

Hi all. My medical lasted 25m.
He gave me the medical questionnaire and I could hardly write as I was so anxious/nervous. I put down that I drink a bottle of wine but mentioned to him I share a bottle with my friend. I honestly don’t know what I drink as I stopped for a year and a half and only started again at the end of the last lockdown.) So he had to correct me to saying half a bottle - that frazzled me as I just thought he thought I was lying by that point. He took my weight and height. I laid on the couch bed. He asked me to pull mask down, looked at my eyes and face then felt liver region and listened to my liver and lower left chest area. Took the blood. I sat back at the desk and he flew through the final part of his questionnaire and I was done. I signed the form to give consent to contact GP for medical records.

I asked him how long it would take for the results to come in and he said the wait time had just been increased to 12 weeks.

For info: I was in touch with my GP last week as I had all of my blood work checked out 4 weeks ago based on advice on here. One of the tests was abnormal so I had a call back. I asked her if I could “discuss another matter” the DVLA questionnaire she might be sent. She went through my abnormality (iron deficiency) then told me 2 of the tests were liver bloodwork and they were ‘normal’ which really put me at ease for the CDT test albeit I have no idea what my reading will be. She also said that the questionnaire will be sent to her. People have recommended getting your GP onside and I feel I have this should it come to it - so would recommend if you are reading and worried that you do make contact with the GP and be honest about your situation in case it comes to this.

I had a couple of small binges with a friend over 2 alternative weekends end of May early June and drank at a wedding I went to 2 weeks ago (a small glass of white wine, glass and a half of prosecco and a Peroni about 4 hours later nearing the end of the night).

I’ve been supplementing with milk thistle, spirulina, cod liver oil, multi vit and vit c tabs, drinking plenty of water and loads of coffee as coffee is good for the liver but I did have 16m off booze.

Will keep you updated of progress but this really is the gift that keeps on giving and I will never get over making such a stupid error of judgement.

Last edited:
Hi all. My medical lasted 25m.
He gave me the medical questionnaire and I could hardly write as I was so anxious/nervous. I put down that I drink a bottle of wine but mentioned to him I share a bottle with my friend. I honestly don’t know what I drink as I stopped for a year and a half and only started again at the end of the last lockdown.) So he had to correct me to saying half a bottle - that frazzled me as I just thought he thought I was lying by that point. He took my weight and height. I laid on the couch bed. He asked me to pull mask down, looked at my eyes and face then felt liver region and listened to my liver and lower left chest area. Took the blood. I sat back at the desk and he flew through the final part of his questionnaire and I was done. I signed the form to give consent to contact GP for medical records.

I asked him how long it would take for the results to come in and he said the wait time had just been increased to 12 weeks.

For info: I was in touch with my GP last week as I had all of my blood work checked out 4 weeks ago based on advice on here. One of the tests was abnormal so I had a call back. I asked her if I could “discuss another matter” the DVLA questionnaire she might be sent. She went through my abnormality (iron deficiency) then told me 2 of the tests were liver bloodwork and they were ‘normal’ which really put me at ease for the CDT test albeit I have no idea what my reading will be. She also said that the questionnaire will be sent to her. People have recommended getting your GP onside and I feel I have this should it come to it - so would recommend if you are reading and worried that you do make contact with the GP and be honest about your situation in case it comes to this.

I had a couple of small binges with a friend over 2 alternative weekends end of May early June and drank at a wedding I went to 2 weeks ago (a small glass of white wine, glass and a half of prosecco and a Peroni about 4 hours later nearing the end of the night).

I’ve been supplementing with milk thistle, spirulina, cod liver oil, multi vit and vit c tabs, drinking plenty of water and loads of coffee as coffee is good for the liver but I did have 16m off booze.

Will keep you updated of progress but this really is the gift that keeps on giving and I will never get over making such a stupid error of judgement.
Did you not abstain before the medical at all reets ?

Did you not abstain before the medical at all reets ?
Didn’t that come across in my post?

I didn’t drink for just under 4 weeks bar the wedding 2 weeks ago…. Before May I was abstinent for 16 months

Last edited:
1) Date you applied for new licence: April 24th 2020
2) Date when you got the letter to book medical: Unknown
3) Date when you sent letter back to book medical: Late April 2021
4) Date of Medical: First medical 10th of May 2021, Second medical 28th June 2021
5) Date of Results and Outcome: 16th July 2021, 1 year licence

Also Please state:

1) Period of abstinence prior to actual medical:
30 months
2) Drinking habits prior to abstinence period: 1 bottle of vodka a day.

My case was extended because as well as being an alcoholic and a HRO, I also have sleep apnoea for which I'm under the care of the department of sleep medicine at the local hospital. Additionally, there were several letters between the DVLA and the sleep clinic that seemed to get 'lost' in the post. That delayed things between Sept 2020 and March 2021 at which point they started to move a bit more quickly (albeit still very slowly in comparison to how long it should have been).

I also had two medicals because the blood sample hemolyzed (red blood cells started to break down) and couldn't be tested. When I went for the second medical (which I got within a few days of calling because there was a cancellation) I was told the wait could be up to 12 weeks. In reality, I waited just under 3 weeks for my results.

In terms of what happens after a year, I'm not sure. At this stage, I haven't yet received the paperwork from the DVLA, but I can see on the website that my licence has been reinstated. I know I've got to reapply, but if the process takes longer than the expiration date on my licence I presume I have to stop driving. I suppose I'll find out next year!

I have my medical on 19.7.21 so in 2 days. I have been abstinent for nearly 6 weeks. However I have been reading in past forum messages circa 2020 and honestman stated that depending on your age you can expect further investigations by the DVLA and they will contact your GP. I am 49 and therefore full into this bracket technically. Sonfor argument sake that even if my CDT result is green it sounds like further investigations will take place. Has anyone else seen these posts? I feel deflated now and this will envitably delay matters further.

P
I have my medical on 19.7.21 so in 2 days. I have been abstinent for nearly 6 weeks. However I have been reading in past forum messages circa 2020 and honestman stated that depending on your age you can expect further investigations by the DVLA and they will contact your GP. I am 49 and therefore full into this bracket technically. Sonfor argument sake that even if my CDT result is green it sounds like further investigations will take place. Has anyone else seen these posts? I feel deflated now and this will envitably delay matters further.
I have not detected from any of the posts that any specific factor prompts further enquiries , and I’m not sure what relevance âge per se would have ? It does seem that a lot of cases involve GP follow up . From my own experience my advice is to progress chase at each stage as at every point , in my case , the DVLA claimed not to have received information that HAD been sent . So, I had to get their own Dr to resend report ,and after they had enquired of my GP, I had to get that resent . They wrote to me about 3 weeks after acknowledging receipt of their Dr report , to say they were contacting my GP. It is now almost 3 months from my medical and my case is in a queue . Everyone is different though, and I think some get dealt with quicker

1) Date you applied for new licence: April 24th 2020
2) Date when you got the letter to book medical: Unknown
3) Date when you sent letter back to book medical: Late April 2021
4) Date of Medical: First medical 10th of May 2021, Second medical 28th June 2021
5) Date of Results and Outcome: 16th July 2021, 1 year licence

Also Please state:

1) Period of abstinence prior to actual medical:
30 months
2) Drinking habits prior to abstinence period: 1 bottle of vodka a day.

My case was extended because as well as being an alcoholic and a HRO, I also have sleep apnoea for which I'm under the care of the department of sleep medicine at the local hospital. Additionally, there were several letters between the DVLA and the sleep clinic that seemed to get 'lost' in the post. That delayed things between Sept 2020 and March 2021 at which point they started to move a bit more quickly (albeit still very slowly in comparison to how long it should have been).

I also had two medicals because the blood sample hemolyzed (red blood cells started to break down) and couldn't be tested. When I went for the second medical (which I got within a few days of calling because there was a cancellation) I was told the wait could be up to 12 weeks. In reality, I waited just under 3 weeks for my results.

In terms of what happens after a year, I'm not sure. At this stage, I haven't yet received the paperwork from the DVLA, but I can see on the website that my licence has been reinstated. I know I've got to reapply, but if the process takes longer than the expiration date on my licence I presume I have to stop driving. I suppose I'll find out next year!
Congratulations
I had my medical on the 30th June. Hopefully o hear something soon 🙏

P

I have not detected from any of the posts that any specific factor prompts further enquiries , and I’m not sure what relevance âge per se would have ? It does seem that a lot of cases involve GP follow up . From my own experience my advice is to progress chase at each stage as at every point , in my case , the DVLA claimed not to have received information that HAD been sent . So, I had to get their own Dr to resend report ,and after they had enquired of my GP, I had to get that resent . They wrote to me about 3 weeks after acknowledging receipt of their Dr report , to say they were contacting my GP. It is now almost 3 months from my medical and my case is in a queue . Everyone is different though, and I think some get dealt with quicker
Apparently age seems to be a factor. The link with later life experiences, divorce, loss of job, bereavements, stress, depression and general wear and tear on one's general mental health. There must have been studies undertaken and these attributes link to ones use of alcohol as a crutch and therefore the DVLA like to investigate medical history. I bet my age will trigger further medical enquiries and they will contact my GP. Let's see.?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off