DD with child in car...

Convicted Driver Insurance

Reets

Established Member
Hi. Someone I know contacted me (as I have a conviction). She was caught around 18:30 on the weekend having driven a significant journey just as she got home and blew 137. Her child was in the back of the car. Social services were informed and came to visit her yesterday. I don't know anything about SS side of things.

Does anyone know what is likely to happen in this situation - she is beside herself she is going to lose her child... TIA

She is going to be facing a ban of 29-36 months, and with the aggravating factor of a child in the car it is likely to be at the upper end of that scale.
To drive a car at teatime whilst about 4 times the legal limit suggests that she has an alcohol problem so I suspect that (if they do not send her to prison, which is an option at 120+ readings) then she with get a community penalty to include an alcohol treatment order.
It would be good for her to consult a solicitor, or at the very least to see the duty solicitor at court on the day. That option will be free as she is at risk of custody.

I normally do not judge people on here, but in this case I have to say that she didn’t think much about her child’s welfare when she decided to drive a car when drunk, so some fear for her now is probably a good thing to make her consider what her choices with alcohol could have robbed her of........

She is going to be facing a ban of 29-36 months, and with the aggravating factor of a child in the car it is likely to be at the upper end of that scale.
To drive a car at teatime whilst about 4 times the legal limit suggests that she has an alcohol problem so I suspect that (if they do not send her to prison, which is an option at 120+ readings) then she with get a community penalty to include an alcohol treatment order.
It would be good for her to consult a solicitor, or at the very least to see the duty solicitor at court on the day. That option will be free as she is at risk of custody.

I normally do not judge people on here, but in this case I have to say that she didn’t think much about her child’s welfare when she decided to drive a car when drunk, so some fear for her now is probably a good thing to make her consider what her choices with alcohol could have robbed her of........
Thanks John -sound advice.

She's a full-time carer for her father who had a stroke a couple of years ago, it's a first offence and her child was unwell after a party so she wanted to get him home. She's terrified now of jail and/or losing her child. I don't have any idea on the SS side of things though if anyone can. help..

The fact that she is a full time carer for her father will not make any difference to her ban I’m afraid.
Unless there have been other concerns about her child then she is unlikely to have him / her taken into care. She can expect that Social Services will do a few visits and that contact will be made with the child’s school to see if there are any concerns from them.
I am also a foster carer, and you can assure her that the chances of her losing the child if this is a one off is remote, BUT she needs to address her problems.

The fact that she is a full time carer for her father will not make any difference to her ban I’m afraid.
Unless there have been other concerns about her child then she is unlikely to have him / her taken into care. She can expect that Social Services will do a few visits and that contact will be made with the child’s school to see if there are any concerns from them.
I am also a foster carer, and you can assure her that the chances of her losing the child if this is a one off is remote, BUT she needs to address her problems.
Thank you so much John. I will relay this info.

Reactions: TPR
Hiya,

You've already had the advice you need from Price but I couldn't help but express how glad I am that mum and little one are safe. I really hope they come out the other side of this x

The problem with alcohol dependency is that you don't think. Yes, every sober person knows it was idiotic to drive with a child in the car, but I know from experience that when you are this drunk you are either not capable of thinking or you are effectively in a functioning blackout.

I hope the lady gets help.

Update
She got 3 year ban, 80 hours community service and £150 court fine.

Last edited:
I was caught and blew 112 at midnight with no child in the car, no other people in the car nor damaged anything, but I ended up at the hospital nearly 2 years ago after had too much to drink( again, night time after a party -no child involved nor police involved). Will SS get involved now. Last time they did wrote me a letter, but just because hospital have informed them. Will this make my case any worst? It is a first ofence of DD and I have briliant recommendantions from work and my childminder& school. Thanks

I was caught and blew 112 at midnight with no child in the car, no other people in the car nor damaged anything, but I ended up at the hospital nearly 2 years ago after had too much to drink( again, night time after a party -no child involved nor police involved). Will SS get involved now. Last time they did wrote me a letter, but just because hospital have informed them. Will this make my case any worst? It is a first ofence of DD and I have briliant recommendantions from work and my childminder& school. Thanks
I very much doubt that there will be any involvement from Social Services over your case.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off