Court Appearance today

Convicted Driver Insurance

Paula74

Hi am in court today to see if I can have my ban reduced. I attended last year in Nov but my reduced ban was declined in court. one of the questions they asked was when was my last drink? I tend to have a a few glasses of wine a month do I mention this or do I state I last had a drink several months ago? Would it go against me if I said a few weeks ago? Am desperate to get my license back as am temping (Job) at the moment and it would be easier if I had my own transport to apply for Jobs further afield. Feeling really stressed and anxious over all this? as I don't know exactly how to respond to there questions?

Any help or advise would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you

Hi am in court today to see if I can have my ban reduced. I attended last year in Nov but my reduced ban was declined in court. one of the questions they asked was when was my last drink? I tend to have a a few glasses of wine a month do I mention this or do I state I last had a drink several months ago? Would it go against me if I said a few weeks ago? Am desperate to get my license back as am temping (Job) at the moment and it would be easier if I had my own transport to apply for Jobs further afield. Feeling really stressed and anxious over all this? as I don't know exactly how to respond to there questions?

In order for a ban to be reduced you must show the magistrate how the reduction will benefit other people. Not how it will benefit you, the ban after all is supposed to be a punishment and saying it's holding you back from applying for jobs won't mean much to a magistrate. You need to show how you having a licence will be a benefit to others. Examples of this can be providing care to a sick family member, visitation and enhancement of life of your children or how you having a licence can provide job opportunities for others.

You need to show the magistrate how you have addressed the issues in your life that led to you drink driving in the first place and satisfy them that it will not happen again. If you have a history of alcohol abuse and tell the magistrate you still drink this would not go in your favour.

What was the result?

What was the result?
Morning, They reduced my ban and they said they were going to to get in touch with the DVLA that afternoon :) I presume I just wait now for the DVLA to contact me so I can begin the process of receiving my Licence.

In order for a ban to be reduced you must show the magistrate how the reduction will benefit other people. Not how it will benefit you, the ban after all is supposed to be a punishment and saying it's holding you back from applying for jobs won't mean much to a magistrate. You need to show how you having a licence will be a benefit to others. Examples of this can be providing care to a sick family member, visitation and enhancement of life of your children or how you having a licence can provide job opportunities for others.

You need to show the magistrate how you have addressed the issues in your life that led to you drink driving in the first place and satisfy them that it will not happen again. If you have a history of alcohol abuse and tell the magistrate you still drink this would not go in your favour.
Thank you for your reply

Morning, They reduced my ban and they said they were going to to get in touch with the DVLA that afternoon :) I presume I just wait now for the DVLA to contact me so I can begin the process of receiving my Licence.
I think the best thing to do is to wait 7 days, then submit a D1 With the fee (£90) to begin the process. I would not rely on DVLA starting the process because normally they only send a D27 90 days before the end of the ban, and now technically your ban is ended as of the court date (but you cannot drive of course until the medical is completed)

I think the best thing to do is to wait 7 days, then submit a D1 With the fee (£90) to begin the process. I would not rely on DVLA starting the process because normally they only send a D27 90 days before the end of the ban, and now technically your ban is ended as of the court date (but you cannot drive of course until the medical is completed)
Any ideas how long the process will take? From sending £90 off to receiving an appointment for a medical?

Last edited:
Any ideas how long the process will take? From sending £90 off to receiving an appointment for a medical?

I sent my application in January fee taken February. I have still to receive an appointment regarding my medical.

I think the best thing to do is to wait 7 days, then submit a D1 With the fee (£90) to begin the process. I would not rely on DVLA starting the process because normally they only send a D27 90 days before the end of the ban, and now technically your ban is ended as of the court date (but you cannot drive of course until the medical is compl
I sent my application in January fee taken February. I have still to receive an appointment regarding my medical.
Oh really.....so its going to take quite sometime then?

It will take quite a while. Best outcome possible will be 7-8 weeks from when you send the application in. Could be longer according to availability of the medical where you are, plus added time if they have to contact your GP.

It will take quite a while. Best outcome possible will be 7-8 weeks from when you send the application in. Could be longer according to availability of the medical where you are, plus added time if they have to contact your GP.
`Do they contact your GP before they send you for a medical? Really confused about the process?

Generally they send you for the medical, look at the results, then consider if they need to contact your GP.

Hi there congratulations on your ban being lifted 👏 how did you go about it as I am in the same situation do you think not being able to travel to work as a mental health support worker as all the jobs are not were I am and are 12hr shift work and cannot be done by public transport and abstinence from drink for 2yrs going to AA meetings every day and my parents being in there 90s so struggling helping them and not seeing my daughter and granddaughter for months on end would get my ban lifted early thank you any advice would be helpful 😊

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off