DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Thanks @Tess1234 no I didn’t have any alcohol issue logged however I don’t know why it’s took them 7 months to issue my licence it’s was a nightmare !! Everytime I use to call they use to say that I’m on high priority until I decided to get my MP involved . All the best to everyone

Yes. In the event you are refused a licence they refund the application fee.

Hi all! Hope your keeping safe & well 🙂
So my partner lost his licence back in 2018, was a one off, young & dumb, huge mistake, will never happen again - obviously! He rarely drinks now, didn’t have any alcohol for at least 3 months before his medical, so we’ve got high hopes of him passing. Anyways he was classed as hro as his alcohol reading was like 130 or something like that.. he got 25 month ban which ended in June. Due to covid and we moved house things have been delayed. Anyways.. after finally being able to get a medical (3rd November) it’s now the waiting game. When researching time scales online it kept coming up that you should get a decision made within 15 days from medical. We’ve worked it out to be 15 working days tomorrow (there open Saturdays so we’ve classed that as a working day 🤷‍♀️😂) he’s phoned when he can but he works basically everyday, I’d phone on his behalf but didn’t no if they’d tell me anything and it takes forever to get through to a Clark so didn’t no whether to or not. Anyways, just wondered what everyone’s experiences was with the timescales .. we last phoned yesterday and they said that his case hasn’t been reviewed yet, but should be soon as they’ve had everything they need to make the decision since the 9th November, so yeah.. anyone else been in a bit of a situation like this that could shed a bit of light on our situation. Also does anyone know if it updates online, on your licence status? If so, when? And as I’ve said hes been phoning when he can, do they actually tell you on the phone whether you’ve got your licence back or not when they’ve made the decision, or do you have to wait for letter 🤦‍♀️ Thanks to anyone who is able to help! 🙂

My licence was issued 5 weeks after medical. Medical was 22/9/20. That was without GP contact too because they’d already contacted GP before my medical x

Hi all! Hope your keeping safe & well 🙂
So my partner lost his licence back in 2018, was a one off, young & dumb, huge mistake, will never happen again - obviously! He rarely drinks now, didn’t have any alcohol for at least 3 months before his medical, so we’ve got high hopes of him passing. Anyways he was classed as hro as his alcohol reading was like 130 or something like that.. he got 25 month ban which ended in June. Due to covid and we moved house things have been delayed. Anyways.. after finally being able to get a medical (3rd November) it’s now the waiting game. When researching time scales online it kept coming up that you should get a decision made within 15 days from medical. We’ve worked it out to be 15 working days tomorrow (there open Saturdays so we’ve classed that as a working day 🤷‍♀️😂) he’s phoned when he can but he works basically everyday, I’d phone on his behalf but didn’t no if they’d tell me anything and it takes forever to get through to a Clark so didn’t no whether to or not. Anyways, just wondered what everyone’s experiences was with the timescales .. we last phoned yesterday and they said that his case hasn’t been reviewed yet, but should be soon as they’ve had everything they need to make the decision since the 9th November, so yeah.. anyone else been in a bit of a situation like this that could shed a bit of light on our situation. Also does anyone know if it updates online, on your licence status? If so, when? And as I’ve said hes been phoning when he can, do they actually tell you on the phone whether you’ve got your licence back or not when they’ve made the decision, or do you have to wait for letter 🤦‍♀️ Thanks to anyone who is able to help! 🙂
With such a high reading DVLA are sure to write to his GP. They will send a questionnaire out to them, and the GP has 4 weeks to respond. DVLA will then review the whole situation which can take another week or so> If they do say they are writing to GP I would suggest he books an appointment with GP to discuss to ensure their records are up to date. If not and records show any adverse history, they could refuse the licence for 6 months if he is considered a misuser or 12 months if he is considered dependent.

Thank you both for replying :) oh okay, more time 🤦‍♀️ Didn’t realise this process took so long. Will they tell us if they contact his gp? He never goes to his doctor 😂 he doesn’t have any alcohol problems, just made a huge mistake & like many he’s paid the price for that.. he’s phoned today and they told him it still hasn’t been reviewed. They’ve told him previously that they’ve got everything they need though, so do you think they’ll defo contact the gp? Thanks again 🙂

With such a high reading DVLA are sure to write to his GP. They will send a questionnaire out to them, and the GP has 4 weeks to respond. DVLA will then review the whole situation which can take another week or so> If they do say they are writing to GP I would suggest he books an appointment with GP to discuss to ensure their records are up to date. If not and records show any adverse history, they could refuse the licence for 6 months if he is considered a misuser or 12 months if he is considered dependent.
Thank you both for replying :) oh okay, more time 🤦‍♀️Didn’t realise this process took so long. Will they tell us if they contact his gp? He never goes to his doctor 😂he doesn’t have any alcohol problems, just made a huge mistake & like many he’s paid the price for that.. he’s phoned today and they told him it still hasn’t been reviewed. They’ve told him previously that they’ve got everything they need though, so do you think they’ll defo contact the gp? Thanks again 🙂

It’s hard to say. I applied in 2018 and they contacted my GP after my medical (they wrote and told me they were doing this). I was refused my licence as I had an Amber cdt test. This time, DVLA contacted my gp before my medical and they didn’t write to tell me they’d done this (I found out when gp called me about an address change of given DVLA but not gp).
Sorry I can’t help more than this

It’s hard to say. I applied in 2018 and they contacted my GP after my medical (they wrote and told me they were doing this). I was refused my licence as I had an Amber cdt test. This time, DVLA contacted my gp before my medical and they didn’t write to tell me they’d done this (I found out when gp called me about an address change of given DVLA but not gp).
Sorry I can’t help more than this
Okay, my partner is going to phone on his next day off, again 🤦‍♀️😂 which I believe is Wednesday to see if there’s any updates, if they do want to contact his gp do you think this is something they would tell us there doing when on the phone as surely it would come up on there system saying that’s the next step or something right? Honestly any reply is brilliant and much appreciated so thank you! Just feels like we’re stuck in limbo at the moment, just want it back, so eager now haha, we can see the finish line, hope they don’t contact his gp just cause we don’t want to wait no longer, but if they do then it’s not like he has anything to hide so not worried about anything..just this waiting game.. this last little bit feels like more of a punishment than the last 2 years did 🤦‍♀️😂 thanks again 😁

Yes I think they’d tell you if they were going to but again, it’s so hard to say as I’m sure each case is individual. I may be wrong but there doesn’t seem to be any hard or fast rules.
I waited 5 weeks from date of medical to licence issue and that was without contacting GP.
I KNOW how frustrating it is, I became obsessed. 😌. You know you can check online also? The status of his licence?
mine took a week from issue to arriving as a physical licence so it’s worth looking online too

Yes I think they’d tell you if they were going to but again, it’s so hard to say as I’m sure each case is individual. I may be wrong but there doesn’t seem to be any hard or fast rules.
I waited 5 weeks from date of medical to licence issue and that was without contacting GP.
I KNOW how frustrating it is, I became obsessed. 😌. You know you can check online also? The status of his licence?
mine took a week from issue to arriving as a physical licence so it’s worth looking online too
I can’t see why they wouldn’t 😂 but god knows! I feel your pain & it’s not even my licence it’s my partners 😂 yeah we’ve been checking online, when we spoke last on the phone they did say it could take upto 48hrs to update on there but we’ve been checking daily. He’d phone daily if it didn’t take so long to get through to someone 🤦‍♀️😂 I get the current situation with covid though, everything’s delayed, less people working etc, just need to remember the end is near (I hope🤦‍♀️😂) may have good news posted next week 🤞🤞thanks again for replying! So kind 😁

Ah it’s PAINFUL. I had the added worry that I DID have history of abuse etc with GP dating back to 2012 and I hadn’t done anything to let GP know I am now teetotal. I thought cdt test would be enough evidence. So my wait was especially painful. Anyway, I got it in the end but they certainly don’t rush 😬😂

Ah it’s PAINFUL. I had the added worry that I DID have history of abuse etc with GP dating back to 2012 and I hadn’t done anything to let GP know I am now teetotal. I thought cdt test would be enough evidence. So my wait was especially painful. Anyway, I got it in the end but they certainly don’t rush 😬😂
Well I see another post on this site whilst browsing and seen someone with similar dates to us say they waited 18 days from medical to licence issued, our 18th day was today so feeling hopeful we’ll hear something this week. That sucks! It’s so daunting! 😕 well congrats for staying teetotal! You must be very proud 🥳 I Wish you all the best in life & enjoy having your licence back! 😁 & thanks again!

Hi, just to add to this thread my own experiences of the timeline.....
applied - september
medical - last week of october
licence in post today (25 nov)

didnt have any word that they consulted my GP after my medical and I abstained for 3 weeks prior to the blood test.

over the moon and looking forward to being able to hire a car and drive up to my Mum's to see her at christmas, its been a long time! (my own fault obviously, but I think we have ALL learned from the experience!)

So just wanted to update everyone. My partner got his full 10 year licence back today 🥳 been a lengthy process but we got there. He applied back in may. Ban was up end of June, we moved house in July and then there was covid so things were delayed with dvla because of that, he had a letter to book medical around September time but he was told he couldn’t book an appointment then due to covid, finally managed to get an appointment for nov 3rd, must’ve passed as he was reissued today. So glad this process is finally over and want to wish anyone in this shitty situation all the best with your process & thank anyone who answered any queries for us 😊

Can anyone advise so I finally got my licence after a very painful experience with the dvla in feb 2020 but it was a 1 year medical licence. This is due to expire at the end of feb 2021. What is the process it says on gov website dvla will contact me 90 days before it expires but this has been and gone. Also has anyone been given a 1 year licence for an alcohol issue that happened over 6 years ago and if you have been abstinent for over 2 years? Just want to know what to expect for the next round with the Dvla as I’m already stressing over it

Can anyone advise so I finally got my licence after a very painful experience with the dvla in feb 2020 but it was a 1 year medical licence. This is due to expire at the end of feb 2021. What is the process it says on gov website dvla will contact me 90 days before it expires but this has been and gone. Also has anyone been given a 1 year licence for an alcohol issue that happened over 6 years ago and if you have been abstinent for over 2 years? Just want to know what to expect for the next round with the Dvla as I’m already stressing over it
You will e sent for a medical again,I think it's free this time,take your bloods,and I think you can still drive while you are waiting, have you been sent the medical letter yet?
If you don't drink you will breeze it!

You will e sent for a medical again,I think it's free this time,take your bloods,and I think you can still drive while you are waiting, have you been sent the medical letter yet?
I got the medical questionnaires about a week ago and sent them off straight away. Yeah I have abstained so should all be straight forward fingers crossed but this is the dvla and they have made every step of this harder than it needs to be! And your right I can still drive whilst the application is going through even if it goes past the expiration date so at least it’s not as bad as it was last year

Chrism

The DVLA medical is free the second time round (after a year back on the road) as its being done at the DVLA request not yours. If there is any delay in the process second time round I believe you can still drive under Section 88 legislation if the medical process is held up through no fault of your own.

CJ

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off