Hro medical (your experiences)

Convicted Driver Insurance
this is the only realistic advise. No onebut this guy has sense.
Unfortunately, whilst ‘this guy has sense’ did make sense 2 years ago when I posted it, that advice is now out of date with the current DVLA stance on CDT scores!!!

Hello

I wanted to share a few thoughts concerning my experience of the HRO system employed by DVLA, I was also want to point out the possible pitfalls of the forms that your GP may complete.

I was a HRO and upon my first application I was classed as having Historic Alcohol Dependency so I then fell into the 'Abstinence for a year category'. I had been abstinent for around 7 months when I first applied and after submitting additional information to the DVLA I was allowed to apply early in Jan this year........ then Pandemic !!. I finally had my HRO Medical in Sept which returned a 0.6% CDT reading which was no surprise as I had been abstinent for over a year.......... now here comes the interesting bit........

My GP had ticked the yes to mental health box on the DD2 which was no surprise as I have had very mild anxiety on and off for years. I was sent a M1 form which I duly completed and my GP completed an M2. Because I do not know my doctor and as he was going from very scant notes about my Anxiety he failed to answer around 50% of the questions stating 'Do not know' etc. This then stalled the process again and after making a complaint to the DVLA concerning the lack of communication from them I received a letter indicating that I needed to have an exam with my GP in relation to Mental Health (it hinted that this was as I thought due to my GP originally failing to answer lots of the questions). My Surgery was brilliant and on the 17/11 I saw a GP in person completed the M2 which was all positive i.e. no concerns over driving etc, classed as having mild anxiety in the past but now better, no medication etc. On the 1/12 I was pleasantly surprised to find a full one year licence had been issued ( I was expecting the 1 year licence so no disappointment there). I have now been abstinent for 15 months and intend to remain that way. Below are my 'lessons learnt' and I would be more than happy to answer any questions about my experience if I can.

1. Be 100% honest with the DVLA and do not try to pull the wool over their eyes, they are astute and clever and do this for a living !!.​
2. If your GP needs to do any kind of report try and get in front of them (if you can, Covid 19 can be got around when it comes to face to face appointments).​
3. Do not presume your GP will report everything is fine and dandy if you not seen them for some time as they will always er on the side of caution and as mine did answer questions with 'Do not know' etc.​
4. Ensure that if you have to be abstinent that the date is recorded with your GP and follow up calls are made to confirm ongoing abstinence.​
5. Most importantly..... Do not give up !!, the process can be frustrating, annoying, confusing but the DVLA believe it or not want to issue you with a driving licence but your safety and that of other road users is there primary concern.​
Good luck everyone.​
Rob​

Hello

I wanted to share a few thoughts concerning my experience of the HRO system employed by DVLA, I was also want to point out the possible pitfalls of the forms that your GP may complete.

I was a HRO and upon my first application I was classed as having Historic Alcohol Dependency so I then fell into the 'Abstinence for a year category'. I had been abstinent for around 7 months when I first applied and after submitting additional information to the DVLA I was allowed to apply early in Jan this year........ then Pandemic !!. I finally had my HRO Medical in Sept which returned a 0.6% CDT reading which was no surprise as I had been abstinent for over a year.......... now here comes the interesting bit........

My GP had ticked the yes to mental health box on the DD2 which was no surprise as I have had very mild anxiety on and off for years. I was sent a M1 form which I duly completed and my GP completed an M2. Because I do not know my doctor and as he was going from very scant notes about my Anxiety he failed to answer around 50% of the questions stating 'Do not know' etc. This then stalled the process again and after making a complaint to the DVLA concerning the lack of communication from them I received a letter indicating that I needed to have an exam with my GP in relation to Mental Health (it hinted that this was as I thought due to my GP originally failing to answer lots of the questions). My Surgery was brilliant and on the 17/11 I saw a GP in person completed the M2 which was all positive i.e. no concerns over driving etc, classed as having mild anxiety in the past but now better, no medication etc. On the 1/12 I was pleasantly surprised to find a full one year licence had been issued ( I was expecting the 1 year licence so no disappointment there). I have now been abstinent for 15 months and intend to remain that way. Below are my 'lessons learnt' and I would be more than happy to answer any questions about my experience if I can.

1. Be 100% honest with the DVLA and do not try to pull the wool over their eyes, they are astute and clever and do this for a living !!.​
2. If your GP needs to do any kind of report try and get in front of them (if you can, Covid 19 can be got around when it comes to face to face appointments).​
3. Do not presume your GP will report everything is fine and dandy if you not seen them for some time as they will always er on the side of caution and as mine did answer questions with 'Do not know' etc.​
4. Ensure that if you have to be abstinent that the date is recorded with your GP and follow up calls are made to confirm ongoing abstinence.​
5. Most importantly..... Do not give up !!, the process can be frustrating, annoying, confusing but the DVLA believe it or not want to issue you with a driving licence but your safety and that of other road users is there primary concern.​
Good luck everyone.​
Rob​
Well said Dexter Sir! I have been banging on for a while about getting the GP on board, answering questions correctly etc. because as you say, these people do it for a living - it aint their first rodeo! They are fully aware of people trying to 'get away with it'. No end of people ask "How long do I have to abstain for to pass the CDT?" or "I had 11 pints last Tuesday and my medical is tomorrow, will I be OK?"

It is a change of lifestyle that is needed by some, but they cannot see it yet. Yes by doing the bare minimum, some people will get through the system, but a lot of people won't! And if they do get through, the main issue isn't resolved and they are statistically more likely to reoffend.

I'm glad you finally got the good news. I too was initially refused my licence back because an over zealous Doctor at my GP surgery put that I was dependent. My GP was brilliant and went mad at her colleague for not asking her about me. She wrote to the DVLA and they eventually returned my licence (I too was delayed by the pandemic), but perseverance and truthfulness gets there in the end!!

Big Tom,

I think my biggest learning from this whole event (apart from being an idiot in the first place) is Be honest to the DVLA but more importantly be honest to yourself....... here endeth the lesson.
Couldn’t agree more, had an almost identical journey myself. Even the dates! Applied January but didn’t get medical until September. I had also applied previously but been refused.
Good advice and congratulations!!!!

Dexterdog

Very interesting reading your story. I can relate to some of the things you've said. I've recently been for my HRO medical and declared mental health issues too.

The thing is - excess drinking or alcohol dependancy leads to mental health issues like anxiety and depression. For me, this like two bites of the same cherry when trying to be honest with the DVLA.

I'm just playing a waiting game now - I'm at least content to know I haven't hidden any remaining skeletons in my wardrobe, but it does feel to me that the DVLA should at least define mental health issues a bit better.

For example, they may be dealing with an applicant with Bipolar or Autism which are both nothing related to alcohol or drug use.

CJ

CJ

Totally agree with your comments. If you refer to the DVLA Medical of Standards For Fitness To Drive, Mild Anxiety / Depressive Illness does not require notification to the DVLA with no restrictions on driving for Group 1, in fact it is one of the only conditions in the whole document (which I have become a bit of a student of) that shows as 'Green'. Whilst accepting that alcohol misuse / dependence is often linked to mental health issues I agree that there seems to be a two bites of the cherry approach. I think in my case things were prolonged due to my GP not completing the M2 fully but I think this comes down to education of everyone in the process. I actually went and saw a GP before I applied for my licence last year to check about Anxiety and he actually said that there was no need to include this condition with my application as if everyone in the UK disclosed some form of anxiety then nobody would be driving.

Finally I feel the Courts, DVLA, GP's etc could provide more information about things like Alcohol Dependence / Misuse, Mental health issues and the effect these may have on applications following disqualification / revocation. Perhaps the companies that provide the DD Awareness Courses could include this as part of the syllabus as in my case the course only touched on the HRO process briefly and everything I have found out since has been trial and error, researching the internet and resources such as this web site.

Dexter Dog

Dexterdog

I definately agree with the approach that both Courts and the course providers should provide better understanding about HRO awareness - almost like ensuring the banned driver can set their stall out from start.

When I did my TTC course I can't remember any great imput about the HRO process, as many of the people who attended my course were not HROs. They have the convenience of simply applying for their licence at the end of the ban and getting reinstated on the road.

My TTC course did have some awareness material about alcohol units and at the end of the course the trainer kindly told everyone about implementing sensibility to their drinking and using extreme caution. Unfortunately, as an HRO, we should not be drinking alcohol anyway, so I did find this aspect somewhat misleading.

CJ

Dexterdog

I definately agree with the approach that both Courts and the course providers should provide better understanding about HRO awareness - almost like ensuring the banned driver can set their stall out from start.

When I did my TTC course I can't remember any great imput about the HRO process, as many of the people who attended my course were not HROs. They have the convenience of simply applying for their licence at the end of the ban and getting reinstated on the road.

My TTC course did have some awareness material about alcohol units and at the end of the course the trainer kindly told everyone about implementing sensibility to their drinking and using extreme caution. Unfortunately, as an HRO, we should not be drinking alcohol anyway, so I did find this aspect somewhat misleading.

CJ

i had no idea about the medical side of things being so in depth, medical records, factors linked to alcohol, mental health etc it’s simply something you never think about when you are stood in court.

even 6 months into my ban I knew of a “medical” but presumed this was eye test and fitness to drive in terms of physical health not mental health.

the DDC there was myself and one other HRO, the chap who did the course was due up to retirement and had been doing this courses the best part of 20 years, had famous celebrities in his courses, footballers, actors/actresses. And briefly said about the medical “90% of people will pass the medical without any issues, unless something is drastically wrong”, This was a comfort until I read these forums.........

However I’ve said it before and say it again, there does feel to be some scaremongering at times and also peoples stories who we don’t know 100% what happened and skeletons in closets and back stories, we never hear lots of the “straight forward medical cases” which makes me think there is a lot lot more successful people regaining their licenses than the DVLA refusing licenses.

“90% of people will pass the medical without any issues, unless something is drastically wrong”,
He was right!
I think the last time I looked there were about 15,000 HRO’s a year. 10% would be 1500 people having problems. People often come on here because they are having problems, the other 90% are straightforward.......
That is still a big amount though!

At my ttc course,I openly admitted when asked what was your favourite tipple, I replied vodka
Ok what brand etc.I replied back then any old cheap s$%t that I could get down my neck!
After the room settled (it was funny) there was no mention of any levels of abstinence or lft tests by the gp!
Only on the last day did a lady who stood in for the facilitator said to everyone..Dont drink for a month before your medical!

At my ttc course,I openly admitted when asked what was your favourite tipple, I replied vodka
Ok what brand etc.I replied back then any old cheap s$%t that I could get down my neck!
After the room settled (it was funny) there was no mention of any levels of abstinence or lft tests by the gp!
Only on the last day did a lady who stood in for the facilitator said to everyone..Dont drink for a month before your medical!

On my course there was a lady who clearly was struggling with alcohol. I suspect she was in her 50s but looked older because of her 'lifestyle'.

When the course trainer mentioned on the first day that he had a breathalyser that he could use if need be, this lady clearly panicked and tried to self detox.

Come the second day, she came into the course but was shaking and was not in a good way. The trainer ended up ringing her daughter to come and collect her and she never returned.

I don't know if this is classed as an automatic fail or whether she would be allowed to do the course again? The trainer did comment afterwards that this lady needed to focus on herself and address her medical problems before she could consider driving again.

CJ

Let us know
Hello... wanted to update my progress re DL application

1) Date you applied for new licence: 20th September
2) Date when you got the letter to book medical: I didn’t- the drs surgery who were doing hro medicals called me as they received paperwork first
3) Date when you sent letter back to book medical:
4) Date of Medical: 26th October
5) Date of Results and Outcome: 7th December (ban ended 5th December) Emailed Tim Burton as hadn’t heard anything and received a phone call same day informing me of full DL reissued. CDT result was 0.8%

Also Please state:

1) Period of abstinence prior to actual medical Date: 5 weeks
2) Drinking habits prior to abstinence period: 8 units a month over 2 weekends

massive weight off my shoulders- now just need to get insurance lord help me!

thank you everyone on the forum. There is some sage advice on here. Good luck to everyone awaiting their DLs!

Hello... wanted to update my progress re DL application

1) Date you applied for new licence: 20th September
2) Date when you got the letter to book medical: I didn’t- the drs surgery who were doing hro medicals called me as they received paperwork first
3) Date when you sent letter back to book medical:
4) Date of Medical: 26th October
5) Date of Results and Outcome: 7th December (ban ended 5th December) Emailed Tim Burton as hadn’t heard anything and received a phone call same day informing me of full DL reissued. CDT result was 0.8%

Also Please state:

1) Period of abstinence prior to actual medical Date: 5 weeks
2) Drinking habits prior to abstinence period: 8 units a month over 2 weekends

massive weight off my shoulders- now just need to get insurance lord help me!

thank you everyone on the forum. There is some sage advice on here. Good luck to everyone awaiting their DLs!
Congratulations on the DL .. I had mine on Saturday so a long wait still for me for results

Iambanned

That's great news. I am in order to ask if you declared anything to the HRO doctor about your medical history?

I had my HRO medical on the 19th November - no update yet. I did answer 'yes' to some of his questions which I assume will mean the DVLA will contact my GP.

CJ

Iambanned

That's great news. I am in order to ask if you declared anything to the HRO doctor about your medical history?

I had my HRO medical on the 19th November - no update yet. I did answer 'yes' to some of his questions which I assume will mean the DVLA will contact my GP.

CJ
I answered yes to the mental health question- however my anxiety was related to being in police custody and loss of job as a result of my disqualification. This was resolved well before the medical and stopped taking meds in January this year, made sure was documented in my medical notes. The gp who did my hro medical confirmed that DVLA would have written to my gp as matter of course.
Ah hope you hear something soon from medical. Everything crossed for you!

Iambanned

CJ
Hi CJ,the franchised doctor very briefly asked me about mental health, I answered "I better say yes as I'm on a low dose of mirtazapine for mild anxiety "
When asked how much..15,30,45mg I replied that although I'm prescribed 30mg I only take half,it seemed insignificant to him and I'm sure it won't have any effect on relicencing, I think I asked the question..
Rang this morning for an update..dvla have the doctors report but still waiting for the blood results, hopefully they will have them this week as it will be 2 weeks on Thursday!

Hi CJ,the franchised doctor very briefly asked me about mental health, I answered "I better say yes as I'm on a low dose of mirtazapine for mild anxiety "
When asked how much..15,30,45mg I replied that although I'm prescribed 30mg I only take half,it seemed insignificant to him and I'm sure it won't have any effect on relicencing, I think I asked the question..
Rang this morning for an update..dvla have the doctors report but still waiting for the blood results, hopefully they will have them this week as it will be 2 weeks on Thursday!

Chrism2800

Did you ring the general 0300 number for the DVLA medical team?

My medical was three weeks ago this coming Thursday so I'm tempted to give them a tinckle.

CJ

Chrism2800

Did you ring the general 0300 number for the DVLA medical team?

My medical was three weeks ago this coming Thursday so I'm tempted to give them a tinckle.

CJ
I'd ring em, I rang em on day 19 day 21 licence

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off