Failed CDT medicals?

Convicted Driver Insurance
thinking of telling the truth and waiting another 12 months. Although im thinking of booking into a private clinic to get a test done first. I dont know what to do really. My conscience is playing havoc with me which is normally not a good sign.
Dude, booking into a private clinic for a test is not going to solve the situation. Admitting the problem is the first (and hardest) step. If you don't seek help now and apply for your licence, there is a (small) chance you might get your licence back. Without addressing your issues, this is the WORST thing that could happen. At best, you might carry on for a while and maybe get caught DD again, at worst you might kill somebody.....

Cancel your medical and get some help. Try AA, try CBT, try anything - but don't try to get your licence back. I promise you, if you get the booze sorted, you will be a better person for it. I know it's not easy but it is a necessity.

Get your GP's help, get them to refer you to whatever they can. Get them to record your date of last drink and ask for regular LFT tests. This will help in the long run with your application. The GP is one of the best tools in helping people get their licence back, hopefully they may help you get your life back also.

People here are not going to judge you, they will try to help you. We have all got a back story regarding booze, some are quite scary stories, coming to this forum is a great starting point and having that niggling conscience shows that you are not just playing a game, you appear to be genuine.

I really wish you the best!

My advice would be to simply not drink at all for a good period of time leading up to your medical.

I was 14 weeks prior and CDT was 0.5. I like a drink just like the rest of us, but getting my licence back meant so much more, so I was able to just cut it out.

If your not able to, then there’s maybe questions to be asked 🤷‍♂️
Does the medical consist of a drug test as well? Just worried as I like a smoke every now and then so wondering if I will have to go T total for it 🤔

My advice would be to simply not drink at all for a good period of time leading up to your medical.

I was 14 weeks prior and CDT was 0.5. I like a drink just like the rest of us, but getting my licence back meant so much more, so I was able to just cut it out.

If your not able to, then there’s maybe questions to be asked 🤷‍♂️
How was it 0.5 if you had not drank for 14 weeks??

Price1367 did you not post this 4 years ago?
I'm not advocating 1.7 is a pass,as a letter dvla wrongly sent me stating I'd passed my medical with a CDT of 0.8,when in fact I hadn't even had a medical, also stated 1.7 or below shows no recent excess alcohol within the last month.. or any alcohol btw...1 or less seems to be the common denominator,or 1.3 according to another post..
Also how long after a medical do you get a decision?
Many thanks,chrism2800

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201126-075252_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201126-075252_Gallery.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 17
Since that post 4 years ago DVLA have shifted from their stance of 2.2% CDT or under is a pass, 2.3-2.9% amber with further enquiries and 3.0% or above is a fail.
The result has to be read in conjunction with the details on the medical form and it is possible for someone to produce a result of 1.7% who do not drink but the explanation can be in the medical disclosure of a health problem such as liver disease not related to actual alcohol consumption.
These days 1.7% would trigger further enquiries with the GP. If the person is found to have been alcohol dependent then DVLA will not grant a licence if the result was 1.0% or higher and will require evidence of abstention.
I suppose someone could challenge the remit that DVLA seem to have adopted of not just looking at alcohol issues in the past couple of years but going back 6 years and demanding abstention for those diagnosed as alcohol dependent but the wording of their remit is woolly,just saying ‘necessary enquiries’ so you would need big pockets and a lot of legal research to try that!

The result of the medical will be known to DVLA within a week, but then you enter the grey area.... it may take another week or more for them to review it and decide if they are going to write to the GP. (They dont seem to notify the driver of this, but will say if you ask) The GP used to have 6 weeks to reply before they are chased for a reply but is seems that this has been extended to 12 weeks because of doctor workload due to the current situation.
I would advocate making enquiries with DVLA 2 weeks or a bit more after the medical if nothing is received (some people, strangely, do receive their licence in that time frame even now) If the result shows that the GP is being written to, contact the GP and either arrange an appointment to discuss the form (if the GP is offering appointments atm) or to ask that it is completed asap.

Since that post 4 years ago DVLA have shifted from their stance of 2.2% CDT or under is a pass, 2.3-2.9% amber with further enquiries and 3.0% or above is a fail.
The result has to be read in conjunction with the details on the medical form and it is possible for someone to produce a result of 1.7% who do not drink but the explanation can be in the medical disclosure of a health problem such as liver disease not related to actual alcohol consumption.
These days 1.7% would trigger further enquiries with the GP. If the person is found to have been alcohol dependent then DVLA will not grant a licence if the result was 1.0% or higher and will require evidence of abstention.
I suppose someone could challenge the remit that DVLA seem to have adopted of not just looking at alcohol issues in the past couple of years but going back 6 years and demanding abstention for those diagnosed as alcohol dependent but the wording of their remit is woolly,just saying ‘necessary enquiries’ so you would need big pockets and a lot of legal research to try that!

The result of the medical will be known to DVLA within a week, but then you enter the grey area.... it may take another week or more for them to review it and decide if they are going to write to the GP. (They dont seem to notify the driver of this, but will say if you ask) The GP used to have 6 weeks to reply before they are chased for a reply but is seems that this has been extended to 12 weeks because of doctor workload due to the current situation.
I would advocate making enquiries with DVLA 2 weeks or a bit more after the medical if nothing is received (some people, strangely, do receive their licence in that time frame even now) If the result shows that the GP is being written to, contact the GP and either arrange an appointment to discuss the form (if the GP is offering appointments atm) or to ask that it is completed asap.
Dvla have my gp's information prior to my medical (Today),as I ticked yes to misuse and also mental health due to being on a mild dose of mirtazapine, so I'm hoping once they get the blood results I will be issued a licence, albeit 12 months if necessary.
I've got 2 good lft results under my belt,plus a stop drinking date,just hoping they don't wish to write to my gp again,as I have to wrongly pay for that information personally!
I will post any further information on this forum to help anyone else
Thankyou for all your advice on here...hoping I won't need it again!

Does the medical consist of a drug test as well? Just worried as I like a smoke every now and then so wondering if I will have to go T total for it 🤔

They don’t test for drugs, not at the CDT one anyway, but they certainly ask about drugs during the questionnaire.

Chief

As Price1367 has said, I don't think anyone can get a reading of 0.0% - it is virtually impossible!

I think the lowest reading I'm aware of is 0.4%.

CJ

Yes that’s the lowest I’ve seen (on here anyway) so 0.5 is pretty much as low as it gets generally.

For the record, and it’s a question I raised myself, but I did have a few nights of alcohol free drinks. Becks blue and the kopperberg ciders. Just in case anyone was worried about that - they clearly don’t even touch the sides.

The only advice I am going to offer is that you should face up to your problems with alcohol and address them.
You have been done for drink driving,
You ignored the legal requirement to not drive whilst banned
Now, faced with the process to get your licence back, you have gone on a 3 week binge...... and you are asking if you can get away with lying on the medical!
Take responsibility for your own actions and do not seek to drive and put others at risk until you have.
Well said, a bit of a worry that people think it's ok to blag a test like this

Manny

You need to be very wary of any controlled substances you use. My own suggestion would be too stay clear of drugs full stop!!!!

To the best of my knowledge, the CDT blood test does not focus on drug use. However, when the blood is analysed you need to be mindful that the DVLA laboratory may detect drug use in your system and this will open up another can of worms with the DVLA.

Do not forget - drugs stay in the human body a lot longer than alcohol. Even the occasional cannabis joint can show up in your system months later!!!!

CJ

I had a Medichecks CDT test in mid July 2021 and it came back at 0.20%.

I haven't drank since July 2019 and don't really drink fruit juice which Price1367 mentioned.

The last time the Medichecks result and the DVLA result were exactly the same at 0.7% with about 9 months abstinence.

I do however think that your own metabolism has a lot to do with achieving low results in conjunction with a period of abstinence.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off