Hro medical (your experiences)

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi, does your driving status change on the website if you have been refused or if you have been given your license back? Thanks

Hi, does your driving status change on the website if you have been refused or if you have been given your license back? Thanks
Also I have checked online and this has happened
We couldn’t display your driving licence details with the information you gave us.
Here are other ways to view or share your driving licence information
Online using GOV.UK Verify
You can access this service by using GOV.UK Verify. GOV.UK Verify is a new way to verify your identity, so you can access online government services safely.
GOV.UK Verify image

Also I have checked online and this has happened
We couldn’t display your driving licence details with the information you gave us.
Here are other ways to view or share your driving licence information
Online using GOV.UK Verify
You can access this service by using GOV.UK Verify. GOV.UK Verify is a new way to verify your identity, so you can access online government services safely.
GOV.UK Verify image

did you change your address on your new application?

Hi Calm, don’t panic the Gov.UK website periodically does that. I thought the same when I was checking, then when I called the DVLA they said there was no change and it was still being processed

Good Afternoon,

i thought id give my experience as theres a lot of unnecessary scaremongering on this forum from people i believe aren’t truthful about how much they actually drink and how long they’ve abstained for. Im a weekend binge drinker and quite heavily (according to doctors and dvla) some weekends, 8/9 pints of lager on Friday, same again on Saturday and roughly 3-4 pints on a Sunday, i rarely drink through the week and if i do its normally 2 pints on Thursday after footballing.

my 8 month ban ended 12.09.20
received my letter to make my medical appointment on 21.08.20
That was a Friday, i had been out straight from work, roughly drank 6 pints, then went out Saturday for some food and had another 5 pints. Didn't drink on the Sunday.
Booked my medical on 24.08.20
medical date 10.09.20
the following weekend was the bank holiday, i drank roughly 9 pints on the Saturday. 12 days before my medical.
i then drank 2 pints and a small glass of red wine on the Saturday before my medical, which was on the Thursday.
Medical took 15 minutes, i told him my last drink was the bank holiday Saturday. Told him i drank 6 pints, told him i drank anywhere between 6-10 pints per weekend, 3 out 4 weekends a month, so roughly more than 6 units (or whatever it was) around 35 times a year.
Now obviously i bent the truth with it but its because i truly do not believe i have any issue with my alcohol intake, im a 28 year old male, i work hard through the week, im very active in my work and in my hobbies. The DVLA are so black and white about what they think makes you an alcoholic.
during the medical he measured, weighed, took blood pressure, eye sight, pressed down on my liver quite firmly then took my bloods. He was a miserable **** who didnt give anything away.

i then spent every minute in constant worry. Ringing the DVLA and checking online, in the end i thought bollocks to it. I flew out to Corfu on the 20.09. I sent Tim Burton an email on the 24.09. 2 weeks on from my medical, explaining i was away and i wanted to be informed of my decision by phone as I needed to know asap in regards to my job.
20 minutes later a very friendly woman rang me who had seen the email, and told me I’ve been issued a full 10 year licence.
Absolute weight of my shoulders, and i thought id share it with this group. All i did was cut down my intake 16 days prior, still had the odd drink here and there and i passed without any problems. Dont get your head down and dont spend hours scrawling through this website cos it makes it 10x worse!
i hope this helps someone out, who is panicking like i did.
Good luck

Hi all - repost from other thread.

First-time offender here who's 6-month reduction was entirely swallowed by COVID... shit happens.

I actually applied in January as there was a problem with my previous application, which I had failed due to medication complications (I had been taking a lot of heavy anti-anxiety meds) and not alcohol. So I had a load of GP tests done which they were going to accept, then they decided that they didn't like that idea after all, so had to do another paid medical, by which time we were into lockdown. Anyway I got the letter telling me to arrange during late August, but only after I'd successfully involved my local MP (well worth doing if you feel you're at the back of the queue... there is one, and after 6 months of them twiddling their thumbs, eating cakes, and admiring each others sandals and dragon underpants from a 2m distance, it is long).

8th Sept was my medical (earliest they could do), license received this morning 26th.

So very fast, once you get the medical lined up. Hope this helps... happy sober motoring!!

Got my license back from tomorrow.
Could be a stupid question but I assume that all I need to do to drive now is to get insurance right? (I’ve already sorted it) just want to make sure there’s nothing else I need.

Could be a stupid question but I assume that all I need to do to drive now is to get insurance right? (I’ve already sorted it) just want to make sure there’s nothing else I need.

Ahh, well you haven’t forgotten the vehicle? So lone as you remembered that you should be good to go.....!

Congratulations 👏

Good Afternoon,

i thought id give my experience as theres a lot of unnecessary scaremongering on this forum from people i believe aren’t truthful about how much they actually drink and how long they’ve abstained for. Im a weekend binge drinker and quite heavily (according to doctors and dvla) some weekends, 8/9 pints of lager on Friday, same again on Saturday and roughly 3-4 pints on a Sunday, i rarely drink through the week and if i do its normally 2 pints on Thursday after footballing.

my 8 month ban ended 12.09.20
received my letter to make my medical appointment on 21.08.20
That was a Friday, i had been out straight from work, roughly drank 6 pints, then went out Saturday for some food and had another 5 pints. Didn't drink on the Sunday.
Booked my medical on 24.08.20
medical date 10.09.20
the following weekend was the bank holiday, i drank roughly 9 pints on the Saturday. 12 days before my medical.
i then drank 2 pints and a small glass of red wine on the Saturday before my medical, which was on the Thursday.
Medical took 15 minutes, i told him my last drink was the bank holiday Saturday. Told him i drank 6 pints, told him i drank anywhere between 6-10 pints per weekend, 3 out 4 weekends a month, so roughly more than 6 units (or whatever it was) around 35 times a year.
Now obviously i bent the truth with it but its because i truly do not believe i have any issue with my alcohol intake, im a 28 year old male, i work hard through the week, im very active in my work and in my hobbies. The DVLA are so black and white about what they think makes you an alcoholic.
during the medical he measured, weighed, took blood pressure, eye sight, pressed down on my liver quite firmly then took my bloods. He was a miserable **** who didnt give anything away.

i then spent every minute in constant worry. Ringing the DVLA and checking online, in the end i thought bollocks to it. I flew out to Corfu on the 20.09. I sent Tim Burton an email on the 24.09. 2 weeks on from my medical, explaining i was away and i wanted to be informed of my decision by phone as I needed to know asap in regards to my job.
20 minutes later a very friendly woman rang me who had seen the email, and told me I’ve been issued a full 10 year licence.
Absolute weight of my shoulders, and i thought id share it with this group. All i did was cut down my intake 16 days prior, still had the odd drink here and there and i passed without any problems. Dont get your head down and dont spend hours scrawling through this website cos it makes it 10x worse!
i hope this helps someone out, who is panicking like i did.
Good luck

thank you so much for this! I have not be done for drinking driving however I have a pre existing neurological condition DVLA decide they want to review every three years (I’m fit and healthy like any other) however my neuro took too long to reply so they asked me to see my gp. Dvla tried to revoke my license by stating id not booked an appointment to go to the gp even though I’d already attended the appointment - a few weeks later I get the alcohol questionnaire through the post and they’d finally received the gp and the neuros reports, I rarely see my gp, see neuro team twice a year. But I know there’s a letter that said I drank upto 2/3 bottles of wine one week - doesn’t say how regular.
This all started September 2019... I need my license back for a job I applied for that requires it.

i attended the medical on Tuesday just gone. I abstained two weeks before and the six months prior to that I drank14 units or under with the exception of 4 weeks where it was a max of 18. I’ve gone through all the crap on the internet1000s of
Times and I just can’t stop worrying ! I know everyone’s bloods are different, just now wishing I’d stopped in March when I first got the letter and completely abstained!
Sorry for my life story!

Last edited:
Hi All,

Was just wondering if someone could answer a few questions i have, from your past experiences.

My ban officially ended June 17th, and i have been putting off re-applying for my licence since then. I have the form and it's ready to send.

Firstly, the £90 payment you have to send to the DVLA along with your licence application, how did you guys send the payment? I don't have a cheque book, is there anywhere i can pay online or call them and pay over the phone?

Secondly, if i can get a medical booked, i am really concerned about my past history, probably the only times i have visited my GP has been to do with depression, and related alcohol misuse. There i would expect, be a number of records indicating dependency, drinking too much to cope etc.

The good news, i have been sober as a judge since January 10th this year, so over 9 months now.

When i go for my medical, were you all brutally honest with that GP & the questionnaire?

I guess, as money is tight, i have been delaying sending back my application as i dont want £90 for the application, a further £90 for the medical to all go down the drain, in case they request my records from my GP, and all these past records emerge, and they deny me a licence until i am 12 months sober.......should i wait until 12 months have passed, inform my GP of this, and then apply?

Should i go ahead now, and not be as truthful with my answers, as my past is my past, and i am well and truly not dependent, or have any alcohol now?

Or should i apply, be 100% truthful about my past history with alcohol, state where i am now, run the risk of them contacting my GP, and make the whole process even longer but be satisfied in the fact that i have been honest.

Any thoughts, opinions, and past similar experiences would be really appreciated.

Thanks
I had past history on my medical notes they asked for the last 6 years off my doc after my medical , which was noted as 30 units year 1 , 30 year 2, 35 year 3 , 20 year 4 ,16 year 5 and 14 units this year down to 0 units 2 months before my medical . Down load the nhs app then ring ur doctors to say you want to see your medical notes on the app , you will need to fill a form in sign it and prove id before you can but then you can see what is noted against you .

Hi all.

Just completed my medical.

The doctor asked me the questions i.e alcohol intake to begin with which was to be expected.

He then got me on the table and pressed all over my stomach.

He checked my reflexes with my legs. Queried a scar I have on my knee (which was from 2 operations due to football injuries)

He checked my heart and pulse and looked inside my mouth.

He got me sitting up and asked me to stretch my arms wide apart, close my eyes and bring my index finger in to touch my nose. He then brought his index finger out and asked me to follow it firstly with my eyes, and then hold my index finger out and follow his back and forward touching it when he stopped. His movements got quicker and quicker.

After all of that, he asked me to complete another questionnaire re alcohol intake but did say this would have no impact on the final result. The questions were very similar to the questions he asked, so I suspect they are looking for inconsistencies in answers, even although he said it won’t affect the result.

He took my doctors details but didn’t ask for my consent. I presume he just ok for granted my consent was ok. Which it is.

A combination of checking for swelling I suspect around the stomach. Ulcers etc about the mouth and reflexes with the legs and arms. Clearly signs around those checks which would dictate excess drinking.

Full credit to the doctor though, he was really nice. Told me my bloods will be with DVLA tomorrow and paperwork sent first class Monday.

After all that, I paid HIM 😂

Hope this helps anyone reading. Literally just out the practice.

I’ve went 15 weeks without a drink. Not a heavy drinker to be fair in general, and am probably reasonably fit and healthy.

My advice to anyone would be to stay off the drink for a good while before your licence can be renewed. Gives me the fear reading people’s last drink was a week or two before the medical.

So called DVLA today just to make sure they have received my medical report/bloods.

She advised everything has arrived and they have written to my GP today.

I’ll call GP tomorrow and beg them to deal ASAP.

Quite a quick turnaround to be fair considering my medical was on Friday and they’ve already written out to the GP.

So called DVLA today just to make sure they have received my medical report/bloods.

She advised everything has arrived and they have written to my GP today.

I’ll call GP tomorrow and beg them to deal ASAP.

Quite a quick turnaround to be fair considering my medical was on Friday and they’ve already written out to the GP.
That is exceptionally quick. I had my medical last Monday - called today and they have not received my Blood Test results. I am now concerned that i will have to go back and do another test.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off