Medical Today

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi Guys, I have my medical today and have been scaring myself stupid now reading this forum.

My ban was up Feb 2019 and I have only just now got round to getting my medical sorted. I had a battle with depression and drinking for a while so couldn't go through with the renewals at the time.

I did go through dependency and detox 15 months ago and have been completely alcohol free since then. Also sorted out the depression through rigorous counselling etc and am now 100 times healthier in all ways.

Today is the medical and I know my CDT levels will be low after 15 months of abstinence. I also have absolutely no desire or intention to drink again, I have no cravings or even a want for alcohol. In fact, it makes me feel sick even the thought of it.

I'm worried about the GP part. My record is littered with notes about drinking, including misuse and dependency. Having said that, the GP also knows I've been alcohol free since May 2019 and that I've followed all treatments and counselling to the letter.

It's the 'evidence' bit that frightens me now, because I have not had routine blood tests over the past 15 months so does that mean I'll not be issued with even a temp licence? What are your experiences of that? Specifically if you've been dependent?

If it has to be another year with routine bloods, I'll be sad but will accept it because I really do want my licence back to move forward positively and just get on with an alcohol free, happier life.

Thanks again to you all, you're such a great bunch of people.

Cannot understand why you did not get the bloods done but its a little late now,GP has documented everything and your CDT levels should be fine.Good luck (y)

Medical went well. It took all of 15 mins to check height, weight, stomach and chest sounds and for pain, then bloods. He said he felt from his point of view there are no issues, it is down to the bloods. I haven't had any alcohol since May 2019 so they ought to be fine.

:)

Are you a HRO ? If so DVLA will write out to your GP for information regarding your alcohol issues, on confirmation of your dependence then you will be subjected to the DVLA alcohol dependence process which is "I'm sure you know by now" the 12 months of abstination followed with your medical evidence for a year , however if you have been dry since May 19 then once DVLA write out to you with a refusal/revocation then you can send all your medical evidence via your GP to DVLA further medical evidence where they will look at your case again to see if in fact that you can supply enough medical evidence, either way this will take some time so be prepared for the long haul, and just to clarify some folk seem to think DVLA issue a temp licence while being investigated, be in no doubt that temp licences are ONLY issued once you have supplied the DVLA with all medical evidence and gone through their rigourus testing procedures......just to add if you have been treated for depression "as you state " then DVLA will investigate this issue separately hopefully to find you are stable now, depression&anxiety can also carry a revocation or refusal, they will write out to your GP with an M1 for clarification on your mental health and medication you are or have been prescribed, usually drinking, depression and anxiety go hand in hand so the first form DVLA usually send out to the GP will include questions about alcohol issues and depression&anxiety......

Last edited:
Update.

As of Monday, the DVLA had both my blood results and forms from the DVLA doctor.

I sent an email to Tim Burton to request a further update today and to explain the time its taken to get to this point. I get a secure email from DVLA medical group to explain that they have today written out to my GP.

So looks like I'm in for the long haul wait before they send it via snail mail and then for the GP to complete it and send it back.

I've asked to have a conversation with the GP to go through it.

Update.

As of Monday, the DVLA had both my blood results and forms from the DVLA doctor.

I sent an email to Tim Burton to request a further update today and to explain the time its taken to get to this point. I get a secure email from DVLA medical group to explain that they have today written out to my GP.

So looks like I'm in for the long haul wait before they send it via snail mail and then for the GP to complete it and send it back.

I've asked to have a conversation with the GP to go through it.

hi what did you say in questionnaire about drinking for them to contact your GP may i ask ?

hi what did you say in questionnaire about drinking for them to contact your GP may i ask ?

I was honest and said I had had treatment for alcohol detox in May 2019, that my last drink was may 2019 and I do not drink anything at all anymore. There is also mental health history. (Depression)

I've also now just found out that the blood sample I gave was too old to process at the lab by the time it got there, so DVLA have rejected it.

Got to have another one IF the GP medical notes don't mess everything up and they reject my application outright anyway.

I was honest and said I had had treatment for alcohol detox in May 2019, that my last drink was may 2019 and I do not drink anything at all anymore. There is also mental health history. (Depression)

I've also now just found out that the blood sample I gave was too old to process at the lab by the time it got there, so DVLA have rejected it.

Got to have another one IF the GP medical notes don't mess everything up and they reject my application outright anyway.
I'm in the same situation, had to email Tim Burton to get a response to which they said they have written to my GP,and I also stated previous misuse and because I'm on mirtazapine, then yes to mental health issues..I feel fine,anxiety because of the wait time!!
Now after ringing the surgery the receptionist said the GP doesn't usually contact the patient (me) when writing back!!
My previous GP said he would!
I asked them to contact me for me to what information they were sending back to dvla!
The receptionist said dvla have to pay first for the information!!
It just gets worse!!
Do the dvla pay first, or is it on receipt of the evidence??

I'm in the same situation, had to email Tim Burton to get a response to which they said they have written to my GP,and I also stated previous misuse and because I'm on mirtazapine, then yes to mental health issues..I feel fine,anxiety because of the wait time!!
Now after ringing the surgery the receptionist said the GP doesn't usually contact the patient (me) when writing back!!
My previous GP said he would!
I asked them to contact me for me to what information they were sending back to dvla!
The receptionist said dvla have to pay first for the information!!
It just gets worse!!
Do the dvla pay first, or is it on receipt of the evidence??
I have no idea about payment to be honest but I've got a telephone appointment with the GP on Monday to go through it and hopefully fill it out together over the phone. I just don't want it delayed by GP taking forever to reply but so far the GP has replied to me really quickly so hopefully that won't be the case.

Then, depending on what the DVLA make of the GP form, I will have to have a CDT again because of the issue with the blood sample.

Bit of an update. Had my 2nd medical on the 22nd Oct to repeat the blood test.

After a lot of apologies for the previous test being invalid, I was in the doctors office for less than 5 mins whilst a new sample was taken.

Now it is back to waiting for results to be communicated with the DVLA and for them to let me know. I've been told that my case is on a high priority but what that actually means, I don't know.

The GP forms confirmed my last drink was May 2019 so that has made me feel a bit better.

Wait and see.

Hi Guys, I have my medical today and have been scaring myself stupid now reading this forum.

My ban was up Feb 2019 and I have only just now got round to getting my medical sorted. I had a battle with depression and drinking for a while so couldn't go through with the renewals at the time.

I did go through dependency and detox 15 months ago and have been completely alcohol free since then. Also sorted out the depression through rigorous counselling etc and am now 100 times healthier in all ways.

Today is the medical and I know my CDT levels will be low after 15 months of abstinence. I also have absolutely no desire or intention to drink again, I have no cravings or even a want for alcohol. In fact, it makes me feel sick even the thought of it.

I'm worried about the GP part. My record is littered with notes about drinking, including misuse and dependency. Having said that, the GP also knows I've been alcohol free since May 2019 and that I've followed all treatments and counselling to the letter.

It's the 'evidence' bit that frightens me now, because I have not had routine blood tests over the past 15 months so does that mean I'll not be issued with even a temp licence? What are your experiences of that? Specifically if you've been dependent?

If it has to be another year with routine bloods, I'll be sad but will accept it because I really do want my licence back to move forward positively and just get on with an alcohol free, happier life.

Thanks again to you all, you're such a great bunch of people.
I am also in an almost identical position. I applied for my licence in 2018 and was refused and told to abstain for a year. I have actually abstained for 21 months (applied January but only got medical September due to covid). I actually had no idea that I had to document my sobriety with my gp until a couple of weeks ago when o joined this thread!!! I’m still waiting for an outcome from DVLA but will be so gutted if I have to wait another year

I am also in an almost identical position. I applied for my licence in 2018 and was refused and told to abstain for a year. I have actually abstained for 21 months (applied January but only got medical September due to covid). I actually had no idea that I had to document my sobriety with my gp until a couple of weeks ago when o joined this thread!!! I’m still waiting for an outcome from DVLA but will be so gutted if I have to wait another year

That's what I am worried about too, that after all this they may still reject my application and make me wait another 12 months and provide documented evidence.

That's what I am worried about too, that after all this they may still reject my application and make me wait another 12 months and provide documented evidence.
It’s 100% unfair!!!! I would happily have documented my sobriety had I known. I have only visited GP once in 2 years and that was totally unrelated to alcohol

It’s 100% unfair!!!! I would happily have documented my sobriety had I known. I have only visited GP once in 2 years and that was totally unrelated to alcohol
So my GP has plenty about me on their notes, dating back to 2012. Nothing since 2017 though regarding alcohol. I am in AA, have completely changed my life and have NO intention of ever drinking again!!

Bit of an update. Had my 2nd medical on the 22nd Oct to repeat the blood test.

After a lot of apologies for the previous test being invalid, I was in the doctors office for less than 5 mins whilst a new sample was taken.

Now it is back to waiting for results to be communicated with the DVLA and for them to let me know. I've been told that my case is on a high priority but what that actually means, I don't know.

The GP forms confirmed my last drink was May 2019 so that has made me feel a bit better.

Wait and see.
I reckon you’re in a better position than me with your GP documented date. I don’t have that, I only contacted GP in September after I read these. DVLA had actually contacted GP back in April anyway, before my medical

Thats the thing though, it's not pointed out that you have to give evidence. If I'd have known then I would have done it. It seems a waste of time and resources to make people do the medical and contacting the GP only to reject you and make you do it all again but document your year of sobriety at the same time. Why not contact the GP, find out if you have sufficient evidence to back up your year of abstinence, and if not, reject before making you jump through all the hoops. It seems like poor organisation to me.

Hi guys, if you don't have a last alcoholic drink date recorded then your GP can enter the details: patient states alcohol free for last 12 months and DVLA will accept this as long as you have spoken to your GP, good luck with your next medical they treated me like this telling me my first medical was inconclusive, in total I attended 4 DVLA medicals before my licence was given back,,,,,,

Hi guys, if you don't have a last alcoholic drink date recorded then your GP can enter the details: patient states alcohol free for last 12 months and DVLA will accept this as long as you have spoken to your GP, good luck with your next medical they treated me like this telling me my first medical was inconclusive, in total I attended 4 DVLA medicals before my licence was given back,,,,,,
Hi Honestman, I called and spoke with my GP a few weeks back after reading all these. GP had already filled out my form back in April just after I’d applied but before I was invited for my medical.
My GP knows NOW that I’m doing well but it could be too little too late. DVLA spoke with them months ago and who knows if they’ll contact them again after medical? I ring DVLA regularly for updates and all they say is ‘we have all ancirnafion we need and it’s gone to the case team. They will be in touch’

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off