CDT Test (Carbohydrate Deficient Transferrin)

Convicted Driver Insurance
I generally think DVLA base their system on 'Risk' which is what insurance companies do.

If like you say you have had an alcohol addiction - can you ever be fully cured from it? Alcoholics who attend AA meetings say that there is a part of the human brain that is triggered by alcohol and most people in recovery will openly say they cannot 'Risk' just having one because the inevitable always happens........the chemical imbalance in the brain is simply not programmed to function the same.

I consider my own brain to be like a computer - it was clearly malfunctioning when I was arrested because I was drinking recklessly and irresponsibly.

My period of sobriety has helped me repair & rebuild the computer but it has warning mechanisms now that warn me of dangers and consequences.

If I ever do take a drink again (not that I want to at the moment) - I am very conscious of the side effects (feeling like crap afterwards!) and my decision making has dramatically changed - I would never contemplate ever going near a car with alcohol in my system. The events of the last 18 months have been ingrained into my brain never to go down that path again which to me is a good thing.

Going back to my previous post - the DVLA tactics have shocked me into a state of responsibility where I now know the relationship with alcohol can NEVER be brought to their attention - there, the relationship has to handled carefully.

My careful method is to stay away from alcohol at this moment in my life because I feel the benefits of abstinence are far greater than they would be if I drank a few pints of beer, say three times a week.

CJ

That's good then, So what did youput on you questonaire if you don't mind me asking? Do you think you will get your license back then?
They filled it all out for me, everything was no apart from when was last drink and I said friday had couple fosters I hadn't really but it was a way to prove there is no harm in it, 14 days later got full ten year licence reinstated, I was a HRO and second offence,

WOW! 2nd offence too, thx for that btw... so i wonder did you put yes to letting your docs know and or as well, did you let the DVLA go into your med recs, i think if you put that, they will imo as a matter of course go into them, what say you?

Paul
They can go into your doctors records regardless but they dont with everyone some like my self do slip through the net, I was second offence for drink driving also twice driving while disqualified not good and never ever will risk my licence again.

Had my results back... from nuffield test came back at 0.9% smashed that one just about now just gotta wait for the medical on the 28th

Last edited:
Not 5 weeks more like 8 weeks sorry about that. Why they make us wait a year if your so-called alcohol dependent? When you can just wait the the year out go maximum of 2 months without alcohol get your cdt.. levels down to 0.6 or 1.0% and reapply.. dont make sense

Oh, it's not as easy as that btw, you need at least 4 tests in that year to prove you're not drinking, also you may have to do that to keep your licence after 3 or 6 years (DVLA test centres), then two tests a year after that for keeping your licence
Dvla haven't sent me for any tests apart from when i was able re apply this year. After the doctor said i was so-called alcohol dependent

yeah, that's when they send to your doc for info, if it says your dependent on alcohol in your medical records, they will want you off the drink for a year and prove it via your doc, then they will put you on that 3 or 6 year test regime via the DVLA
As far as my doctor is concerned I've not drank alcohol for a year since I was refused. I had a private cdt... test done came back at 0.9%

yup, i get you, when you say refused, do you mean a licence? so the DVLA made you wait a year, then sent you for a medical that you're going to on the 28th? sorry bit confused with the refused bit?
Yeh I got refused and said I could re-apply in 2020 of this year August... medical is in 3 weeks I went for a private test off my own back to make sure it was lower enough for me to go for the dvla medical

So they refused for what reason/s and or was this due to a earlier medical via the DVLA? high value on test score ? Or did they look at your medical records and refused you due to dependent on alcohol... still a bit confused really... thanks for the replies btw
I was refused due to the doctor putting so-called alcohol dependent on the dd2 form. A medical was arranged but after them reading what the doctor put I didn't end up going as it was a straight refuse for the 1 year... I mean if you can get a score of 0.6% 1.0% after 2 months or so what the ponit in the year abstain

are so you may have to now prove over that year after the test (no matter what the score) that you don't drink alcohol for like years now, due to the doc......

if you can, read what "honestman" has put all about it on this thread... it's a long trip....

What i don't get is that they wrote to your doc before the medical, is that what you're saying? so you did not even bother going to the medical after that?
Nah because they said for me not to go as it wasnt needed... how else are you ment to prove you dont drink apart from a cdt.... test.....? Am going come in below 1.0% so I should piss the medical

Well looks like you will as you say, piss the medical, but they will ask after that to prove you don't drink for a YEAR AFTER THAT... then they will ask you to go on DVLA medicals either for 3 years or 6 years, please see "honestman's" post on here for the low down
Yeh but that's simple right just dont drink for 2 months before the test as they let you know 3 months before if am right in saying

Can I ask the following question -

Can a CDT level be low, even though your LFT readings might be above average?

I had a LFT done in August and it came back as slightly higher than it should be. The GP said its nothing to be too concerned about health wise - it could simply be a mild infection.

I've now abstained from alcohol for over a year and my very surprised my LFT was a little high. My concern now is that the DVLA find out when they contact the doctor and automatically assume I've been drinking when I have not!!!

Upon researching LFTs, unfortunately people like professional athletes can get increased LFT levels even though they are on a strictly heathy diet and exercise regularly.

At the other end of the scale, an elevated LFT can also be caused by obesity because of the amount of fat being consumed by those with extremely poor diets, even though the person does not touch alcohol.

I have been eating a lot of sugar during the summer such as cakes and chocolate so I am assuming that my cholesterol may have increased which impacts on the LFT readings.

If anyone can offer guidance about the variance between LFT and CDT, I would be greatful. I have nothing to hide - my HRO medical is not far off, but I'm mindful that my CDT level is not going to be as low as I expected because of the LFT readings.

CJ

LFT are a general indication of the state of your liver, and as you say they can be elevated for a variety of reasons.
CDT, on the other hand, is far more specific for alcohol consumption so it is possible to have A raised LFT result but low CDT %

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off