CDT Test (Carbohydrate Deficient Transferrin)

Convicted Driver Insurance
Yes mate, no matter how long ago if you've been classed as alcohol dependant unfortunately it's for life and they will treat you accordingly.....

If you say you refuse permission to contact your doctor, and your CDT is in any way elevated then they will simply refuse to issue you with a licence. As Honestman said, the way they have lumped down on testing HRO’s, they may refuse your licence no matter what the CDT result is if you refuse to have your medical records checked.

120, Don't know if that's really high or not
Bloody hell mate that's excessively high, that can put you in the prison sentence catergory, but don't worry if this is your first offence this is very unlikely to happen, however DVLA will without a doubt do investigation on you
Drink Driving Penalty
Details of offence as provided by you:
  • Specimen Type: breath
  • Alcohol Level: between 120 and 150+
  • No previous drink driving related convictions within the proceeding 10 years
  • You have not been disqualified two or more times for 56 days or more within the proceeding 3 years
Based on the information you provided above, upon conviction of driving with excess alcohol, Magistrates' sentencing guidelines suggest:
  • A driving disqualification of 29 - 36 months (if immediate custodial sentence imposed, disqualification will be extended); and
  • A High level community order or up to 26 weeks custody
Classed as High Risk Offender
Because the level of alcohol in your system exceeded 87.5 microgrammes per 100 millilitres of breath, or 200 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of blood, or 267.5 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of urine you will be classed as a high risk offender.

High risk offenders are required to take and pass a DVLA Medical before their driving licence will be returned to them upon expiration of their driving driving disqualification.
Drink Driving Rehabilitation Course
All courts usually offer first time offenders the opportunity to take the drink driving rehabilitation course. A court may allow an offender to take the course a second time where there is a good reason to do so. Offenders will not usually be offered a chance to take the course for a third time. Completing the course can reduce any disqualification period imposed by up to 25%.
Enter New Information

Paul,
With a reading of 120, they are almost certain to insist on speaking to your GP. No consent - no licence back.
consent given - find you have been lying on the form no licence back.
You want your licence back but have done nothing to get in a position where you should have a licence.

I have dealt with many people on drink drive courses where the shock of being caught well over the limit shamed them into addressing their alcohol problems and they have been much better for the experience as it was the wake up call they needed to take action.

You may not like the idea of not driving, but you blew 3.5 times the legal limit, on a second offence, having sought help for your drinking in the past, then weeks before your medical you are drinking 10 bottles of wine in one day. You have a big drink problem. Please sort it out before you get back on the road where you will be a danger to others.

so let's see 87.5 microgrammes per 100 millilitres of breath

mine 120 so that's not 3.5 over is it, or am i doing that wrong?
No mate, 87.5 is 2 1/2 times the limit (limit is 35 - 87.5 is the level you are classed as HRO). At 120 you are nearly 3 1/2 times limit. The DVLA are pretty much definitely going to want your Dr to at least fill in a questionnaire, refusing permission will see them decline you until you can prove you are not using alcohol. The only way to do this is via a Dr on a regular basis, so you are in a never ending circle!

You Say " Now i drink or far less than i did... i would not get into a car again drunk, tippsy or other wise...... ", unfortunately drinking at those types of level cloud your judgement, and lower your inhibitions. You might not intend to get in the car, but after 5 bottles of wine 1 night when you can't get a taxi and it is raining..... mmmm?!?!?

so let's see 87.5 microgrammes per 100 millilitres of breath

mine 120 so that's not 3.5 over is it, or am i doing that wrong?
yes, doing it wrong!
The legal limit is 35 in breath,
87.5 is the threshold for being a High Risk Offender at 2.5 times the legal limit.

To be precise, 3.5 times the legal limit is 122.5 ....... so I was exaggerating a tiny bit!

sorry it was over the weekend , the 10, but it's still excessive drinking i agree.... I did say one day, but it was two... but that's nither here or there really is it....

I don't think getting my blood taken for the rest of my life and calling me an Alcoholic for life is something i want to be labeled as.... I know as the story goes with the cult AA (none motor vehilce) "once an alky, always an alky) .. i don't believe that

As for seeking help, which i only got 16years later, yet the docs put me down as dependent in 2004, yeah, what does that say about these professional then?

Now i drink or far less than i did... i would not get into a car again drunk, tippsy or other wise...... i work in an explosive atmosphere and we get random drug test all the time....

Thanks for what i see a great reply btw

Paul

Paul,

In an earlier reply you said:

"i think it was in 2018 that i ask for help with drinking, think i said i was a binge drinker, got some help via taking a drug that lowered gabba or highered it "

you also say were shown as alcohol dependent in 2004.
That does seem to indicate a long history of alcohol problems, yet 2 years later you have drunk 90-100 units in a day, maybe 2 days.
Maybe you should have received some medical help, but that, or self help like AA is only ever going to work if you accept that there is a problem.
I am not trying to have a go at you, just asking that you reflect on where your priorities are in life.
You seem to be very keen on getting your licence back, is that keen ness enough to get you to take steps to address your relationship with alcohol?
Otherwise it will just be a matter of time before you lose your licence again, perhaps with disastrous consequences.

I will not bother replying to any more questions / comments from you Paul, you may be right about the 14 units, but you are not in that category are you?
100 units in 2 days, after all your issues for years and still seeking to dodge your responsibilities and deflect the discussion. I will save my advice for people who need and want help - which I am always happy to do.

lol. thanks man for taking the time to reply and now i see ..

cheers paul

Like i said before, how do you know it was a 100 units, you don't, the wine btw was 5.5% fizzy wine, as for the 14 units, hahahahaha most of the people who drink do that in a night over say the wkd.....

you are correct broski, not in the cat at all, like i can go for months without doing that, that's what i wanted 'help' for, binge drinking, yet the pros classed me as depnedent, someone like you, knew me inside out, amazing! not even 5 mins chat and they know my inner working and soul

many thanks for this reply btw, it's telling to me, maybe others too....I know you mean well, but like the taxi driver in the film, taxi driver, "you become your job"

cheers

Paul
Good luck for the future Bro! You carry on with this 'It's them not me' mentality then you are going to kill somebody. Let's hope for your sake it is yourself and not somebody else. This forum is for people who want help. you seem to have already decided that you don't need help.

Does anyone know why DVLA contacted my doctor? ( im currently wating for a GP appointment)
-I blew 119
-Answered all "no" in the medical questionnaire(apart from the 1 unit the last 6 monts)
-5 months alchool free before the ctd test(dvla wont tell me results)
-Plus i never been alchool dependent or involving GP's etc..

Aye but my ctd levels were probably low? 5 months off the booze with no abuse history?
low ctd levels enough for a pass??
Nope. CDT is 1 aspect, they look at loads of different things. A high breath reading is one they will pick up on, as is people who have been diagnosed with Depression or Anxiety. Any medication may also trigger a GP referral I'm afraid.

Your reading of 119 is enough to trigger further enquiries, are there any ‘skeletons in the closet’ that will turn up fro a GP check? If not, you should get a swift confirmation that you have your licence back.

Your reading of 119 is enough to trigger further enquiries, are there any ‘skeletons in the closet’ that will turn up fro a GP check? If not, you should get a swift confirmation that you have your licence back.
Here's my situation;
119 reading,
Last drink I've had 17th March,(dvla medical on 13th Aug)
I'm not on any medication,
Never been classed as alcohol dependent,in fact l never been to my GP in years as im always in good health!!! I don't even drink anymore..
Now dvla wrote to my GP..
But now I'm starting to hurry as the more i read into this forum from other people's experiences, the more i think they gonna refuse my licence 😥😢😭

Last edited:
The only time DVLA will refuse a licence is that if you have a high CDT reading or you have a alcohol history documented with your GP, the reason why DVLA have written out to your GP with a DD2 medical Enquires form is that your breath reading was sooo high 87.5 and above is classed as a high risk offender, and paulisme asked me about the medical questionarre at the DVLA medical "what if I answer no to all questions" and my answer is the same they `will definately write out to your GP as this has just been proved.....not saying your lying for one second but this seems to be their usual practice, and in most cases DVLA are finding alcohol issues behind drink drivers which caused them to drink drive at the very beginning.......

Last edited:
The only time DVLA will refuse a licence is that if you have a high CDT reading or you have a alcohol history documented with your GP, the reason why DVLA have written out to your GP with a DD2 medical Enquires form is that your breath reading was sooo high 87.5 and above is classed as a high risk offender, and Kevin asked me about the medical questionarre at the DVLA medical "what if I answer no to all questions" and my answer is the same they `will definately write out to your GP as this has just been proved.....
Hope I'll be alright,even a one year temp licence will do for me

Hope I'll be alright,even a one year temp licence will do for me
At any point with your GP or previous GPs have they asked you about your alcohol intake ? What GPs tend to do is ask about your drinking habits although you've gone to the doctors with another complaint and once you reply they make a decision without you being aware and record it into your notes for future reference, however if you have not had any alcohol discussion then you've nothing to fear as there is no medical history, therefore DVLA will conduct their investigation and should issue out a full 10 year licence ......one year temp licence ( period review licence ) are only reserved for problematical drinkers and dependence.....

It's a bit of a bummer, but i will probally have to do the 12 months 4 test (LFT), then see what they give me, like 3 year or 6 year thing, you know, with the medical test from the DVLA, then hopefully after all that that one year temp license with my own LFT with my dov, my doc seems to be a bit of a twerp, he said anti-craving drug is a dextox drug, which it's not
On completing their investigation on your case matey (hand on my heart) you can expect a one year period review licence where they will keep an eye on you for the next six years, the fact that you've had treatment for dependence puts you in a higher bracket of dependency again, and they will want to see that there is no threat to a relapse at any point during these six years ......

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off