Ban up July 17 - HRO - CDT Test - Coronavirus

Convicted Driver Insurance

Ffossy

Hi there,

Just wondered if anyone can help. My ban is due to end July 17th 2020. However, because I am a high risk offender, I need to fill out a D27 form and attend a medical. I have no worries I will pass, as have been abstinent from alcohol for months now. My worry is I cannot get through to the DVLA (am not a key worker) yet I live in a very rural area with my 4-year-old son and really need to be able to drive again. I am reliant on one neighbour for our shopping and really, I just need the safety of knowing I can jump in a car in case of an emergency. We are very isolated here (5 hours away from friends and family) with very few connections.

Any help, advice or just a response from people in a similar situation would be appreciated.

? (Female, 43)

Hi Flossy,
I was due my medical 1st April,cancelled 20th March my ban ended April 5th.I am a key worker and managed to speak with DVLA twice since lockdown,both times i was told DVLA will write with next course of action.... NOTHING, I've received no correspondence.Thankfully work mates have been very helpful, we can't social distance in work anyhow.
I too have a son he's 7 and without support from my parents i wouldn't be able to work. I sympathise with you being so distant from your support network.As i have and probs many of us we had a clear date when we got our lives back to a mobile normality, having served our bans.
The goalposts have been moved and its a limbo existence with no clarity...To the DVLA we're a statistic with a date stamp, not a priority despite the impact on our lives, I sincerely hope you keep upbeat and carry on like we have to.have done, and now have to a bit more x

Afternoon,

Having read the two posts on here - I thought I'd at least add my own thoughts on what may start happening from Monday (11th May), following the Prime Minister's announcement about the lockdown situation tomorrow night. I believe Boris Johnson's announcement is likely to see certain workplaces resuming in order to keep the economy moving.

My theory is that the DVLA will have to resume HRO medicals for non-key workers because -

a) the DVLA will end up with a massive backlog of HRO's awaiting medicals - the system will clog up if they hold back on this any longer.

b) certain people are relying on their licences back in order to return to work. As social distancing is probably remaining - using private vehicles would be more sensible than using public transport.

c) banned drivers kept from the road are actually not helping the economy - things like filling you car with fuel & paying road tax goes towards funding the government's books to stop the country going under.

That's my thoughts on the subject anyway. Good luck to you both in these difficult times & fingers crossed you will get those medicals done soon.

Regards

CJ

Afternoon,

Having read the two posts on here - I thought I'd at least add my own thoughts on what may start happening from Monday (11th May), following the Prime Minister's announcement about the lockdown situation tomorrow night. I believe Boris Johnson's announcement is likely to see certain workplaces resuming in order to keep the economy moving.

My theory is that the DVLA will have to resume HRO medicals for non-key workers because -

a) the DVLA will end up with a massive backlog of HRO's awaiting medicals - the system will clog up if they hold back on this any longer.

b) certain people are relying on their licences back in order to return to work. As social distancing is probably remaining - using private vehicles would be more sensible than using public transport.

c) banned drivers kept from the road are actually not helping the economy - things like filling you car with fuel & paying road tax goes towards funding the government's books to stop the country going under.

That's my thoughts on the subject anyway. Good luck to you both in these difficult times & fingers crossed you will get those medicals done soon.

Regards

CJ
Thanks CJ. Unfortunately they are still not doing them (apparently) and no idea when they will. They say it is upon advice from the General Medical Council but I just can't understand it. One person I spoke to said to ask my GP and of they agree they would put it to a panel then of agreed, it could go ahead. However, I believe this was just to get me off the phone as my GP said that they are not covered to do it. So frustrated. I cannot work, attend uni in September or have the security of a car in an emergency if this continues. Am now going to approach private doctors to see if they will but not hopeful.

Hi Flossy,
I was due my medical 1st April,cancelled 20th March my ban ended April 5th.I am a key worker and managed to speak with DVLA twice since lockdown,both times i was told DVLA will write with next course of action.... NOTHING, I've received no correspondence.Thankfully work mates have been very helpful, we can't social distance in work anyhow.
I too have a son he's 7 and without support from my parents i wouldn't be able to work. I sympathise with you being so distant from your support network.As i have and probs many of us we had a clear date when we got our lives back to a mobile normality, having served our bans.
The goalposts have been moved and its a limbo existence with no clarity...To the DVLA we're a statistic with a date stamp, not a priority despite the impact on our lives, I sincerely hope you keep upbeat and carry on like we have to.have done, and now have to a bit more x
How are you getting on?

How are you getting on?
Nowhere, getting nowhere. I haven't received any guidance or correspondence from DVLA, have logged a complaint Weds 10th June with them,
Phoned practice where medical was booked to check they had paperwork still as want to know off both if can still be used.The receptionist being the one who deals with DVLA enquiries was unhelpful,glib and basically rude. After suggesting i might want them transferring to a GP who is taking medicals She said the DVLA would contact her and ask her to destroy what paperwork they have,after pointing out this hasn't taking place then and my paperwork is still there she wouldn't answer and was far too busy with calls she was taking for her own patients. I haven't found anybody who will do the medical North West area but have read on this forum that some have been successful which gives me hope that sooner rather than later the DVLA will have to deal with all medicals, give the GP's the go ahead and sort the inevitable back log they have..I'll let you know how the complaint goes

Ffossy

I've provided a couple of updates on other threads about this topic. This situation is really becoming a massive issue for many people now, including your good self. I thought there may have been a little bit of progress back in May but sadly I was mistaken.

From reading comments from other forum members - the DVLA apparently froze medicals for non-key works for a period of 12 weeks when the lockdown started.

The lockdown commenced on the 23rd March and the 12 week milestone is this Monday (15th June). I wouldn't like to get anyone's hopes up but maybe this will be the date when the DVLA get back to business.

The issue is that many drivers being kept from the road is just going to intensify if the DVLA do not resume medicals ASAP for HRO's. Jobs and livelihoods are now at stake if certain people cannot get back on the road.

The DVLA appear to have implemented a 12 week 'freeze' and are refusing to open the flood gates until the 12 weeks has been completed. Hopefully, there are positive developments on Monday.

Many people from different sectors are going back to work the same day - alot of retailers are re-opening and some office staff are returning to their workplaces with safeguarding measures in place. I would assume, the DVLA staff like many other employees may be doing the same and if this is the case there is nothing to stop this system being held up any longer.

Good luck & keep us posted about your progress.

CJ

Hi Flossy,
I was in the same situation, I managed to get them by the balls in the end as when I spoke to the supervisor of the dvla complaints department for the second time she confirmed that her colleagues have been giving me misleading information and she could see it on the screen in front of her so I demanded an apology in writing to be able to present this to my employer, I'm now all booked for my medical and have a full apology from the dvla in writing. They were the worst establishment I have ever had to deal with, unprofessional and very rude.

I was in the same situation, I managed to get them by the balls in the end as when I spoke to the supervisor of the dvla complaints department for the second time she confirmed that her colleagues have been giving me misleading information and she could see it on the screen in front of her so I demanded an apology in writing to be able to present this to my employer, I'm now all booked for my medical and have a full apology from the dvla in writing. They were the worst establishment I have ever had to deal with, unprofessional and very rude.
Hi there. The fact that you are booked in for a medical directly contradicts the 'we are not doing any medicals as per our advice from the GMC.' If you don't mind me asking, what job do you do? I might have to issue a complaint too then. Sorry to everyone who is going through this.

That's great news, quite the result, a little ray of hope.Are you booked into your original designated doctor?

Hi there. The fact that you are booked in for a medical directly contradicts the 'we are not doing any medicals as per our advice from the GMC.' If you don't mind me asking, what job do you do? I might have to issue a complaint too then. Sorry to everyone who is going through this.
I have as from what I've read a complaint seems to get to the people you should be speaking to not just the standard look at a screen, relate some information and then spout the standard response, which as you noted is contradictory

I'm booked in in Essex so one an a half hour away, to be fair I would of travelled the planet and I'm sure most guys on here would.

I'm booked in in Essex so one an a half hour away, to be fair I would of travelled the planet and I'm sure most guys on here would.
Just spoken to a 'manager' and was told absolutely no way medicals are being conducted now, so no idea what to do. She said it could be that the paperwork for others was already sent to certain doctors yet at the same time she said no doctors were undertaking medicals. I mean, eh?

Keep complaining it drove me nuts but decided to not give up then wallop medical booked, I gave them consent to send my paperwork to medical centre in Essex then I got an email all is in place. It was hard work and it perseverance is so needed.

Hi ffossy
Just to add what others have said, keep on T them. I ended up making a stage one complaint and would have continued all the way with it.
I’m a key worker but not front line. I made that clear to them each time I contacted them. I also mentioned some personal aspects that I thought relevant (have a four year old, partner works away, I’m currently 7 months pregnant)
Thought it best to get it all in there! Eventually my perseverance paid off and my medical is booked for 20th June.
I did a lot of leg work myself, emailed a fair few medical providers etc
I think the fact I had a medical booked which was cancelled massively helped.

Thankyou for all of your replies. Will have to now go down the complaint route. They know I am a single parent to a 4-year-old and in the middle of nowhere and reliant on one neighbour but still no joy. Thanks again. Xx

Hi all. Just an update. I finally had my medical on Friday 6th November and even that wad a mistake on their part but I grabbed it. I have had underlying mental health issues for years but am doing a full-time degree, qualified as a counsellor, see clients and look after my son. Yet, still, DVLA have told me they need 'further information' now from my doctor, despite contacting him once already before my medical. The irony is, I live in an extremely rural area so not being able to drive for 2 and a half years now with a now 4-year-old is the sole factor now in my mental health suffering. The irony is just amazing.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off