Am I just worrying over nothing?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Sillyman78

I crashed my car friday night around 6.40pm in the evening, I was fine and had no injuries but the was a write off and no other individuals or parties were involved. I felt very sick with a headache and vomited immediately, Police and ambulance arrived in minutes, I was breathalysed at around 7:15pm and blew 50. My last drink of the day was around 6.20ish pm so I must have been on the down cycle. No recall of how much I drank it was mixed cocktails so unsure of the full contents, I am a male age 24 and relatively fit as 75kg

I went to hospital had my checks and doctors gave the all clear for injuries. I was then asked to provide a blood sample but the HCP did not arrive until 10:45pm and took a sample and gave me on too to indepently test. Officer was very sure that I would be under the limit if he breathalysed me again considering my reading was not very high on the roadside and said he would not be surprised if my blood sample will be below that of the limit, he mentioned u generally lose 8mg per hour on the breathalyser so was very reassuring I would not get charged.

Now I am very worried, with the time scales involved is it likely blood reading will be 80mg/100ml or less considering my initial breath reading right after vomiting mind you so may have been higher as a result was 50 which by a factor of 2.3 would mean 115mg/100ml in theory. So 3.5 hours on I feel as though I should be in the all clear. However with blood samples i know alcohol can linger much longer than breath.

Any advice and thoughts, I will be sending out my blood sample indepently first thing Monday.

Thanks

Since no other party was involved or injured it is unlikely that the police will pay to have a back calculation performed on your blood sample as this is a costly affair that involves toxicology reports.

I would say that your roadside reading is only an indicator and is nowhere near as accurate as the machine in the station. But if we work off the basis of you being 50 at the roadside at 7:15pm then it is highly likely that you would be under 35 by 10:45pm. You won't know if you are in the clear for 6 months, but if you are in the clear please take this as a lesson to never get behind the wheel of a car with drink on board again. Not everyone is as lucky as you have been and your luck will run out if you continue.

Since no other party was involved or injured it is unlikely that the police will pay to have a back calculation performed on your blood sample as this is a costly affair that involves toxicology reports.

I would say that your roadside reading is only an indicator and is nowhere near as accurate as the machine in the station. But if we work off the basis of you being 50 at the roadside at 7:15pm then it is highly likely that you would be under 35 by 10:45pm. You won't know if you are in the clear for 6 months, but if you are in the clear please take this as a lesson to never get behind the wheel of a car with drink on board again. Not everyone is as lucky as you have been and your luck will run out if you continue.

Lesson learned, I was surprised I was over the limit but should not have consumed alcohol without knowing the amount present in there or just not touched it in the first place.

I forgot to mention immediately on arrival of the ambulance I drank 1l of water, I was then refused any water from there on by the police as they said it may alter the reading so not sure if being dehydrated would affect it.

Officer said 4-6 weeks for results but HCP said it is most likely 2 months. Hence the independent test I do on my provided sample should provide clarity. I have not told my insurance I had consumed alcohol as advice of the police as I have not been convicted of anything but did say it would be my decision to take if and he was only providing his own opinion

Cocktails are a dangerous game, there's no way of tracking the units in them. In the time it takes you to drink 15 units worth of pints of beer you could have over 30 units in you with cocktails. Air on the side of caution with cocktails if you know you have to drive the next day, better to drink something where you can track the units.

Surprised the police believe that, it's a wives tale. Nothing can effect your breath or blood alcohol reading but time. No amount of coffee, rest, exercise or water will reduce your reading regardless of what people tell you. We process 1 unit per hour starting from a half an hour after your first drink.

Just sent off the sample, fingers crossed all is well! Was advised can take upto 5 weeks but did get it marked as urgent so may have it sooner

Well as another has stated.. U may be one of the lucky ones.. I wasn't but lesson learnt within 2 weeks i was in the court.. I got a ban for 1 year 4 months I think plus a fine. I was very remorseful and it showed too to the judge. Went dressed in my best suit too. Took th option of rehab drink driving course. Time flies.. Soon realised how much I didn't really need my car at all. Back drivin now and will not repeat. I look back and think of the times i gave pple lifts home. Never again. But for me it was a bad time in my life when I got caught. To be honest probably good thing. To break it to family was terrible. I couldn't. The threat of jail is the worst as we were shown a video of a bloke whose life ends up with him in prison at the course. Made some freinds too whilst on it which helped to talk over stuff. Hope all goes well for u.

Well as another has stated.. U may be one of the lucky ones.. I wasn't but lesson learnt within 2 weeks i was in the court.. I got a ban for 1 year 4 months I think plus a fine. I was very remorseful and it showed too to the judge. Went dressed in my best suit too. Took th option of rehab drink driving course. Time flies.. Soon realised how much I didn't really need my car at all. Back drivin now and will not repeat. I look back and think of the times i gave pple lifts home. Never again. But for me it was a bad time in my life when I got caught. To be honest probably good thing. To break it to family was terrible. I couldn't. The threat of jail is the worst as we were shown a video of a bloke whose life ends up with him in prison at the course. Made some freinds too whilst on it which helped to talk over stuff. Hope all goes well for u.

Thanks for the support, it really has been taking a mental stress on me and made me realise how stupid I have been. Luckily only I was affected and no one else was hurt. I am certainly more careful when I drive now and am most likely not to touch a drop of alcohol any time soon.

Just had my private lab test results back, came back at 13mg/100ml blood putting me nowhere near the limit :). Been suprer lucky with this one, has lifted a big mental stress off my shoulders.

It came as a blessing in disguise as I have now also given up alcohol!

Just had my private lab test results back, came back at 13mg/100ml blood putting me nowhere near the limit :). Been suprer lucky with this one, has lifted a big mental stress off my shoulders.

You were very lucky. From what you've said you've taken this as a massive wake up call so fair play to you!

Wow.. Brilliant.. Now make sure you advise others too to hail a cab uber etc.. ? ? WISH i had.. But it opened my eyes that rather than drink wen feelin down as in my case jus talk to Sum1 instead. I tell pple now to watch out it soon catches up with u.. The Law I mean.

just wondering if you have had your blood results back from the police yet to confirm they aren’t taking anything forward? Selfish question I’m afraid - sounds like it was in the same week that I was caught and haven’t heard back yet :/

just wondering if you have had your blood results back from the police yet to confirm they aren’t taking anything forward? Selfish question I’m afraid - sounds like it was in the same week that I was caught and haven’t heard back yet :/

Yes had a call roughly 2 weeks ago confirming the police result which was more or less the same as the lab one, the officer simply said to stay safe and dont do it again basically.

With COVID I assume it may take longer from you, also get a lab test beforehand so you know where you stand. If over you can start planning legal action nice and early

Last year I waited from May until end of October - was awful waiting kept watching the post being delivered every day

Yes had a call roughly 2 weeks ago confirming the police result which was more or less the same as the lab one, the officer simply said to stay safe and dont do it again basically.

With COVID I assume it may take longer from you, also get a lab test beforehand so you know where you stand. If over you can start planning legal action nice and early
Fingers crossed it comes soon as it was only the day after I think... the not knowing is horrible! I have my result I did in January but it wasn’t as low as yours though still under so not sure what will happen now. Thanks for sharing your story

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off