DVLA Medical affected by Coronavurus

Convicted Driver Insurance
S.42 of The Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 [1]allows disqualified drivers, under certain circumstances, to make an application to the court (that disqualified them) and request consideration for the early removal of the disqualification.

Worth saying, you cannot apply if your ban is under 2 years, I wasn’t offered the course to reduce my sentence.

I'm more than half way through my ban & as a HRO I already have enough on my plate dealing with the DVLA and their medical.

I take it section 42s will only be considered in exceptional circumstances?

CJ
I hear ya mate, but from my situation I was banned for 45 months which is a bloody long time. Especially when I will lose my job if I cannot drive soon, if I lose my job I can’t support my family either, also worth noting that I have turned my life around, makes me laugh when I read on here people saying, how long do I need to stop drinking for before blood test to ensure low CDT readings and trying to manipulate the system, I had a drink problem, I was alcohol dependant at one point but now haven’t drank for 25 months, no longer self medicate with alcohol so I feel I have exceptional circumstances ??

Fair enough.

45 months does seem harsh. When I served my community service, a fellow drink driver who was working at the community centre at the same time as me was banned for 54 months!

She was a chronic alcoholic on her second ban, and she was nicked after crashing her car at a road junction. She was that drunk the cops took her straight to hospital. When I worked with her she was still struggling with the booze and was physically unwell in her appearance. The magistrates threw the book at her & I think she escaped a custodial sentence because of her illness. I personally think she wasn't well enough at the time to do CS but I'll leave my opinions about the probation service for another thread!

Good luck with your journey anyway.

CJ

Fair enough.

45 months does seem harsh. When I served my community service, a fellow drink driver who was working at the community centre at the same time as me was banned for 54 months!

She was a chronic alcoholic on her second ban, and she was nicked after crashing her car at a road junction. She was that drunk the cops took her straight to hospital. When I worked with her she was still struggling with the booze and was physically unwell in her appearance. The magistrates threw the book at her & I think she escaped a custodial sentence because of her illness. I personally think she wasn't well enough at the time to do CS but I'll leave my opinions about the probation service for another thread!

Good luck with your journey anyway.

CJ
Thanks CJ

Update:
Called the Doctor today to see if there was any update on the situation. Secretary confirmed they are still undertaking medicals as they haven’t been told to stop by DVLA. She advised this could change at any point butgot myself booked in for Wednesday morning.
Glad I called back.

Hi all

Just seen driving tests are suspended for 3 months due to corona virus. My ban was up in less than a month, terrible timing!

Update:
Called the Doctor today to see if there was any update on the situation. Secretary confirmed they are still undertaking medicals as they haven’t been told to stop by DVLA. She advised this could change at any point butgot myself booked in for Wednesday morning.
Glad I called back.
Hi tess,are you in Northern Ireland ?

They are not allowing medicals unless you have one booked already. you are still able to attend unless the practice has withdrew itself from providing the service. If you have a medical booked then ask the dvla to look whether the practice your attending is still functioning for dvla medicals. Chances are it's not. Dvla will write to you by post to explain your appointment is cancelled , and will send a another letter confirming what you need to do.
When I spoke to the bloke, he had no idea what was gonna happen

They are not allowing medicals unless you have one booked already. you are still able to attend unless the practice has withdrew itself from providing the service. If you have a medical booked then ask the dvla to look whether the practice your attending is still functioning for dvla medicals. Chances are it's not. Dvla will write to you by post to explain your appointment is cancelled , and will send a another letter confirming what you need to do.
When I spoke to the bloke, he had no idea what was gonna happen
Slight mis-information here. Phoned my doctors yesterday and they are still allowing DVLA bookings. So depends where in the country you live.

Medical booked for the morning. Just had a call from the secretary. It’s been cancelled ☹
Hi Tess Iam in Glasgow got a txt to remind me of my appointment yesterday. so today at 14.30hrs turned up and couldn't get a reply at the door!! phoned the chosen/dvla appointed quack no reply the caretaker of the building let me in ..! and there wasn't a soul there. You'd think they could have let me know by txt again ! So obviously iam franticly then to contact DVLA nothing ! ant get through (Honestman please comments please)

Hi

My Medical was cancelled this morning, called DVLA to advise, they said they would send a letter to me. That was it, they couldn’t advise me any further!!

Hi aron
Such poor form that they didn’t let you know, could even go so far as to argue you’d put yourself at risk travelling out to attend...but that’s a different conversation ha.
Yes when mine was cancelled the secretary said the DVLA would write to me with further instructions.
I know in the grand scheme of things medicals for drink drivers won’t be high on anyone’s list of sympathy or priorities but so frustrating non the less.
I’ve done all community service, paid costs straight away, completed course to have the 25% reduction, not drank since, been organised and applied for license with plenty of time now this happens. I reckon the medical will be delayed for around three months. Then there’s all the hoop jumping from the dvla when trying to get your license back.
Worst mistake of my life ever. Serves me right I suppose but just want to get this sorted and move on.

Hi aron
Such poor form that they didn’t let you know, could even go so far as to argue you’d put yourself at risk travelling out to attend...but that’s a different conversation ha.
Yes when mine was cancelled the secretary said the DVLA would write to me with further instructions.
I know in the grand scheme of things medicals for drink drivers won’t be high on anyone’s list of sympathy or priorities but so frustrating non the less.
I’ve done all community service, paid costs straight away, completed course to have the 25% reduction, not drank since, been organised and applied for license with plenty of time now this happens. I reckon the medical will be delayed for around three months. Then there’s all the hoop jumping from the dvla when trying to get your license back.
Worst mistake of my life ever. Serves me right I suppose but just want to get this sorted and move on.
Hi Tess, you know in the grand scheme of things i know you did the crime and done the time but in my case I've never been done as DD, I merely applied for reinstment of Mt Class2 see my post DVLA TRAP I think iam being punished for a previous life I've had a clean licence for 46yrs, keep on this forum its the best

Me too guys never done for drink drive applied for my HGV same as Aaron told a doctor was drinking 30 units a week (didn't know the weekly safe amount) classed as dependant, revoked for 12 months, simples eh, licence back now but temp for 1 year, ongoing case probably every year.....I also see DVLA suspending MOTs for six months

Hi everyone ,I predicted the throw the tacho card out the window, (Same thing happened When volcano ash Iceland grounded flights PCV drivers sent to Europe no driving hours restrictions just get Brits back to UK) So suspend mot on trucks now cars !! the law states that you as a driver are responsible for fitness of vehicle tho ....wait till something happens road safety wise .the heros are our NHS but also the backbone of this UK ...the truckers hauliers who keep things moving.. So ..why the f--k are competent and sober licences holders who've never been convicted being punished by further delays ..

It's interesting that the government has relaxed the MOT policy for six months.

The danger here is that some vehicles coming up for their test shortly are unroadworthy & the idiots that own them will simply continue to drive and potentially cause hazards or accidents on the road.

I very much doubt the government will relax the DVLA medicals for six months. They will simply make drink drivers stew for a longer period than their ban would be because realistically we are a potential danger ourselves.

It seems lunacy that they are allowing other dangerous drivers to stay on the road driving death traps but keep HRO's off the road until further notice.

Thats my thoughts on the matter.

CJ

Hi everyone ,I predicted the throw the tacho card out the window, (Same thing happened When volcano ash Iceland grounded flights PCV drivers sent to Europe no driving hours restrictions just get Brits back to UK) So suspend mot on trucks now cars !! the law states that you as a driver are responsible for fitness of vehicle tho ....wait till something happens road safety wise .the heros are our NHS but also the backbone of this UK ...the truckers hauliers who keep things moving.. So ..why the f--k are competent and sober licences holders who've never been convicted being punished by further delays ..

A punishment is planned, no one is being punished with delays. Delays are an inevitable part of a global pandemic, you cannot reasonably expect doctors to prioritise DVLA beurocracy at the minute. It was a 3 hour wait to get talking to my GP's receptionist yesterday, if this is similar across the board then health care professionals are already being swept off their feet and we are currently still in the calm before the storm.

We also have to accept that people in the DVLA currently are working from home, contact centres are being closed all over the place. Even if they were issuing licences right now, where would people coming off their bans buy a car? All non essential businesses are closed, which includes car dealers and all non essential travel is banned with the advice not to meet people for sales face to face, so private car buying and selling is drying up too with more people taking the sensible approach. It isn't just people waiting on licences, everyone's life has been put on hold at the minute. I'm in the middle of doing exams, that's all up in the air... But that's not my unis fault, same way as this isn't the DVLA's fault.

It's interesting that the government has relaxed the MOT policy for six months.

The danger here is that some vehicles coming up for their test shortly are unroadworthy & the idiots that own them will simply continue to drive and potentially cause hazards or accidents on the road.

I very much doubt the government will relax the DVLA medicals for six months. They will simply make drink drivers stew for a longer period than their ban would be because realistically we are a potential danger ourselves.

It seems lunacy that they are allowing other dangerous drivers to stay on the road driving death traps but keep HRO's off the road until further notice.

Thats my thoughts on the matter.

CJ
I think this is a silly post with what is going on,spent 3 hours outside queuing up waiting for a prescription yesterday

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off