DVLA suspension of MOTs for six months

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi guys just to report that DVLA have suspended MOTs for six months, for those of us who can drive.....hang on in there the rest of you....it will come...
Hi I've just read your thread,my driving ban up up shortly,my thinking was insurance,mot and then to tax the car.if I carnt get an mot will I still be able to taxi and drive it.the last mot ran out in march2019. Thanks.

I'm not sure on this, that is a very good question, however you need to concentrate on getting your licence back first, but I would of thought the MOT suspension is for vehicles that are presently MOTd, your vehicle by the sounds of it has been standing for a while.....but again the government are stating that some garages are to remain open....maybe if you buy a car with MOT and this runs out then the suspension will kick in.....

My understanding is that if your car is due an MOT from 30th March then it can be deferred for 6 months. So if your MOT has already expired then the exemption does not cover your vehicle.

Last edited:
I'm not sure on this, that is a very good question, however you need to concentrate on getting your licence back first, but I would of thought the MOT suspension is for vehicles that are presently MOTd, your vehicle by the sounds of it has been standing for a while.....but again the government are stating that some garages are to remain open....maybe if you buy a car with MOT and this runs out then the suspension will kick in.....
Hi I was thinking along those lines,will there be any issues regarding getting my licence back,the current coved 19 outbreak and my dg10 conviction.will I have to sit a medical.

My understanding of this procedure is that a car that has been off the road for a while with an expired MOT will have to stay off the road. The temporary procedure is for cars that will have a current valid MOT coming to an end after the 30th March.

Hi I was thinking along those lines,will there be any issues regarding getting my licence back,the current coved 19 outbreak and my dg10 conviction.will I have to sit a medical.
It depends really if your classed as a HRO, if you blew over 87.5 at the station then yes you will be required to attend a DVLA medical and they will write out to your GP to see if there are any alcohol/mental health issues or drug related problems, again you'll need a CDT level to be in the green zone for a licence to be issued,or for drugs you will need to give a urine sample to show there are no drugs present(you may need 1/2 of these medicals) and obviously with the corona outbreak there's going to be some disruption......if you are a HRO then getting your licence back will take months as you have to satisfy DVLA that you are no longer a threat to our roads and that you are medically fit to drive such a vehicle and the only way you can do this is through your GP and paperwork through the DVLA and your GP ......and of course your DG10 then you will be investigated through your GP and you will have to provide medical evidence 6/12 months through your GP to show DVLA that you are clean and drug free.....

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off