CDT Test (Carbohydrate Deficient Transferrin)

Convicted Driver Insurance

Windsor12

Re: DVLA High Risk Offender Medical

Hi Guys

Almost 3 years ago I did not get round to doing the medical. Been working abroad and haven't needed to drive.
However I am back now and do need to drive - Rapido !

I have been good with my drinking so don't have any real worries but would like to do a Mock / Practice test first, just to be on the safe side. I have spoken to the DVLA appointed doctor who is happy to do it for £160.00. Not Cheap.

On the other hand I have found medichecks advertising on this forum quoting £79.00.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for these people, it is half the price and I wonder if it just too good to be true. Not wishing to cause offence but for all I know it could be some spotty faced teenager in his bedroom scamming away. I do hope not !

I would love to hear some good endorsements for this outfit, this is an important test that I need to get right first time.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: DVLA High Risk Offender Medical

Hi Guys

Almost 3 years ago I did not get round to doing the medical. Been working abroad and haven't needed to drive.
However I am back now and do need to drive - Rapido !

I have been good with my drinking so don't have any real worries but would like to do a Mock / Practice test first, just to be on the safe side. I have spoken to the DVLA appointed doctor who is happy to do it for £160.00. Not Cheap.

On the other hand I have found medichecks advertising on this forum quoting £79.00.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for these people, it is half the price and I wonder if it just too good to be true. Not wishing to cause offence but for all I know it could be some spotty faced teenager in his bedroom scamming away. I do hope not !

I would love to hear some good endorsements for this outfit, this is an important test that I need to get right first time.

Thanks.

You can read about a forum members experience using Medichecks here.

In short they purchased a CDT test from Medichecks which produced a result of 0.9% CDT.

They also had a different CDT test performed which involved visiting a hospital to provide a blood sample, this test produced a result of 1% CDT and cost nearly twice the price of a Medichecks CDT test.

The CDT blood test they had as part of the DVLA medical produced a result of 0.9% CDT, the same result as from Medichecks.

Last edited:
The Medichecks test - as guesswork, as they don't reveal the method they use - isn't as accurate as the DVLA method, but for what you are using it for, an indicative test, it will be good enough - as it is close enough to what the DVLA value will be.

Essentially, there are four tests to determine CDT - three older ones, and one newer, more expensive, and more accurate one. The DVLA use the latter. That doesn't mean the three cheaper tests won't give an accurate enough result for what you need.

Hey!

I am due to get my licence back mid March but obvy got the medical to pass first.

So, I have a few questions!

- what exactly does it entail?
- I last drank on 11th Jan but have a few work socials coming up; how long before the test should you not drink for?
- what sort of things do they ask in the questionnaire?
- what would trigger them to contact my GP?
- I use CBD oil (totally legit from Holland and Barrett). Would this trigger a high CDT? I have read a few comments about anti -depressants and understand CBD is similar to them.

Hopefully someone can help :D

I got done for drink driving, I rang DVLA to ask if I can apply. They said I can only apply if I provide proof of one year abscentise from alcohol. I asked him how he said Its up to me. Please can someone help how can I provide proof of my abscentise.

Yes mate you need to have regular liver function tests with your GP to prove that have abstained from drinking and that you are continuing to abstain, you will need 3/4 or these tests spread over the year coupled with your GPs support and a medical report from the DVLA called a DD2 that needs to be completed by your GP ...

Yes mate you need to have regular liver function tests with your GP to prove that have abstained from drinking and that you are continuing to abstain, you will need 3/4 or these tests spread over the year coupled with your GPs support and a medical report from the DVLA called a DD2 that needs to be completed by your GP ...
Do I need these with my form now or will they ask for it themself

You will also need a
Do I need these with my form now or will they ask for it
Do I need these with my form now or will they ask for it themself
As long as these tests are documented with your GP then DVLA will write to your GP to confirm this with a medical report named a DD2, your GP will enter the recorded tests on this form, however you will need a last alcoholic drink date documented with the GP as well as this is when your new temp licence will start from, very important the date otherwise they won't licence you as this forms part of your proof of alcohol abstination for 1 year...

Yes GGT is the one they will be looking at 50/70 normal high end range...mine was 60 when temp licence issued....

if you've had LFT test GGT will be on there, trust me, any one with alcohol issues this is the one DVLA will use, don't overthink it that's what your GP is there for and he'll know exactly how to respond to DVLA and getting your licence back, don't forget your last drink date ...

if you've had LFT test GGT will be on there, trust me, any one with alcohol issues this is the one DVLA will use, don't overthink it that's what your GP is there for and he'll know exactly how to respond to DVLA and getting your licence back, don't forget your last drink date ...
Well I have the copy of test in front of me and it has SGPT, SGOP, AST but no GGT. Thanks for your help

I have my medical in 4 days and I have drank 4 times in January and I have drank between 6-10 beers each time ... the last time I drank was yesturday . Will I fail the test ? I don’t drink every day it’s been one day of the weekend but when I do drink I drink quite a lot. I thought it was for people that drank everyday until I’ve checked on the website today and it mentions binge drinking can also effect the results which is what I would be classed as , should I try rearrange the appointment ? Thanks

The DVLA medical seems to scare the hell out of people but in fact it is there to detect heavy alcohol use within the last 2 weeks or as DVLA state the last month, and of course binge drinking which can increase CDT levels and possibly be classed as misuse, if you know you have a medical to attend isn't it far better to not drink at all if you value your licence at all, however it's far too late for you to abstain now, when you say you drink quite a lot what are these drinks, beer lager cider shorts, time and time again I advise people to not drink before a medical , however if you attend your medical and your CDT is in the amber zone then prepare yourself for DVLA investigations and if red then a refusal will follow, you can cancel your appointment (due to unforeseen circumstances) and DVLA will be fine with that providing you let all know therefore buying yourself time to attend another appointment....if you do cancel then you need to abstain until your next appointment which will be weeks away.....

The DVLA medical seems to scare the hell out of people but in fact it is there to detect heavy alcohol use within the last 2 weeks or as DVLA state the last month, and of course binge drinking which can increase CDT levels and possibly be classed as misuse, if you know you have a medical to attend isn't it far better to not drink at all if you value your licence at all, however it's far too late for you to abstain now, when you say you drink quite a lot what are these drinks, beer lager cider shorts, time and time again I advise people to not drink before a medical , however if you attend your medical and your CDT is in the amber zone then prepare yourself for DVLA investigations and if red then a refusal will follow, you can cancel your appointment (due to unforeseen circumstances) and DVLA will be fine with that providing you let all know therefore buying yourself time to attend another appointment....if you do cancel then you need to abstain until your next appointment which will be weeks away.....

I know it’s so daft but when I found out I googled and this came up ....
Carbohydrate-deficient transferrin, known as “%CDT,” is a blood test to detect heavy alcohol use (five or more drinks a day) over the past two weeks. 1 This alcoholbiomarker can provide clinicians with an objective way to screen and monitor clients in treatment for alcohol use disorders.
When I read this I never thought any more of it as I don’t drink every day five or more drinks. Obviously it’s getting nearer to the medical and I am getting anxious so thought I would look more into it stupidly far too late and came across this forum.
your right I do value my licence don’t we all but I suppose non of us would have been in this position in the first place. I shall take your advice and re arrange the appointment thanks ever so much for your advice I shall not be drinking for a while until my medical is complete.
thanks again ?

I know it’s so daft but when I found out I googled and this came up ....
Carbohydrate-deficient transferrin, known as “%CDT,” is a blood test to detect heavy alcohol use (five or more drinks a day) over the past two weeks. 1 This alcoholbiomarker can provide clinicians with an objective way to screen and monitor clients in treatment for alcohol use disorders.
When I read this I never thought any more of it as I don’t drink every day five or more drinks. Obviously it’s getting nearer to the medical and I am getting anxious so thought I would look more into it stupidly far too late and came across this forum.
your right I do value my licence don’t we all but I suppose non of us would have been in this position in the first place. I shall take your advice and re arrange the appointment thanks ever so much for your advice I shall not be drinking for a while until my medical is complete.
thanks again ?
Also it’s lager I have been drinking I have just read the letter and it says appointment has to be within 6 weeks of the letter but I will ring them and see what they say .

Yes I agree make a new appointment, and I think with your previous days off drinking too (you haven't been drinking every day) I think you should be fine then, but binge drinking does catch people out thank god you found the forum first, a lot have been revoked 6/12 months because of this mistake, do let us know how you get on......good luck.....

Yes I agree make a new appointment, and I think with your previous days off drinking too (you haven't been drinking every day) I think you should be fine then, but binge drinking does catch people out thank god you found the forum first, a lot have been revoked 6/12 months because of this mistake, do let us know how you get on......good luck.....
I know so glad I checked now ! Just hope they let me re arrange . I’ll keep you posted thank you

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off