Treated for depression - heading for another dip?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Bluecap

Earlier this year I spent around 15 weeks in hospital after a bout of serious depression. When released, I was told I could't drive for 3 months and would need my Doctor (Psychiatrist) to approve my fitness to drive. Last week I was sent a letter by the DVLA that requested a CDT test to assess my fitness. I freely admit that I regularly drink more that the recommended levels and know that I would almost certainly fail if I took the test next week. I am, however, capable of abstaining (e.g.15 weeks while in hospital). My questions are:
  1. The DLVA say I must attend an examination six weeks from the date of the letter - is it possible to get an extension?
  2. If I fail the CDT does that automatically an me from driving? Does the fact that I wasn't convicted for DD make any difference?
  3. Given my past history of depression, I'm trying very hard to be positive about life even though I've had no income for many months. If the DVLA ban me from driving, can I make a case around the likely affect on my mental health?
Thanks for any help in advance.

Hi, first of all DVLA would require 6 months of stability from your mental health issues and answering your questions No1 you do have six weeks to make an appointment but if you don't feel ready then you can request another appointment, No 2 if you fail the CDT then you will be revoked and depending what your CDT level was will be classed dependant/misuse No 3 people have and people do try and I say try to fight the DVLA in court but I think when the small print is magnified I think you'll find they'll have justified the reasons why they've taken you off the road until you can prove your fitness to drive....

Hi, first of all DVLA would require 6 months of stability from your mental health issues and answering your questions No1 you do have six weeks to make an appointment but if you don't feel ready then you can request another appointment, No 2 if you fail the CDT then you will be revoked and depending what your CDT level was will be classed dependant/misuse No 3 people have and people do try and I say try to fight the DVLA in court but I think when the small print is magnified I think you'll find they'll have justified the reasons why they've taken you off the road until you can prove your fitness to drive....
Thanks Honestman,
Do I go directly back to the DVLA for an extension, or do I need to go back through my GP, or the Doctor they've referred me to for the test?

If it comes to a further ban, it might be a good time for my wife and I to go back to Asia and retire! :)

Contact the DVLA on the number provided with your medical letter, ask them for a later appointment (for whatever your reasons are ) they'll probably send you out a new appointment....

I've now got my appointment for the test - 6th Jan. I'm planning to avoid alcohol for the period up to then (around 34 days). I have been drinking way too much through my depression (at least a bottle of wine per night), however, my GP doesn't think I'm dependent on it. Will I bring my levels down sufficiently to pass the test, and would having two glasses of wine at Xmas make much difference to the outcome?

I'm happy you had success in changing your appointment, 34 days is a good length of time to abstain I abstained for 1 month two days and CDT was 0.9 what I would advise though is if you are abstaining then it's best to stick to it regardless of xmas one or two drinks isn't worth it, but I would also get a medicheck nearer the time say one week before just for peace of mind..... DVLA won't give you your results over the phone but you can request them at Subjectacess.Requests@dvla.gov.uk

What DVLA recommend on their medical letter is if there's been excess alcohol in the last month then CDT levels will be raised,so 34 days you should just make it if you stop now.....

“however, my GP doesn't think I'm dependent on it. Will I bring my levels down sufficiently to pass the test, and would having two glasses of wine at Xmas make much difference to the outcome?“

You should be OK With that timeframe, but why the 2 glasses of wine at Christmas? The danger is that it could turn into more. If your frame of mind is right, Christmas will be the same with or without the 2 glasses of wine so I would advocate staying away from alcohol until your test.
you have been drinking a bottle of wine a night or more during your depression, but alcohol is a depressant so you drink to feel better while in reality you are only fuelling your depression.
You LIKE at drink, but you NEED your licence back.......

Earlier this year I spent around 15 weeks in hospital after a bout of serious depression. When released, I was told I could't drive for 3 months and would need my Doctor (Psychiatrist) to approve my fitness to drive. Last week I was sent a letter by the DVLA that requested a CDT test to assess my fitness. I freely admit that I regularly drink more that the recommended levels and know that I would almost certainly fail if I took the test next week. I am, however, capable of abstaining (e.g.15 weeks while in hospital). My questions are:
  1. The DLVA say I must attend an examination six weeks from the date of the letter - is it possible to get an extension?
  2. If I fail the CDT does that automatically an me from driving? Does the fact that I wasn't convicted for DD make any difference?
  3. Given my past history of depression, I'm trying very hard to be positive about life even though I've had no income for many months. If the DVLA ban me from driving, can I make a case around the likely affect on my mental health?
Thanks for any help in advance.
Hi what Honestman and Price say is totally correct .going back to your 3rd question. That is the last think you need to do is to try use your mental health to sway an application as it will certainly do that but not in a good way as they will look at it in a negative way . Preparation is key .. if you are planning to drink at Xmas you would be better trying to get an extension but ideally better to abstain from now until the medical totally

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off