Two medicals in a week

Convicted Driver Insurance

Hollz2012

Hi there,

This is my first post and just to clarify that I’ve never had a driving conviction. My license was revoked for medical reasons as my mental health wasn’t stable and was registered also as drug misuse (never took illegal drugs) but I did overdose frequently so that’s why.

I had a dvla medical years ago and I can’t remember if they took blood and urine but it was referred back to my gp and at that time I was granted a 1 year license / it was not renewed due to my mental instability and only recently have I been able to re-apply.

The DVLA have already written to my psychiatrist and after 8 weeks of waiting I got a letter last week advising me to go for a medical and urine would be taken. I phoned the clinic to check they didn’t need blood also but she said no, I attended next day as there was a cancellation.

It was all ok and dr wrote down no apparent signs of being under influence of drugs etc. I gave urine sample and the nurse said to me that it might be too clear and I might need to come back and do another if the dvla ask. Thought this was a tad ridiculous as after three years off the road, I just want a chance to build up my life again.

However, I’ve had a letter from DVLA dated the same as the other one but didn’t arrive till 5 days later saying I need a full medical including a blood test, sending me back to the same clinic. This is not related to the previous visit as they never even had a record I’d been yet when I called and both letters were dated same day.

I phoned and made an appointment for this week as I want a decision as soon as possible. I started this process at the start of July. I’m now slightly worried the blood test will show I have an alcohol problem.

Just looking for honest opinion. I live alone and get lonely so I do go out to the local pub maybe 4/5 nights a week and have ok average 3-4 pints of strongbow. Last night I was at a social function so had more than I would normally probably equivalent of a bottle of Prosecco and three pints of cider.

I can easily not drink, it is just boredom and I have drunk more whilst I’ve not had a car but I don’t consider myself dependant or anything but if I’m having on average 50 units a week maybe, then although going forward that would drop dramatically if driving - I’m worried the alcohol test will place me amber or red.

I don’t want to delay the test as I’m not a drink driver and know my limits but don’t know if it would be wiser to cancel Tuesdays appointment and abstain completely for a few weeks, if it was an amber reading I think my gp would support reinstatement as my cpn and pysch have already discussed before replying to the dvla and agree it is time I am given a chance. I’ve been stable in mental health terms not in hospital etc of late and I am pretty annoyed at myself that I could be outdone here by a blood test.

I am female, 33 and my bmi is about 38/39 and I don’t know if that is relevant but just thought I’d add it in.

I’ll certainly have a quiet night tonight and tomorrow but just looking for honest opinions about my potential blood test result for cdt, I know there is nothing to fear from questions or the urine I’ve previously given.

I’m posting directly as the whole issue is making me anxious and just looking to see if anyone has had a similar experience, don’t even know why they requested two different medicals on the same day, dvla must have money to burn. Anyway, thanks for reading and apologies for long post.

Hi hollz welcome to the forum, I was drinking 30 units of lager a week and was revoked for abnormal blood markers (gamma gt was raised). On my revocation letter I was classed as alcohol misuse had to abstain for 6 months and provide 6 months of medical evidence from my doctor to support my application (been waiting now ten months so far). What I would say to you is if you have been drinking 50 units of alcohol per week bearing in mind the government guidelines recommend 14 then more than likely your liver function will be raised suggesting alcohol problems.It took me 3 months for my liver to return to normal with no damage and a CDT of 0.8, however it looks like because you have been on the radar first time round it looks like they are trying to catch you out with replacing the drugs with alcohol. If you do show up in the red they will refuse your licence, amber is problematic they will investigate and more than likely class you as misuse (like me) and then you will have to wait 6 months before you can apply. What I do know is CDT testing is for the last 2 weeks of heavy drinking, even if you stop drinking I'm not sure if your liver enzymes are raised that this will give you a low CDT reading. Personally if it was me I would buy as much time as I could.....

I understand what you are saying but I’ve never mis-used drugs either, I was revoked for that reason due to overdoses when trying to take my life - this was initially in 2014.

They’ve already had a response from my doctor before sending me for these tests, I asked a few people who know me when I went out tonight (drank coke) said he reckons I would be fine, 50 units is an estimate but other weeks much less so I just don’t, it isn’t an exact science.

Also, if I look to delay it another week or two will that not look like I’m buying for time?

I know I’d drink much less and probably in the guidelines if driving again, it just became a habit to have a pint because I had no car over the last three years.

Truly don’t know, might see it I can speak to my GP today for advice before making a decision or rescheduling. I know that although I’ve never drank or taken drugs whilst driving that’s not relevant as my mental health has ensured I have this medical and I’ve been working so hard to be stable and had no idea about this or I would’ve abstained or just had a drink at weekends for the last few months.

Just an update. I have looked through my alcohol intake for the past month and a half. I had at least 20 alcohol free days in the last 6 weeks, just so happens the last week I had one night out where I was well over four drinks. On most occasions I have three pints of cider when I do go out.

Anxiety has kept me up all night trying to over analyse etc but decided I'm just going for the blood test tomorrow.

Phoned DVLA to confirm I was booked in tomorrow and had a discussion trying to ask why this has been sprung on me when I'm not a HRO. The guy said in addition to the blood sample they will take the information they already have from my doctors etc to consider decision, so if there is a problem with the sample not to worry as I can speak to them and try and sort it out.

Anyway the stress of this whole process would drive you to drink to be honest so that's why I am just going ahead tomorrow regardless with my second medical in a week, they still don't have my urine results back from last week. At no point have I been drinking 4/5 drinks a day, there is the odd day like everyone I will drink in excess but my gut feeling is that I will record maybe somewhere between 2 and 2.5% but having never had this test and since I don't have an alcohol problem, I've never had any LFT results. I have had many liver tests over the years due to the effects of overdosing but I also don't know if I have any lasting damage that would influence anything either. Crux is, the more I read and the more I think well I am just tying myself into knots and isn't helping. Why they couldn't just take the recommendation of my doctor in the first place, understand this whole process is rigorous and right now I just want a decision, good or bad but hopefully a green light.

Quiet night tonight and well booked in tomorrow at 12 so in their hands now. I'll post an update whenever I have one in a week or so. My gut feeling (again) is that my GP will be contacted for a final decision despite my psychiatrist already giving her opinion but anyway, I'll try and see my GP next week and have a conversation about it. I am going to be way more mindful regardless of outcome about how much I drink and ensuring I have plenty alcohol free days also.

Just an update. I have looked through my alcohol intake for the past month and a half. I had at least 20 alcohol free days in the last 6 weeks, just so happens the last week I had one night out where I was well over four drinks. On most occasions I have three pints of cider when I do go out.

Anxiety has kept me up all night trying to over analyse etc but decided I'm just going for the blood test tomorrow.

Phoned DVLA to confirm I was booked in tomorrow and had a discussion trying to ask why this has been sprung on me when I'm not a HRO. The guy said in addition to the blood sample they will take the information they already have from my doctors etc to consider decision, so if there is a problem with the sample not to worry as I can speak to them and try and sort it out.

Anyway the stress of this whole process would drive you to drink to be honest so that's why I am just going ahead tomorrow regardless with my second medical in a week, they still don't have my urine results back from last week. At no point have I been drinking 4/5 drinks a day, there is the odd day like everyone I will drink in excess but my gut feeling is that I will record maybe somewhere between 2 and 2.5% but having never had this test and since I don't have an alcohol problem, I've never had any LFT results. I have had many liver tests over the years due to the effects of overdosing but I also don't know if I have any lasting damage that would influence anything either. Crux is, the more I read and the more I think well I am just tying myself into knots and isn't helping. Why they couldn't just take the recommendation of my doctor in the first place, understand this whole process is rigorous and right now I just want a decision, good or bad but hopefully a green light.

Quiet night tonight and well booked in tomorrow at 12 so in their hands now. I'll post an update whenever I have one in a week or so. My gut feeling (again) is that my GP will be contacted for a final decision despite my psychiatrist already giving her opinion but anyway, I'll try and see my GP next week and have a conversation about it. I am going to be way more mindful regardless of outcome about how much I drink and ensuring I have plenty alcohol free days also.
Hi you won't get an update in a week or so .. if you do I will be shocked .. allow 3 to 4 weeks possibly months .. I'm 7 months in next week and based on what you have said re your alcohol intake you will probably fall in to the amber zone all been well .. but I would be very surprised if you will fall in to the green zone .. be positive

Well we shall see. If my blood if processed then there will be an update of sorts on the system in a few weeks, not saying I’ll have a final decision in that time.

As I said above I already expect it to be referred to my GP for a final say but that’s in their hands now.

It can takes months yes I know as I started this process at the start of July but it’ll not take months to analyse my blood. They’ll be some sort of update going forward where I can take next steps.

You can write to them requesting your CDT results @ SAR Enquiries DVRE DVLA Swansea SA6 7JL don't bother using the email it doesn't work....

Hi you won't get an update in a week or so .. if you do I will be shocked .. allow 3 to 4 weeks possibly months .. I'm 7 months in next week and based on what you have said re your alcohol intake you will probably fall in to the amber zone all been well .. but I would be very surprised if you will fall in to the green zone .. be positive
Hi can you explain more about the amber zone I drank 5 pints four days before the medical I hadn't drunk since the 17th of last month 5 pints again I only drink once a month but 5 pints 14 units in one session

Will I get my licence or a temporary licence if I come into amber I have never been to doctors for alcohol problems never had the need to just worried I wil fail they scanned blood results in today so worried any advise appreciated

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off