Admiral Insurance Drink and Drugs policy

Convicted Driver Insurance
Thank you for the update @Depressed Dad, I've been watching this thread closely as I am in a similar position (though with LV), it's always gratifying to read updates. Does that mean it's the end of it for you in terms of Admiral?

Thank you for the update @Depressed Dad, I've been watching this thread closely as I am in a similar position (though with LV), it's always gratifying to read updates. Does that mean it's the end of it for you in terms of Admiral?

Yes Drew. The statute of limitation means they had 6 years from the time of the accident to bring the case to court. They timed out so the case is effectively closed to them getting a judgment against my son.

Interesting that LV are pursuing you. I like LV and have used them since I moved away from Admiral. I will take a closer look at the policy.

Just had a quick look at LV policy document. They don’t appear to have a specific exclusion for drink and drug driving. Or maybe I’ve missed it. Admiral do (or did).

All insurers have the right to recover third party losses if the driver is over the limit. It’s in the Road Traffic Act I think and there is a legal precedent in EU law, but as far as I know very few insurers seem to invoke it.

If LV have not made this crystal clear in the policy document I would start by saying the T&Cs are not clear. Think about putting in an ‘official’ complaint to LV and if they don’t back off take it to the financial ombudsman. And in the meantime get a breakdown of the costs they are pursuing and where appropriate challenge them.

Just my thoughts without knowing the detail of individual cases. They are all different.

I checked after being arrested and there was nothing specific in it.
Briefly, I was done the morning after following a RTC - some major damage was done to both cars. I think hers was a write-off, but LV took my car for repairs (front, driver and back panels, drivers side wheel smashed in) I didn't realise I had the option to say 'no repairs' which is what my garage told me I should have done. The police then sent me a letter to say the other driver was at fault, which I sent to LV. 2 months later they write to me wanting dashcam footage as the other driver company wants to go 50/50 cost. So I contacted the policeman who arrested me asking for footage but he said they only release it to insurance companies. The footage was from the car behind me and the house opposite where it happened. I told LV this in January. Not heard anything since. I freak out every time I get post in case its from them as I don't know what's happening, and quite frankly, too bloody scared to ask them

Just wanted to say thank you so much for the update depressed dad. Had the stupid misfortune of crashing last years whilst drunk and writing my own car off and causing a fair bit of damage to the other party’s vechicle. Whilst reading my policy details before phoning admiral I realised with horror that this awful situation was about to get a thousand times worse.
Spent the days afterward googling and found your thread. You’ve been a great help and very informative. I have been wondering what came of your case, I’m glad it’s over for you and your son.
All the best
Tess

I checked after being arrested and there was nothing specific in it.
Briefly, I was done the morning after following a RTC - some major damage was done to both cars. I think hers was a write-off, but LV took my car for repairs (front, driver and back panels, drivers side wheel smashed in) I didn't realise I had the option to say 'no repairs' which is what my garage told me I should have done. The police then sent me a letter to say the other driver was at fault, which I sent to LV. 2 months later they write to me wanting dashcam footage as the other driver company wants to go 50/50 cost. So I contacted the policeman who arrested me asking for footage but he said they only release it to insurance companies. The footage was from the car behind me and the house opposite where it happened. I told LV this in January. Not heard anything since. I freak out every time I get post in case its from them as I don't know what's happening, and quite frankly, too bloody scared to ask them

My advice is to stay calm and wait for LV to contact you. You have not said that LV are pursuing you for the costs, just that there is a dispute about who is to blame for the accident and you are concerned you might end up with some liability. If the other party is to blame then my understanding is they have to pay for all the damage.

Just wanted to say thank you so much for the update depressed dad. Had the stupid misfortune of crashing last years whilst drunk and writing my own car off and causing a fair bit of damage to the other party’s vechicle. Whilst reading my policy details before phoning admiral I realised with horror that this awful situation was about to get a thousand times worse.
Spent the days afterward googling and found your thread. You’ve been a great help and very informative. I have been wondering what came of your case, I’m glad it’s over for you and your son.
All the best
Tess

Yes it may feel it’s getting worse.
Wait for Admiral to make the first move and deal with what they put in front of you.

Yes it may feel it’s getting worse.
Wait for Admiral to make the first move and deal with what they put in front of you.
Hi Depressed Dad

I have had Admiral contact me as of last Thursday. I would be grateful if you could help?

Please send me a PM when you get this.

Thanks

Hi everyone.. so it’s happened to me too.. stupid mistake last year.

Admiral are asking for £10k back - I disagree with the damage on the TP car so may challenge this.

Does anyone have any advices on the repayment plan? I was going to offer a certain amount over a long period.

Thanks

Hi everyone.. so it’s happened to me too.. stupid mistake last year.

Admiral are asking for £10k back - I disagree with the damage on the TP car so may challenge this.

Does anyone have any advices on the repayment plan? I was going to offer a certain amount over a long period.

Thanks

Hi jkeel

If you don't mind my asking, when did you receive the letter, and did they state how much you owe straight away?

Did you sign the indemnity form?

I'm in the same situation and really don't know which way to turn,

Thanks
dd

Hi jkeel

If you don't mind my asking, when did you receive the letter, and did they state how much you owe straight away?

Did you sign the indemnity form?

I'm in the same situation and really don't know which way to turn,

Thanks
dd

hi
yes I seeked legal advice and they advised to sign the form however I note on this thread other people haven't.

I received the letter 6 months later that's when they stated the amount I owe.

hi
yes I seeked legal advice and they advised to sign the form however I note on this thread other people haven't.

I received the letter 6 months later that's when they stated the amount I owe.

Thanks jkeel

I am going to want more details before I sign anything, I think. It doesn't seem right to grant them effective attorney.

I really don't know if signing the indemnity makes any difference. My son signed it and It didn't make any difference in the end.
My personal opinion is it's another lever for them to apply pressure.
Sign it and we'll help you, but you're also promising to pay. Signing it might undermine your case if it does end up in court. Who knows?

I got a bit of free legal advise and they said to sign it. I don't believe any of the legal profession think they can help.
Unless you find a legal expert willing to really take up your cause then I expect them to go with the advice you are banged to rights and locked in to pay up.

In reality it seems that cases do not go to court and the pursuit fizzles out. It's up to you if you want to test them as I did or if you want to agree a repayment plan.

Haven't been back here for a few years.

When getting information from Admiral, use the full power of the Data Protection Act . Not only using Subject Access but the bit they won't want you to know about. There is an exemption from the Act for

Information required to be disclosed by law or in connection with legal proceedings - legal proceedings, including prospective legal proceedings;

You will not find any reference to it saying you have to be a Solicitor. The moment Admiral mention the word Court, they will have invoked this exemption.

You should then be able to get everything about the other party, such as injuries or not. If they refuse, then involve the Information Commissioner.

My daughter agreed a payment plan of £50 per month, because she was worried about of getting a CCJ which would have meant her loosing her job. Personally I was all for fighting on.

The bill did come down considerably, I might have mentioned the word fraud & fraudulent more than once

One other bit of advice, under NO circumstances hand over your National Insurance or NHS number. That will make you traceable

Very useful information Steve.
Totally understand why your daughter agreed a payment plan. I think Admiral apply pressure in the hope of getting something back but seem to avoid court proceedings. I guess she's going to be paying for a very long time.

My understanding is a 'letter before action' MUST be sent before the start of court proceedings. So there is a process for them to follow to demonstrate they have done everything to resolve the dispute before taking the case to court.

Thank you to everyone on this thread and especially to you Desperate Dad... Your son should be very proud of you!

I am Desperate Mum and I've just read and copied some interesting facts from all the years of contributions.
My son has just received his first claim letter for a significant amount and whilst I don't condone his behaviour, I will not see any member of my family being ripped off to top up the coffers of greedy insurance companies
Unfortunately for said insurance company., we know the people involved in the claim and the figures just DO NOT stack up!

Can't say Im looking forward to the next 6 years of battle, but i'm inspired by you DD and hope i can find your strength.

Thank you to everyone on this thread and especially to you Desperate Dad... Your son should be very proud of you!

I am Desperate Mum and I've just read and copied some interesting facts from all the years of contributions.
My son has just received his first claim letter for a significant amount and whilst I don't condone his behaviour, I will not see any member of my family being ripped off to top up the coffers of greedy insurance companies
Unfortunately for said insurance company., we know the people involved in the claim and the figures just DO NOT stack up!

Can't say Im looking forward to the next 6 years of battle, but i'm inspired by you DD and hope i can find your strength.

You need to be patient, persistent and resilient.

I still don't know if it was incompetence, or due to my son having no money that resulted in them taking no action, or they just pursued softer targets that don't fight back. I still don't know why other insurers don't follow their line. It can only be because it's on shaky legal grounds that have not been tested in UK courts. Otherwise surely they'd all be doing it.

The thing that kept me going was that they pay up with little or no challenge and expected my son to cover the inflated costs.

It's an industrywide issue that it's far easier to make pre-medical offers or accept costs without challenge rather than carry out their own examination/investigation. Soft tissue damage claims are hard to prove/disprove so they'll just pay up.
They outsource it to claims management companies who charge exorbitant fees for car hire, car repairs and pay 'medical experts' to confirm whiplash.

Challenge everything.
Pull them up on their mistakes - for example, they gave me the name and address of the claimant by mistake/incompetence.
I ran a check on the other parties vehicle, it had been written off twice before. Pictures of the damage were unclear, no police report, etc.
I didn't pay much attention to any of deadlines they tried to set, there was nothing binding as far as I could make out.

Whatever you do don't ignore any official court papers though! Mine never got beyond implied threats of court but there is a process they must follow which should give you plenty of warning.

Still intrigued to find a single case that ever went to court.

regards,

DD

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off