Insurance No Claims - have I done the wrong thing?

Convicted Driver Insurance

DonkeyKong

Established Member
I sold my car before my court case, as I knew I wouldn’t be able to use it, so paying finance for over 2 years on a depreciating asset was pointless. But my insurance was due for renewal at exactly the same time, so I cancelled it. My license doesn’t comeback for # years now, but I had 17 years NCD with Admiral as well as a clean license I know Admiral won’t insure DR10s anyway, but is there anything I can do to keep that NCD for 2 years time, or have I just lost all of that?

When you re insure, they will want to see evidence of NCD from up to 2 years ago. If you are within those 2 years then you are fine (you get a letter or email when you were due to renew, showing the length of NCD that you had)
The are a few companies that will accept a NCD up to 3 years old. If you will be between 2-3 years then speak to a good old fashioned broker on the phone, rather than comparethemarket.com or similar, tell them your problem and they should be able to find you cover with the old NCD. Beyond that, it lapses.if you do the DDRS course does that timescale fit in with your reduced ban?

No. I sold the Car immediately after I was arrested, so it was gone before I went to court.
This coincided with my Admiral multicar insurance being due for renewal a few days before court, so I cancelled my car, and me off my wife’s car which turned it back to a single car policy. This was a few days before my court hearing.

I got 30 month ban.
when I complete your course in December, this reduces to 2years.
i can’t remember the exact date my license will come back, but based on the reduced ban, that will be about 2 years and 1 week after I cancelled insurance. Sometime in May 2020. At that point it will be just over 2 years since I had any car insurance.

Ok, it was the 2 years gap bit that was missing and confused me.
Are you only getting 6 months off a 30 month ban? The minimum reduction is 3 months, the wording is “up to 25%” off on completion of a DDRS course, so you could be getting 7 1/2 months off, not 6. Are you sure what the court told you the reduction will be?

Ok, it was the 2 years gap bit that was missing and confused me.
Are you only getting 6 months off a 30 month ban? The minimum reduction is 3 months, the wording is “up to 25%” off on completion of a DDRS course, so you could be getting 7 1/2 months off, not 6. Are you sure what the court told you the reduction will be?

Ok, so it turns out I was wrong. I will get my license back at the start of May 2020. I cancelled my insurance at the end of May 2018. So, as long as no claims is honered for 2 years, I can get 17 years and 0 points carried over. You are right about the 7.5 months. Cheers!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off